Need some help, bought a 5.0 uconnect head unit and need mic setup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2k2wranglerx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys,

So i bought this head unit off ebay that was marked as being out of a 2014 ram. It's going into a 2014 Ram 2500 with the 3.0 system (backup cam in the mirror).

20161116_074058_zpsbo2ricez.jpg

20161116_074111_zps36nsb2cl.jpg

20161116_074104_zpsyjtahaq7.jpg

I need some help. At the same time i ordered the radio i ordered a single mic but apparently I need the adapter for it.

Here's my question. i'm seeing uconnect mirrors all over ebay for avengers and darts and other stuff for like 60-90 bucks. Can i use a non-ram mirror?

Also, can i get a mirror without the backup screen and then just use the 5.0 head unit instead (since it's bigger anyway)?

Basically i'm just trying to figure out exactly what i need to make this head unit hands free. I bought our foreman in WV a nice diesel ram but forgot that they have to use hands free by law in WV!

Thanks guys!

OP
OP

2k2wranglerx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
eh, i just impulse bought the kit. I figure it's all there. Do i need anything else?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I'm late to the party here and not sure by the sound of things that what you are getting will work for you but what you may still want to consider is:

- Swap out current backup cam mirror for the "mirror & Mic' setup for the RA2+ trucks. You may need the mirror harness but probably not.
Optional parts
- 911/Assist AutoDimming Mirror: - 68096091AF (sales codes req'd)
. . . or RA2 style Manual Dim Mirror w/mics: - 68102484AA
. . . (Mirror Mount Covers if Needed: Upper - 1ZA38DX9AA and Lower - 1YW11DX9AA )
- Mirror Header harness: - 68207372AB

- 2013-2016 Ram Radio Removal 6-27-16.pdf
- 2013-2016 Ram RearView Mirror (w/mics) Upgrade & Harness install 7-8-16.pdf

- You can swap (Re-Route) the 3 video signal wires over from the mirror connector (behind pass. air vent pins 8,9,& 10) to the back of the radio (pins 31,32, & 33). You will need a harness with correct radio pins to do this.
get rid of back up camera in mirror?
NOTE: Because its a 2500, you may already have wires for an optional "3rd Brake light/Cargo Cam" at pins 31,32,32 that would need moved/removed from the radio connector. See camera thread.

- With the ra2, you will likely want the upgraded steering wheel buttons (VR/Phone) added to your wheel (can also add the steering wheel "audio" buttons on the back) or you could just look for a complete used wheel with all the above to swap out for about the same $.
DIY: 2013+ OEM Steering Wheel Audio Control Install

- You can even upgrade to the RA4 later if you want. DIY: 2013+ RA3/RA4 8.4" Radio Conversion Upgrade

You may also want to take a look at: Installing OEM backup cam. Pay attention to the links & schematics. Lots of reference info in one location.

PS: You do need the RAM mirror and parts vs from another Chrysler vehicle. Best bet for hands free: look for and swap out the steering wheel with one that has everything on it already. Replace the mirror with the one that has the two Mics on it.
You can always move/extend the backup cam video wires over afterwards.

EDIT:
That Ram Uconnect kit from OemAuto does have the correct mirror and harness, but is way overpriced vs searching via LKQ online or ebay (about 2x). As mentioned, you probably won't need the harness and that setup won't have the VR/Phone button switch you need for the steering wheel. Someone around here knows the part # for the VR button assy w/o 8spd tranny.

Oem Backup Cam Post 1003

Also: Parts from 2013-2016 Ram (maybe 2017) should all be compatible.

