Need some leveling advice/opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GRKN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I have a 2009 1500 4x4 and bone stock, I've wanted to level/lift it a couple inches ever since I bought it. It currently rides pretty rough, I don't know if it's worn out 14y/o shocks, or maybe the early 4th gen suspension wasn't as nice, or I've heard some theories that since it's a single cab there's less weight which makes for a stiffer ride. Anyways it's a lot rougher then other later 4th gens I've drove and I'd definitely like to improve that. I'm hoping to gain approx 2.5 to 3 inches in the front, and an inch or so in the back. I definitely need to keep the ability to haul stuff and tow.

From what I've heard the obvious solution is bilsteins, and that's my plan for the front, the rear is where I'm unsure. I could go with bilsteins in the back also and just do a 1" rear spacer, or could it be worthwhile to do new rear springs also? I've heard certain jeep springs fit. Another option I thought of would be a softer rate spring with helper bags so I can stiffen it back up when hauling, but I think that's a little excessive and pricey for my needs. I'm not really picky about it, I'd just like to make it feel more like a 1500 and less like a 2500 lol.

Another thing is, I'd set the front Bilsteins to 2.8", which would be getting into upgraded UCA territory. I might be able to get some zone UCAs for cheap, but I understand they're one of the beefier UCAs out there, and another thing I want to do in the future is 35s or at least 33s on my stock 17" wheels, so would clearance to the UCA be an issue there?

Just looking for some input and advice here.

Rebob0510

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ive got the 5100 Leveling Bilstein's on the front at 2.1 lift and Just recently ordered the matching rears from @Nick@GotExhaust and I am going to install them with a 1" rear spring spacer. My truck is a 4x4 crew cab so im sure the weight distribution is much different than the single cab. The truck seemed to drive and ride better with the Bilstein's on the front and im looking forward to feeling the change on the rear when I install them this weekend. My fronts had 60k last year when I changed them and now im doing the rears at 78k. For towing I have Timbren rear bump stops I install to haul my camper and it helps alot but the ride is roughhhhh. The helper bags would be a nice option as well. Get ahold of Nick on here when you are ready..... Awesome service, pricing and shipping speed!!!

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If your shocks are worn it should be a bouncy ride, not a rough ride. Rough ride would be having springs that are too stiff or off road shocks or some other suspension issues

OP
OP
GRKN

GRKN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If your shocks are worn it should be a bouncy ride, not a rough ride. Rough ride would be having springs that are too stiff or off road shocks or some other suspension issues
That's why I was wondering if new rear coils might be worthwhile. I think I'll start with bilsteins all around and see what happens

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's why I was wondering if new rear coils might be worthwhile. I think I'll start with bilsteins all around and see what happens

Just saw this after I reasoned to your message. If you are considering doing coils I would consider going with the Eibach Pro kit. You get all 4 coils and shocks and struts. This will ride better than stock and perform much better off road. This will also ride better than doing 5100's all around because you are getting better than stock coil springs all around as well.

OP
OP
GRKN

GRKN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For towing I have Timbren rear bump stops I install to haul my camper and it helps alot but the ride is roughhhhh.
Your mentioning this got me thinking, it does feel as though it's bottoming out. So I crawled under there and sure enough, it looks like the previous owner installed aftermarket bump stops. There's only an inch or less before it hits. I'll have to get some oem bump stops and hopefully that makes a big difference.

337588079_1472022283330089_3278687255760253747_n.jpg

Rebob0510

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those are definitely aftermarket, The stock ram ones are white in color and are about a inch or more shorter and much softer material. When I drive around with the timbren bumpstops in without the trailer on and you hit a bump it rides like my brothers 2500 does LOL

brayres

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Just saw this after I reasoned to your message. If you are considering doing coils I would consider going with the Eibach Pro kit. You get all 4 coils and shocks and struts. This will ride better than stock and perform much better off road. This will also ride better than doing 5100's all around because you are getting better than stock coil springs all around as well.
Eibach has 10% of starting today. I think its good for a week or two.

bigdog85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
this is my 2010 with a 2.5 inch level with 35x12.5r17 on the stock rims only time i had any rubbing was when i did hard lock turns it rubbed the sway bar lightly not enough i ever worried about it
IMG_0004.JPG

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eibach has 10% of starting today. I think its good for a week or two.

Always check in with us by message for a quote. We always do our best with pricing and current specials.

OP
OP
GRKN

GRKN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
this is my 2010 with a 2.5 inch level with 35x12.5r17 on the stock rims only time i had any rubbing was when i did hard lock turns it rubbed the sway bar lightly not enough i ever worried about it
View attachment 517909
Very helpful, thanks! I gather you don’t have it anymore? Do you by any chance have any pics of or remember what clearance to the UCA was like? I’m concerned the beefier zone UCAs would rub, I heard about another guy having that issue once but don’t recall the particulars on the setup.

metalchewy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 TRX4
Engine
4.7L
Here is my 2010, bilstein 5100s front and back.. set at 2.8 (2.1 higher than stock. UCAs changed out. 285-70 17s
20220813_123440.jpg
Airlift 1000 bags set at 4lbs on back for those loads that might make it sag a bit can pump it up.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here's my 19' with front and rear B8 5100 Series Bilstein's installed at the same time in the late summer of 19'.

The fronts set at 2.1" height increase and rolling on BFG K02 LT285/65R20's, with stock rear springs and no rear height enhancements.

Still maintains a very slight rake as I do haul and tow once in a while.

The ride quality is fantastic, as are the handling characteristics.

Attachments

• 20220512_094134.jpg
    20220512_094134.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 15

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your mentioning this got me thinking, it does feel as though it's bottoming out. So I crawled under there and sure enough, it looks like the previous owner installed aftermarket bump stops. There's only an inch or less before it hits. I'll have to get some oem bump stops and hopefully that makes a big difference.

View attachment 517623
Put the stock jouncers back and that should you give a lot of comfort back.
These are the stock jouncers
52791469164_51d5646d92_k.jpg2023-04-03_01-40-17 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Last edited:

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here's my 19' with front and rear B8 5100 Series Bilstein's installed at the same time in the late summer of 19'.

The fronts set at 2.1" height increase and rolling on BFG K02 LT285/65R20's, with stock rear springs and no rear height enhancements.

Still maintains a very slight rake as I do haul and tow once in a while.

The ride quality is fantastic, as are the handling characteristics.
Nice looking pickup!

Did you happen to be at a soccer tournament last summer/fall in northern lower michigan? I saw a spitting image of your truck there last year…and i think it had canada plates lol.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nice looking pickup!

Did you happen to be at a soccer tournament last summer/fall in northern lower michigan? I saw a spitting image of your truck there last year…and i think it had canada plates lol.
Thanks, Brother!
I wasn't, but look forward to trekking out that way!

minotto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ive got the 5100 Leveling Bilstein's on the front at 2.1 lift and Just recently ordered the matching rears from @Nick@GotExhaust and I am going to install them with a 1" rear spring spacer. My truck is a 4x4 crew cab so im sure the weight distribution is much different than the single cab. The truck seemed to drive and ride better with the Bilstein's on the front and im looking forward to feeling the change on the rear when I install them this weekend. My fronts had 60k last year when I changed them and now im doing the rears at 78k. For towing I have Timbren rear bump stops I install to haul my camper and it helps alot but the ride is roughhhhh. The helper bags would be a nice option as well. Get ahold of Nick on here when you are ready..... Awesome service, pricing and shipping speed!!!
Hello friend, I want to ask you if with this setting at 2.1" the spring is not too preloaded and the ride is very stiff? i'm on this situation with stock shocks with spacer down on the spring and i want to remove for installing bilstein 5100 all around !

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello friend, I want to ask you if with this setting at 2.1" the spring is not too preloaded and the ride is very stiff? i'm on this situation with stock shocks with spacer down on the spring and i want to remove for installing bilstein 5100 all around !
While I will not speak for Nick, I will speak for myself.

I have had the B8 5100's on for three+ years now driving in all four seasons of weather and road conditions, and set the fronts at 2.1" raised. The handling characteristics and control are excellent. No uneasy feeling on or off road, or doing 160Km/h on the highway. No creaks or moans from the suspension whatsoever.

I run with 17" winter set up and a 20" summer set up with tires making the package a 33" package, and perfect, always with no rubbing at full turn in, and no binding at all.