Needing new tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2019 classic is needed new 20” tires and I’m happy to say the the crummy Goodyear crap is finally warn out. Good riddance.

Anyway I want an all terrain tire and I’ve been looking at the B F Goodrich Trail Terrain. It’s apparently pretty new and I’m not able to get many reviews on it.

Is anyone running these tires?? Good or bad??

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
My 2019 classic is needed new 20” tires and I’m happy to say the the crummy Goodyear crap is finally warn out. Good riddance.

Anyway I want an all terrain tire and I’ve been looking at the B F Goodrich Trail Terrain. It’s apparently pretty new and I’m not able to get many reviews on it.

Is anyone running these tires?? Good or bad??
BF Goodrich is not going to make a bad tire. Same goes for Toyo, Falken wild peaks at3W’s have been getting very solid reviews as well

OP
OP
zogg

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Agreed. I’ve had both that you mentioned over the years with no issues.
However, I really prefer the outline white letter tires and there are only a few available. The other option might be pirelli scorpions.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Can’t speak for others, but my Cooper AT3 4S have handled all of our north jersey weather. I did loose 2mpg though.

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
General grabber ATX.
Actually think the General Grabbers have a red lettered tire which looks pretty cool.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Firestone Destination XT
You must be kidding, unless you never use the truck off pavement. My new 2500 came with Firestone Transforce ATs on it. Changed them out in less than 3000 miles for my favourite all round tire Duratracs. The Firestones are completely useless in snow or in mud. Zero pulling power in snow and zero steering in mud. Had to be in low range at 4 mph to crawl up a developed road without hitting the ditch. So much slippage in 4 high the TCS shut itself down and said, service TCS. It came back on after cooling down.

OP - I have no experience with the Tires you are looking at but I do know the BF Goodrich All Terrains have been a great all round tire for many many years. If this is an improved version they should be pretty good.

Last edited:

RJL1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
X2 for Duratracs. I'm on my second, very soon third set on our Jeep JKUR. Have a stock sized set on my 1500. Very good tires.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
You must be kidding, unless you never use the truck off pavement. My new 2500 came with Firestone Destination ATs on it. Changed them out in less than 3000 miles for my favourite all round tire Duratracs. The Firestones are completely useless in snow or in mud. Zero pulling power in snow and zero steering in mud. Had to be in low range at 4 mph to crawl up a developed road without hitting the ditch. So much slippage in 4 high the TCS shut itself down and said, service TCS. It came back on after cooling down.

OP - I have no experience with the Tires you are looking at but I do know the BF Goodrich All Terrains have been a great all round tire for many many years. If this is an improved version they should be pretty good.
The Firestone Destination XT's are different than the AT's. I have the XT's on my 3500 and they're excellent in snow. And they are wearing just fine. Two totally different tires...only time I had to put my truck in 4WD was when the snow was deep on the roads and they hadn't plowed yet. Short of running a dedicated snow tire on these trucks, the XT tires are an excellent choice.

The Trail Terrains are different than the BFG AT's. Different tire too.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
1644180777401.png

XT's are different than the AT's

shrubs

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
We are all about cost. And the tire dealer.

Obviously choosing tires to match use.

Have had many brands and heard many comments as to why a particular tire is the best……….

Nicholas Cove

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You must be kidding, unless you never use the truck off pavement. My new 2500 came with Firestone Destination ATs on it. Changed them out in less than 3000 miles for my favourite all round tire Duratracs. The Firestones are completely useless in snow or in mud. Zero pulling power in snow and zero steering in mud. Had to be in low range at 4 mph to crawl up a developed road without hitting the ditch. So much slippage in 4 high the TCS shut itself down and said, service TCS. It came back on after cooling down.