Attachments

• Mirror Cam i340 Inline-IP Mirror Int Jmpr.JPG
    Mirror Cam i340 Inline-IP Mirror Int Jmpr.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 161
  • Radio Cam Pins.JPG
    Radio Cam Pins.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 164
  • Mirror Cam i340 Conn Location.JPG
    Mirror Cam i340 Conn Location.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 213
  • Mirror Cam i340 Conn.JPG
    Mirror Cam i340 Conn.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
OP
OP

2k2wranglerx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm late to the party here and not sure by the sound of things that what you are getting will work for you but what you may still want to consider is:

- Swap out current backup cam mirror for the "mirror & Mic' setup for the RA2+ trucks. You may need the mirror harness buy probably not. (links coming)

- You can swap the 3 video signal wires over from the mirror connector (behind pass. air vent pins 8,9,& 10) to the back of the radio (pins 31,32, & 33). You will need a harness with correct radio pins to do this.
get rid of back up camera in mirror?
NOTE: Because its a 2500, you may already have wires for an optional "3rd Brake light/Cargo Cam" at pins 31,32,32 that would need moved/removed from the radio connector. See camera thread.

- With the ra2, you will likely want the upgraded steering wheel buttons (VR/Phone) added to your wheel (can also add the steering wheel "audio" buttons on the back) or you could just look for a complete used wheel with all the above to swap out for about the same $.
DIY: 2013+ OEM Steering Wheel Audio Control Install

- You can even upgrade to the RA4 later if you want. DIY: 2013+ RA3/RA4 8.4" Radio Conversion Upgrade

You may also want to take a look at: Installing OEM backup cam. Pay attention to the links & schematics. Lots of reference info in one location.

PS: You do need the RAM mirror and parts vs from another Chrysler vehicle. Best bet for hands free: look for and swap out the steering wheel with one that has everything on it already. Replace the mirror with the one that has the two Mics on it.
You can always move/extend the backup cam video wires over afterwards.

Thank you so much, that was what i was looking for!

i bought the mirror i linked. since it comes with all the parts. my company paid for it and rather than piecing it together i just ordered the "kit".

so it looks like to get my setup to fully functional, i'll need to install that kit, but switch over the backup cam screen wires from the harness out of the module and direct them back over to the head unit.

Thanks man!

OP
OP

2k2wranglerx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
n00b question also, for pin #'s. they start at the top and go across like i'm reading a book right?

so for example

correct?

OP
OP

2k2wranglerx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
oh and last question,

i'm guessing those pins in the factory harness will be missing... do they sell pins to add the wires or the correct harness/connector?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
n00b question also, for pin #'s. they start at the top and go across like i'm reading a book right?

so for example

correct?

oh and last question,

i'm guessing those pins in the factory harness will be missing... do they sell pins to add the wires or the correct harness/connector?

It's possible to get the needed pins for the radio and mirror connector behind the air vent, but may take some digging. I have the PN info for the pins at the radio connector (even have some). It's very possible to make a harness with the correct pins on both ends to insert in both connectors to do the re-route or just put the radio pins on one end and splice/solder onto the wires behind the air vent. Not sure what the length would be but I'm guessing about 70".

The numbers are 'embossed' on the connectors at the first and last pin (sometimes above every cavity as well). NEVER assume the pin order, always look for the embossed pin "1", etc.

I'm way overdue for bed (3rd shift). If you want, PM me your phone # and we can discuss a good time to talk. If you are nearby, I can help you out as well.

JFish

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd like to buy a harness for rerouting camera from mirror to radio. The version 2.

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd like to buy a harness for rerouting camera from mirror to radio. The version 2 for $60 please. Email is [email protected]. 2014 RAM 2500 Tradesman
Just send Mpgrimm2 a PM [emoji1303]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

JFish

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I tried to start a conversation. How do you send a PM?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I tried to start a conversation. How do you send a PM?
Above on post #9 touch or click on Mpgrimm2 avatar , then touch or click messages then PM

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

JFish

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I tried what u said. His message window is not open like other people’s are. JF

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I tried what u said. His message window is not open like other people’s are. JF
Pm replied to with my contact info.

It would be a good idea to remove your email info from your prior post.

M² Mods.

JFish

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mirror, mirror harness, BU camera reroute, RA2, and steering wheel install complete. All good to go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JFish

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The BuCam reroute cable version 2 I got from M2 Mods was awesome. Those guys really make slick products and provide great communication and guidance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk