Need your advice to get and setup the right Ram 3500 for our full-time RV tour life

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yorick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L 6-cylinder Diesel
I would love as much advice and thoughts from you experienced Rammers (forgive me if that is an insulting nickname). I'm planning to purchase a new/used Ram 3500 to pull a fifth wheel which we will take around the country for a few years as we live full-time on the road to experience this beautiful country of ours. Below is the background and our plan. What I'm looking for is advice from you all for me to learn as many tips, tricks, etc. so that our experience is the best I can plan for.

Here's some info about us:
Me, my wife, and two kids. Wife and two kids are emigrating here from the Philippines and have been living in less than 300 sq. ft. poor-condition place. So, they are use to small spaces already. They are also very petite ladies. The 5th wheel will already be a major upgrade for them.

I've lived in a 2,500 sq. ft. house most of my life but grew up in the Philippines and go there often. So, I'm use to doing with less and actually prefer it.

I do my entire business from home (laptop and a second screen is all I need) during normal work hours. The kids would be doing online college for the first couple years. My wife creates crafts to sell online.

I thought that the best way to immerse them into the United States is to actually see the states rather than being stuck in one state (California... yuck!).

We will likely get a small dog to travel with us.

The plan:
Each trip would be one to two months long staying at a few different places for at least two weeks at a time (maybe a KOA). We would then tour the surrounding areas to experience the "local vibes" and scenery. We may return to my sister's property in Idaho from time to time which will have a full hookup for us in a RV driveway build just for us. It will be a few yards away from a second house on her property built for visitors which we could use when it's not occupied. It will have a 1 bedroom and 1 full bath with a full kitchen and likely a washer and dryer as well.

The vehicle:
I'm considering to purchase one of the following:
I plan to pull it with a Dodge Ram 3500 or a 2500.

I would love to hear input, advice, thoughts, anything.... The more I learn, the better equipped I am to make the right choices.

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome - I am full timing and tow my 5th wheel with my 2500 6.4 4.1.
By looking at your choices, I would lean towards the Grand Design, as it is the only one truly meant for full timing. If I had the money and traveled as much as you want too, I would have gotten a 3500 HO Dually, or maybe a 4500 crew cab. Good luck. If you decide to go 2500, do not get the diesel. Your payload would be too low.

Welcome!

healthyrx

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport Night
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I might consider ordering a ram chassis cab for towing full time. You can get up to a 4.89 axle ratio, a 19k GVWR and up to 72 gallons of fuel on board which could make your life a lot easier towing all over the country. The chassis cabs still come with some very nice features in them for close to the same price as an equally spec'd 3500.

Irishthreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
We’re full timing in a 34’ Arctic Wolf 5W, pulled with a ‘21 2500 Hemi with 4.10’s. On the road about 4 months a year, bounce around FL fall and winter. The truck does great and we stay well under all weight issues. I would recommend picking a 5W first then bounce that against a trucks limitations, leaving yourself some padding. Agree with earlier post to avoid a 2500 Cummins. It is indeed a beautiful country, make a wise choice and enjoy!

randyr6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
As someone who had 2 Class "C" Forest Rivers (tree fell on first one), 3 horse living quarters and regular truck camper-I think they are more for NOT ABOVE THE OK MARK. With that said I would get the Grabd Design. I know mine were class C, the workmanship (and I believe the quality of inserts) left a lot to be desired. Welds could have been better, access to water system and filter was a pain, Artic system was not for truly living in 24/7. While it has tank heater and heat under the floor for water lines (heat comes from RV gas heater) toilet line under floor still froze (a real problem when your living in it overnight somewhere. My awing motor went up while camping-we had an emergency RV repair crew come out only to fin he didn.t have the correct motor for Forest River so we had to hand roll and tape our awing to RV so we could go home. We had countless issues with the Cummins generator over heating in the summer, so bad we had to us a fan outside when parked to use generator to keep it cool. I was NOT a Cummins issue it was a design issue via not allowing enough air circulation around it. We had problems with the roof leaking on the passenger side roof all the way in the back. Dealer stated that was because we did not (pay) have the roof recoated after the first year. What happens is over time driving the RV shifts constantly and roof will get weak spots from that, that is the purpose of a reseal. Either be very handy with a lot of common sense or buy a GREAT warranty with road service (they come to you for repairs-I had it but RV Awning motor wasn't available. at least I had it diagnosed.
Another great not to say money is Walmart-when your in their shopping go in the eve, after 5PM and ask the manager if you may park on their lot overnight. Alot of Walmart's allow this as it is good for business and in its own way may deter criminals as they see people on the lot, just be smart and don't open your door to anybody in the middle of the night. You my not have water or sewer connection but your saving RV park monies.

I don't want to burden this site with more writing so just privately email me if interested in more info--Randy

mtwofeathers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 5.9
I'm hoping you decided on a 3500 diesel HO, living full time it an rv presents issues. Full timers tend to have over weight trailers in the first place. It would not take long to over whelm a 2500. Many here said no diesel.again gassers struggle with pulling a trailer full time. They tend to wear faster pulling loads. But the diesel is built to haul heavy loads continously. Many think about weekend trips. Full time is a totally different beast. 1 trip to Quartzsite Az. in the winter, will teach you that. They stay out in desert with more junk than I ever see. Add kids to the picture and it's even more. Fortunately in most states rv haulers don't do scales. If they did, those dumpsters at those stations would be filled.
I know this an old post but if others later search for the issue this will be here to see.
Diesels rule the road pulling RV trailers. 3500 Ram and Ford are the majority being used. it's experience above all else. 26 years of it till I bought a stick and brick house when I got older. averaged 13,000 miles per year after retiring from the army. That's just towing.