Big difference between the at and xt. I mount firestone at often at work. They're not nearly as aggressive as the XT. I can pick any tire out there, I mount tires everyday and test drive many many vehicles. These have worked fantastic for me.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Oem tires from the manufacturer always seem to suck. Even the Michelins Toyota uses on the tundra seem to wear much faster than those bought from a tire shop. I've got 2 oem sr-a and 2 that were installed at 20k miles. All 4 tires are the same, except 2 came from the factory and 2 came from the dealer. There is a noticeable difference in wet and snow traction between the 2 sets, with the set from the dealer providing much better traction in all conditions. That said, I've somehow managed to squeak out over 40k miles on the 2 oem tires that are about to get replaced. So, don't base your opinions on tires based on the tires the oem provide.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Big difference between the at and xt. I mount firestone at often at work. They're not nearly as aggressive as the XT. I can pick any tire out there, I mount tires everyday and test drive many many vehicles. These have worked fantastic for me.
Based on the picture of the tread I agree they are very different and quite a bit more aggressive. Still not near as aggressive as a Duratrac but far better than th Firestone AT.

As far as OEM tires being poor cousins to the factory ones sold by dealers that is well known and has been true for decades. OEM tires are built to the lowest price point possible. I never pay for upgraded oem tires but in this case I had to to get 18" rims instead of 20s. Up here off road tires in 20 inch are expensive, hard to come by and tread choice is really limited.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have Toyo AT 3s on my chevy 3500 and my wife's jeeps. This is the second winter with the jeep. The 3500s first winter they preformed pretty well. I typically run Ko2s on my truck but figured I would give a new tire a shot. I just put ko2s on my Ram 3500 as I liked them better. I think all the all terrains with snow flakes on the side preform alike I have found a skinny tires performs better in ice but wider is better in snow.

Dodge trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I work for the state, as a fleet mechanic. Our state contract recently swapped from Firestone to goodyear, have lotsa people driving state owned trucks that are complaining to me that I have to put Goodyears on, they loved the Destination ATs. Might have to look into those XTs for my truck when the time comes.
I can't see just a choice of tire, causing that much difference in MPGs experienced. I have been running Cooper AT3s for the last 5-6 sets. good bang for the buck, want Michelins but cant afford those no more. On my wife's Durango I went with Pirellis this last time, similar tread to BFG all terrains. Wearing good, but I don't think Im gonna get the life out of them I was hoping for, bought those because I got a great deal on them at the time, they were ordered for someone else that never came back for them.
Currently my '12 (2wd) has 3, bridgestone ATs on it and 1, Kelly Edge HT on it. carfax says that Kelly is only about 5k miles old. thinking of replacing the worst of 3 remaining with a matching Kelly Edge to match the other side on front, and when I finish off the other 2 Bridgestones, go with some kind of AT on back.... I hate having 2 different tires across from each other on the front/ but that is how this truck came to me. The bridgestones still have decent tread, (1/2 or a bit better) but they were made in 2014.....
many people have no idea what tire companies own which other tire companies....
I have had kellys before when I had my XJ Cherokees and my 97 Ram 1500 4wd and they were great....wore straight across, quiet, decent traction.... but my exp with them is that youre lucky to get half the miles out of them they are rated for, before they are "shot" and they wear great for about 1/2 of those miles then all of a sudden, they start wearing down "quick". and in case you didn't know, Kelly is owned by Goodyear. as I believe is Continental. And Goodyear recently bought out Cooper. I can see the beginning of the end, of Cooper being a decent tire....Goodyear is aptly named..... my exp with them over the years is you get about "1 good year" out of them, before they are trash. Definitely overpriced, for the tire life recieved.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Crew Cab 4x4 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7 V8
Local RAM dealer mechanic recommended this brand and model for general on and off road use here in southern Colorado mountain towns. They do well on I-25 driving up to Denver metro as well. No detectable loss in MPG either. Best part? About half the price of the big names.

ChiefPepe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Local RAM dealer mechanic recommended this brand and model for general on and off road use here in southern Colorado mountain towns. They do well on I-25 driving up to Denver metro as well. No detectable loss in MPG either. Best part? About half the price of the big names.

Our 2019 Tradesmen came with these Yokohamas from the dealer. Only truck on the lot without Goodyears. Great riding,looking, all terrain and i think they r reasonably priced. Don't know if they come in your size.

Attachments

• DSCF0132.JPG
    DSCF0132.JPG
    177.9 KB · Views: 10

ChiefPepe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wouldn’t knowingly buy Chinese tires
As of 2015, there are a number of vehicle tires made in the United States: B.F Goodrich, Bridgestone/Firestone, Cooper, Goodyear, Dunlop, Kelly-Springfield, Titan Tire and Yokohama Tire.I wouldn't either.