Need some Input on special ordering a mega cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brucebmendoza

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Hey guys. New to this forum and I’m from L.A. California. So I have been a GM guy through and through since I would watch the like a rock commercials growing up as a kid. Those square body GM trucks were my dream trucks. Had a 85 GMC 3500 Classic 454 V8 reg cab 8’ bed. Then had a 2006 Chevy 2500 8100 V8 reg cab with a 8’ bed loved the reg cabs lol. But now after renting a 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie level 2. It was love at first sight. So I’ve decided I want a new Ram. So I’m thinking should I get a 1500 crew cab Hemi etorque with the 6.4’ bed or just get the 2500 mega cab with the Hemi. My needs are as follows.… Family City driving, maybe few road trips to Vegas and up north to Oregon Washington. We some fat hogs each of us weigh 250lbs easy so yeah thousand pounds easy so I say another 1 thousand pounds for cargo so payload 2k minimum. But I need rear butt warmers for the wife and kid Lol so Laramie level 2 it is Lol. And I’m definitely gonna special order my Ram. So should I order through a small dealership or larger dealership ? I’ve been seeing people taking delivery on their Rams nearly 6 months tho.

p8ntballa9362

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
honestly if youre not towing and getting the cummins or the 6.4 hemi, you might as well save a boat load of money and get the 1500. thats in sticker price and parts. youll be under warranty, but heavy duty parts are always more expensive/ harder to come by. i would get the towing package cause my trailer with 2 4 wheelers makes mine sag a bit. dad has the airbags which havent given him any issues, but if you lift it or mess with em theyre a pain, ive heard. plus if they go out theyre expensive as ****. idk much about the e torque, but what i do know is that its extra moving parts and extra money when something messes up. the cost benefit ratio seems off in my opinion... especially at 400 hp/ft lbs stock. honestly for you, id save the extra money and go with the laramie and what ever other options youd like. i have a crew cab and theres plenty of room for me back there much less the lil crotch goblins. im 6'2'' 275. idk if they do a crew cab with the long bed, but if they do thatd be cool. just make sure you get the cooled seats too... first time i felt that in a Ford, my life was changed. nothing like a cold breeze on you taint on a hot texas day lmao. all this is just my opinion of course. welcome to the family brother. much love to you and yours.

OP
OP
brucebmendoza

brucebmendoza

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Thanks brother. I was thinking the same. That 1500 I rented handle it like a champ. And you’re right the HD parts are more expensive I’m looking at now. Damn wish Ram made the mega cab in the 1500 serious lol

Gommer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500, 2018 2500
Engine
5.7 and 6.7
For primarily city driving you'll really enjoy the easier parking of the 1500. As a previous owner of an eTorque, though, I'd personally avoid it. I had a lot of issues with mine and when any tiny little thing happens it requires the dealer to reset it. When the eTorque system goes into that safety mode it also stops charging your vehicle. So what'll happen is you'll get a warning light that eTorque had a boo boo and then 20-30 minutes later your vehicle will have a dead battery, even if you're driving.

Your mileage may vary, but that was my experience and it soured me on the whole hybrid drive idea.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
dealerships size wise ( large or small )

Larger dealerships likely can order more Rams per month

My dealership in more normal times, always sold 30 Rams per month, therefore, each month they can order 30 Rams

A small dealership may only have 15 Rams in normal times & they can only order a small number of Rams per month

This is called Allotment, if Ram Headquarters give a dealership an allotment of 30 Ram per month, that dealership can't order 31 for that month.

So the 31st order would go on the following months allotment.

If you want a Laramie, that would be a 5th Generation Ram
Right now they are building 2022 Rams 5th Gen

They are NOT saying when the 2023 Rams can be ordered
But any time now, they will be taking orders for the 2023 Ram Laramies & chances are good, it could be in your driveway by Mid September ?

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel

OP
OP
brucebmendoza

brucebmendoza

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
dealerships size wise ( large or small )

Larger dealerships likely can order more Rams per month

My dealership in more normal times, always sold 30 Rams per month, therefore, each month they can order 30 Rams

A small dealership may only have 15 Rams in normal times & they can only order a small number of Rams per month

This is called Allotment, if Ram Headquarters give a dealership an allotment of 30 Ram per month, that dealership can't order 31 for that month.

So the 31st order would go on the following months allotment.

If you want a Laramie, that would be a 5th Generation Ram
Right now they are building 2022 Rams 5th Gen

They are NOT saying when the 2023 Rams can be ordered
But any time now, they will be taking orders for the 2023 Ram Laramies & chances are good, it could be in your driveway by Mid September ?
Sold. You answered my question perfect. I’ll order it in august in time for my birthday Feb 2 lol.

Elcorbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My local small dealer said special orders do not count against the dealers allotment. They are treated separately. The special orders take priority over dealer allotments. We shall see because I ordered mine last week. I was given a VIN yesterday but order tracking has yet to show any status.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963