Need Your Voices Gents - Is there enough for a class action?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedRam55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I finally took mine in. The service writer said it was most likely a rodent chewed through a sensor wire or there was a place under the bed where a wire commonly rubs. I asked if he drinks coffee? I bet him a cup that it was the HCU going bad. After the computer checked the truck out he asked what kind of coffee I drank. Anyway, HCU replaced and everything is good for a month now. The mechanic said he thinks there is a defect in a lot of the motor windings and it starts with the intermittent problem, eventually going to the full failure. FCA has a STAR bulletin out on it that says to start with the HCU unit and if that does not work, replace the ABS module, and return it to them for inspection. FCA knows something is wrong, just have not gotten to the admittance point yet. Luckily my extended warranty covered it all.

RedRam55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I drive a 2017 2500 MegaCab w/Cummins as well, and am seeing this fault come and go every time I drive the truck. It also throughs “Service ABS System”s. Mine is also low Milage,@ 28K. Have you learned anything about what’s causing? I think it still warranty item.
Get yours in before the warranty expires. If your dealer is good about things, they should be able to take care of it. I am not sure if the regular warranty is still active on your 2017. Usually 36K miles or 3 years unless it is a powertrain issue. On mine, in the earlier stages, if I pushed the brake hard and quick, the warning would go away for awhile. It took about 6 months to come on and stay on.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I finally took mine in. The service writer said it was most likely a rodent chewed through a sensor wire or there was a place under the bed where a wire commonly rubs. I asked if he drinks coffee? I bet him a cup that it was the HCU going bad. After the computer checked the truck out he asked what kind of coffee I drank. Anyway, HCU replaced and everything is good for a month now. The mechanic said he thinks there is a defect in a lot of the motor windings and it starts with the intermittent problem, eventually going to the full failure. FCA has a STAR bulletin out on it that says to start with the HCU unit and if that does not work, replace the ABS module, and return it to them for inspection. FCA knows something is wrong, just have not gotten to the admittance point yet. Luckily my extended warranty covered it all.
They know they have a problem with a safety item (ABS HCU) and they are "not admitting it"? The NHTSA oversees failures in things such as the now famous airbag issues along with anything else safety related. I seriously doubt they would conspire to conceal it. THAT would be the basis for a HUGE payout! Ford got severely punished in the pocketbook when documents proving that Lee Iacocca purposely squashed the exploding Pinto issue were procured! BTW, I've had personal experience with ABS and VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) saving my carcass several times over the years!

I have more faith in RAM doing the right thing concerning such an important safety item.... Just my view! Peace!