Need some help troubleshooting my TPMS system!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys,

I could need some help getting rid of my “Service Tire Pressure System” error message.

I have a 2013 RAM 1500 with 40k Miles and the 433mHz wheel sensors.

A couple weeks ago the “Service Tire Pressure System” Message appeared in my EVIC while underway. The drivers side (left) rear tire showed no reading and was highlighted in red. On the next start everything was fine for a couple Miles before the error message appeared again, showing no reading from the same tire. After that I got the error message right from the start.

View media item 26939
Ok, no big deal, I thought, battery in left rear tire sensor is probably about to die - just replace the sensor. Bought an OEM sensor and had a tire shop install it. Error didn’t went away, and no reading from said tire came ever on.

Ok, I thought, maybe the sensor was faulty. Bought another one (Mopar OEM) and had it replaced. Error still present, even though the tire shop confirmed with their handheld scanner that the sensor was working before they installed it.

I then swapped the rear wheels left to right and went for a test drive. Error message was still present, still on the LEFT (!) rear tire. Right rear tire (the one with the new sensor in it) showed accurate PSI readings!

View media item 26938
I then disconnected the starter battery over night and tried again this morning.

I still got the “Service Tire Pressure System” error message a couple seconds after turning on the ignition - even with the engine not even running! It still shows the left rear tire as the culprit even though the tire with the new sensor in it is currently on the right side!

I hooked up my code reader, but there were no stored error codes anywhere in the system. Cleared everything anyway, which still not solved the problem. Of course.

I know, there is no need for resetting the TPMS system or performing any sort of learning procedure other than driving it. It should pick up the sensors after about 10 minutes of driving above 15mph and of course I drove that damn thing in between all my attempts to get rid of the error message to no avail.

Now I’m starting to run out of ideas.

Next on my list would be to unplug the TPMS module and check the connections.

Anyone with any other/better ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

David

*update*
Unplugged and re-plugged the TPMS module. Unfortunately nothing has changed.
Now I’m seriously considering to buy a replacement module. :confused:

View media item 26936

Last edited:

Redheadhunter21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
With one bad sensor when you swap tires around they wont update, however once fixed they will update. You can go to the dealer and they can manually input the sensor id in. Did the tire shop check the sensor once installed or before installing.

OP
OP
DavidN

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Honestly, IDK if they checked after install.
I brought in the tire and the sensor. Sensor was checked at the counter before installation, can’t say, if they checked again when installed.

I can see what you are saying, BUT when I swapped the tire with the replaced sensor to the right side, I got correct readings from that tire (readings even changed while driving/tire warmed up). So the new sensor IS working, right?

Is the stealer really my last resort?

Last edited:

Nystagmus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn CC
Engine
My ‘14 Longhorn is currently doing the same thing. Left-rear tire. Sometimes it goes away and works properly, but seems to come back when it gets cold.

OP
OP
DavidN

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interesting!
That’s exactly how my issue started a couple weeks ago.
Can you swap the left rear tire to another location on the truck and see what happens?
My guess is that it’s the module not the tire sensor.
And obviously when the module goes bad it shows no reading from left rear tire.
(Found some similar issues on the Durango forum.)

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sub'd. Same issue with front driver side on my 2014. Had new tires put on last year and it went out as soon as I drove off. Has never worked since, same one not working even after a couple tire rotations since. The shop that did the tires said the battery probably died. What a coincidence, I'm not buying that baloney.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
You will have to go to the dealer have them program in new sensor. They'll be able to clear the code. I just went through something similar. I ran my winter wheels without sensors for a couple of months and had the service tpms message. So I had a garage install some oem sensors in. Waited a couple of days drove 100+ and still nothing. Took it to the dealer and they could only get 3 to work. Waited a week and had it replaced under warranty and has been good to go. If you can somehow verify that the new sensor is working correctly and is sending out the correct frequency if you have alphaobd you can do a rolls test and it should make the truck read the sensor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
DavidN

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the info!

It’s just weird, about two years ago I had a bad sensor. Bought an OEM replacement, had the tire shop install it, drove off their lot and after a couple hundred yards it was picked up by the system and everything had been fine ever since.
This time all symptoms were the same, just on a different tire.
Did exactly as last time (even bought the exact same sensor from the same vendor) and now this sh..t.

And - there is no stored code, at least none that I could read with my Diablosport handheld unit. Sais - no stored codes. Also weird.

Redheadhunter21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Honestly, IDK if they checked after install.
I brought in the tire and the sensor. Sensor was checked at the counter before installation, can’t say, if they checked again when installed.

I can see what you are saying, BUT when I swapped the tire with the replaced sensor to the right side, I got correct readings from that tire (readings even changed while driving/tire warmed up). So the new sensor IS working, right?

Is the stealer really my last resort?

From what I have found if there is a fault with one of the sensors it basically freezes tire locations. So it will still track tire pressures of the good sensors but will not allow sensor locations to change when tires are rotated. Easy way to confirm this is to raise your left tire air pressure up 5psi, take a short drive if needed and I expect your right tire pressure will be 5psi higher.

OP
OP
DavidN

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That’s definitely something I will try!
Thanks for the idea!

OP
OP
DavidN

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Redheadhunter21
You are “da man”!!!

It seems, that the module indeed “freezes” the position of a bad sensor, and on top of that, of ALL sensors on the truck!

How I found out?
By lowering the tire pressure on only one tire to 32 psi, one tire a time and do a test drive after each pressure change.
The only tire that didn’t affect the psi reading in the cluster was the front left tire. o_O

What happened in my case was, that when I brought in the truck for the first time to change the bad sensor in the rear left tire, the tire shop also did a free tire rotation.
So, they replaced the bad sensor in the rear left tire with a faulty one and then rotated the tires (front to back).
When I left the lot the cluster still showed the rear left tire without reading and I still got the service tpms error message.

Relying on the EVIC reading and therefore assuming it was the sensor in the rear left tire that was faulty, I bought a replacement, took the rear left tire to the tire shop and had them replace that sensor.
Not knowing, that the bad sensor now was in my FRONT left tire.

So what they did was replacing a perfectly working sensor with a new one. And I still have the faulty sensor, only now in my front left tire.
Makes sense? Sounds complicated? Yes indeed! ;)

Next step will be to have them replace the front left tire sensor and see what happens...
At least I had them give me the replaced sensor back, so I have a sensor here that I know works.

I’ll keep you posted...

TonyMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 CC 6"4 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Then after you replace it with a good sensor, do you need to „reset“ the system or not?

Redheadhunter21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Nope should be no reason to reset them once you have all working sensors.

OP
OP
DavidN

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Quick update - I took the truck to the tire shop this morning.
They confirmed the sensor in my front left tire was bad.

I had them put in the working sensor they took out of my rear tire last week. After that they did a scan all around and were able to pick up all 4 sensors.

I left the lot with the EVIC still showing the error message (no reading from rear left tire) but didn’t got the chance to drive for 10 consecutive minutes without stopping (rush hour).
So the system didn’t pick up the missing sensor yet.

Hopefully I’ll be able to drive it without stopping for the needed 10 minutes later today.

OP
OP
DavidN

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Solved!
After another run, this time without stop-and-go traffic, the system picked up the missing sensor and re-placed all psi readings to their correct mounting locations.
I’m glad it worked out without having to see the dealer.

View media item 26958

Nystagmus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn CC
Engine
My ‘14 Longhorn is currently doing the same thing. Left-rear tire. Sometimes it goes away and works properly, but seems to come back when it gets cold.

Mine has been working fine for the last 10 days or so...since it has warmed back up a little.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio