need some help with this 05 ram 1500 4.7L v8

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avp12304

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005, 2006
Engine
4.7, 5.9 Cummins
coming home from work today, right as i'm pulling into the driveway, the truck starts idiling like crap seemingly out of nowhere, it almost stalls out, i replaced the air flow sensor, cleaned the throttle body (its a mechanical throttle body but idler valve for it is electric) as best as i could, sprayed a few sprays into the idle passage on the TB but didnt wanna go crazy with it in fear of messing up something electronic on that idler bypass valve.( on the throttle body when the truck is running at idle, with the air box off of it...the air going in is kinda loud, through the idle passage on the throttle body, is this normal?) if i rev the truck up to about 1000 rpm it seems to run just fine but at idle is where im having the problem...any ideas? should i adjust that idler screw for the actual throttle blade? or am i completely on the wrong track here and its an o2 sensor or somethin else all together? cause nothing has seemed to change much... any help is appreciated, thank you! (truck has about 168k miles)

KoboldTaco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
First, this thread is not going to solve your problem, but I feel I need to help you not make the problem much worse.

Don’t make your situation worse by guessing. Solve the problem by repairing the issue. Do you have someone who has a proper computer to hook up to the diagnostic port? Then you can go into the misfire diagnostics and see if you are increasing misfire counters, and also check the airflow sensor readings etc to make sure as much of the air flow system is in spec. I really feel your best next step is to hook your car to a proper diag system and start looking at the data.

OP
OP
A

avp12304

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005, 2006
Engine
4.7, 5.9 Cummins
i bought the car bluetooth OBD2 scanner, the RepairSol2 from advanced auto about a year back, would that suffice? i dont really know what im looking at as far as the numbers go though

OP
OP
A

avp12304

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005, 2006
Engine
4.7, 5.9 Cummins
also i get codes p2305 p2302 p2323 p2311 p2308 p2314 p2317 which are all the same, they say ignition coil (1-8, not 7 for some reason?) secondary circuit-insufficient ionization...still tryin to google what the hell that means exactly

Later2u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you still have the original spark plug wires? If so, change them out to shortys along with new copper top plugs.

OP
OP
A

avp12304

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005, 2006
Engine
4.7, 5.9 Cummins
i changed just the spark plugs probably about a year ago, maybe year and a half so the plugs are fairly fresh, didnt change the wires or coils though...that being said, i disconnected a few coils while its idiling rough and it still made no change...i dont get it??

Later2u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If the spark plug wires are the same as 2004, get rid of them. They criss cross the engine and if they have never been changed, they need to. Get the shortys, you'll wonder why you didn't sooner.

OP
OP
A

avp12304

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005, 2006
Engine
4.7, 5.9 Cummins
ok man, im gonna get this thing running right, one way or the other, then im gonna add that to the list of things to do to the truck to "future proof" it