Need your help… eTorque?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PolarRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey all, I’m shopping for a new used half ton. Vehicle will see a fair bit of miles (40-65k annually) and likely will be replaced in a year or 2 depending on how many miles get racked on. I already have a LongHorn DRW Cummins, an old ranch F350, plus my wife has a little crossover. I’ve always had a half ton work pickup (usually a barebones rig) that I got new, ran 2-3 years and swapped. This was provided by my employer. I now have the option to get a vehicle allowance and buy what I want and get equity from it. I’m currently looking at a 2019 Ram 1500 Hemi eTorque w/85k. The miles don’t scare me in general as the pickup appears to have been well serviced and based on the options it was likely owned by an older adult and not abused. I know very little about the eTorque system. My research leads me to believe that it will likely provide me very little benefit as I mostly drive highways (95% of the time). It just happens that the pickup that has caught my eye has the eTorque, otherwise I wouldn’t necessarily care about it. I’ve always been apprehensive about buying the first year of a redesigned body and new technology. Since I haven’t heard anyway griping I assume it’s fine? Not like an old 6.0 Powerstroke lol. I’ve had many 4th gen Rams with pretty much every motor excluding EcoDiesel (5.7, 4.7, 3.6, and 6.7 CRD). Please let me know what your experiences of high miles on this!

For what it’s worth, I’m also shopping F150s w/3.5 and 5.0s so any comparison there is appreciated as well. The interior of the Ram is my favorite but the Ford is 2nd. Recently got rid of a 2019 Silverado 1500 w/145k that was plagued with little issues.

Thanks!

Fediej

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Hey all, I’m shopping for a new used half ton. Vehicle will see a fair bit of miles (40-65k annually) and likely will be replaced in a year or 2 depending on how many miles get racked on. I already have a LongHorn DRW Cummins, an old ranch F350, plus my wife has a little crossover. I’ve always had a half ton work pickup (usually a barebones rig) that I got new, ran 2-3 years and swapped. This was provided by my employer. I now have the option to get a vehicle allowance and buy what I want and get equity from it. I’m currently looking at a 2019 Ram 1500 Hemi eTorque w/85k. The miles don’t scare me in general as the pickup appears to have been well serviced and based on the options it was likely owned by an older adult and not abused. I know very little about the eTorque system. My research leads me to believe that it will likely provide me very little benefit as I mostly drive highways (95% of the time). It just happens that the pickup that has caught my eye has the eTorque, otherwise I wouldn’t necessarily care about it. I’ve always been apprehensive about buying the first year of a redesigned body and new technology. Since I haven’t heard anyway griping I assume it’s fine? Not like an old 6.0 Powerstroke lol. I’ve had many 4th gen Rams with pretty much every motor excluding EcoDiesel (5.7, 4.7, 3.6, and 6.7 CRD). Please let me know what your experiences of high miles on this!

For what it’s worth, I’m also shopping F150s w/3.5 and 5.0s so any comparison there is appreciated as well. The interior of the Ram is my favorite but the Ford is 2nd. Recently got rid of a 2019 Silverado 1500 w/145k that was plagued with little issues.

Thanks!
My buddy has a 2021 Hemi etorque bought new last year. Has had no issues. Drives like a regular hemi, don't even notice it's a (mild) hybrid.

OP
OP
P

PolarRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks! Any idea of how many miles he’s put on it? I’m concerned about longevity. That being said, I have family members that have had had several Camry and Avalon Hybrids with a fair bit of miles and not a lick of trouble. But Toyota had been in the hybrid game for a long time.

yakalong

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a 19 with around 100k with e torque. No issues and since you will only be keeping it for a couple years (if I read what you said correctly) then I would not worry about it. The e torque really doesn't help on the highway, but it doesn't hurt either. I would buy another e torque for what it's worth.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
It is past the 8/80K warranty, the battery could be "expensive", IIRC it is over $500. But meh. My Wrangler has eTorque no issues, but only 3k miles :)

Juice17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2019 e tourque 60,000 miles 3.6. other than my transmission and water leaks e tourque works fine

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
In a Ford I’d get the 5.0. They’re well regarded and have less complex ancillary systems to cause issues compared to the Ecoboost.

I had a 4x4 crew that gave a solid 20 mpg highway with no special effort. Better if I drove it right.

RBJRBJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L V8 MDS VVT eTorque Engine
I have a 2021 RAM Longhorn Limited with eTorque with 6,000 miles and no issues whatsoever. For a good RAM engineer’s explanation of eTorque, how it operates and it’s benefits, watch this YouTube video:
https://youtu.be/Nwnw452p2ZA

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So far so good at 50000. I run a combination of highway and town, with maybe 2/3 highway, and have had no issues.

Dirt_Dobber

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L V8 MDS VVT eTorque Engine
I have a 2021 RAM Longhorn Limited with eTorque with 6,000 miles and no issues whatsoever. For a good RAM engineer’s explanation of eTorque, how it operates and it’s benefits, watch this YouTube video:
https://youtu.be/Nwnw452p2ZA
Best review and overall explanation I've ever seen.

ColesRAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
2020 RAM Laramie with 45K+ miles. No issues with etorque. Getting an avg of 20mpg combined city/highway driving.

thopper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport QC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I Have a 2019 RAM Hemi Etorque...fried 12 volt battery at 50K because Power module went south...all repaired at no charge.

DeanLefebvre1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 eTorque
I have had my 21 Ram e-torque for 30 months absolutely no problems. Very good gas mileage with the 3.6 ltr

brian42

Military
Reaction score
My dad has a '20 with eTorque and has not had any issues with it.

As for the '19 the kinks should have been worked out by now.

If you are overly concerned check the build date. Most of the production issues were ironed out around the October 2018 time frame so anything built 11/18 and later should be fine.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My dad has a '20 with eTorque and has not had any issues with it.

As for the '19 the kinks should have been worked out by now.

If you are overly concerned check the build date. Most of the production issues were ironed out around the October 2018 time frame so anything built 11/18 and later should be fine.

It's been well over a year since this thread was made. I think it's fair to assume the OP has already made his decision.