Needs suggestions for bed cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thomas May

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just purchased 2021 Big Horn Lonestar Night Edition with ETorque, Ram Box and multifunction tailgate. Flame Red. Need some suggestions on where to get some sort of tonneau cover (having trouble finding one). Also looking for suggestions on other cool mods.

D8C5822A-7413-4A17-8D6B-CD6438C8A515.jpeg

15872059-C0CA-40C5-B70C-38CE928C7458.jpeg

211A4DE7-2DEE-44F3-806A-0DC282D00B2F.jpeg

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
You may want to look at a company called Bakflip

They make a hard folding cover just for the Rambox trucks

BNeal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There are several, but I went with Bakflip as well. Do a search on this forum. There are many threads covering this topic.

BTW, Nice truck - and welcome to the forum!!

Just_John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi with etorque
I went with the Bakflip as well and am very happy with it.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
What kind of cover are you thinking about? Hard, tri-fold, soft roll-up, rigid roll-up? I have a Truxedo LoPro soft roll up cover and it works great for me. I don't keep anything of any value in the bed, so I'm not worried so much about security. The ramboxes and storage inside the cab have plenty of lockable storage capacity for my needs.

elLOCOrower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I don’t have ram boxes or multifunction tailgate but went with the bakflip. Waiting for the liner to be sprayed to install it but from what I have read on hear it’s a decent cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought my LoMax from Nick@gotexhaust (check out the vendor section here to find him) he hooked me up with a smoking deal, highly recommend the LoMax too.

Nice looking truck by the way! I have never seen a 5th gen in flame red yet.

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lomax, bak flip, undercover all good choices, Lomax won’t break the bank if your looking for a trifold cover.

Personally I have a Lomax and couldn’t be any happier.

OP
OP
T

Thomas May

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What kind of cover are you thinking about? Hard, tri-fold, soft roll-up, rigid roll-up? I have a Truxedo LoPro soft roll up cover and it works great for me. I don't keep anything of any value in the bed, so I'm not worried so much about security. The ramboxes and storage inside the cab have plenty of lockable storage capacity for my needs.

I've had soft roll ups on all of my previous trucks and Lo Pro on my last XLT. I just couldn't believe how expensive the covers are for trucks w/ Ram Box and MFT.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I've had soft roll ups on all of my previous trucks and Lo Pro on my last XLT. I just couldn't believe how expensive the covers are for trucks w/ Ram Box and MFT.
The MFT has virtually no effect on the cover for rambox beds. The issue with them on standard beds is that the extra bracing in the front corners of the bed interfere with the mounting systems of most covers. Since the rambox beds don't have this bracing there's no issue. I have yet to see a cover which works for a rambox bed not work with the MFT, but I suppose there might be one or two out there. As for the extra cost, I didn't notice that when I was shopping for bed covers. The Truxedo cover I bought for my Laramie cost pretty much the same as the Truxedo I bought for my previous truck which didn't have the rambox bed.

VA-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie / 2020 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Truxedo low pro on my 17 Laramie and the wife has a Truxedo Duece on her 20 Laramie...good price, keeps the weather out and looks great...and wont break the bank....

Mike62

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went with the Bakflip MX4 - Hard, folding cover. Love it so far. I have the 8ft bed on my 2500.

20210326-MX4 BAKFLIP cover 1.jpg

Richard Besselman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diamond Back makes a great product that works well with the Ram Box.

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have had a one piece and a trifold.

I much prefer the versatility of a trifold.

Most of the tri folds give you a splash of water in the corners when taking it through the car wash or an exceptionally heavy rain. Not a big deal to me.

Several good brands out there. Backflip, Lomax, UltraFlex to name a few.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

HM_SanDiego

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Hydro/Laser Blue CC Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bottom line - how you will use your truck bed.....?

I had a soft tonneau cover on my truck 25 years ago......if all you want to do is have a basic cover over your bed, with very basic out of the weather considerations, and without concern for sincere security and leaving stuff in the bed, the soft, roll up or fold up, can fit the bill......if this does fit your needs for now, I would not spend more than $200 on one - there are way too many inexpensive and good options in this area........and, not too much above that price point, and you can get into various solid folding tri fold covers, in the $400-$500 range.

My last truck had an Extang Solid Fold hard cover that I found online, delivered, for $450.00. It was a great bed cover, I felt fairly secure to leave semi valuable stuff in the bed overnight, as long as I was in a decent location, but it was “not” super weather proof, as water would find its way into the bed. The cover sat on top of the bed rails, but was completely self contained, which meant that 1 person could remove the cover and put it in the garage or in the back seat of the truck, in under 5 minutes.....

The upgrade to the solid fold type cover is the current style, flush mount solid covers, such as the Bak Flip, and my choice, the Lomax, amongst others. Purchase price ballpark here is $800-$1200ish.

I use my current truck, and specifically the truck bed, more like a large trunk, than a truck bed. Considering this, I put on a solidfiberglass cover, from Ranch, purchased online, and color matched from them, delivered to my door, for just over $1200.00. Install takes 2 people about 10 minutes, but my need was increased security, and ultimately bestweatherproofing for any cargo.

These types of solid fiberglass covers vary widely in cost from about $800 for a basic black universal type, to $2000+ for a color matched high end model.

So, my advice = you first have to sit down and figure out your budget - there is no sense in getting all excited about something that isn’t within your budget right now, and, with that thought, if you are on the fence now with money, it is better off to wait, in my opinion, and save $$$, and get what you want and that fits your needs, when you can afford it.

Buying a cheap/inexpensive soft cover now, when you really want/need a more secure cover in reality, is like throwing away a few hundred $$$$ - in my opinion....

There are lots of options in every category - you first have to figure out what category, or your budget, and then where your needs/wants fit in, and then narrow the field of options down to what fits in your budget with your wants/needs.

Good luck - happy shopping.

xtremeroller

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 & 2008
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I have the Pace Edwards Switchblade on my 17 Ram. No complaints here at all with it. It started out on my 2014 and migrated over to my 2017 when I traded it in.

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As some others have said you need to understand you bed use, weather for your region or where you may end up, security and cost.
- Security goes from fiberglass as the most secure to soft being the least..... But out of site is 90% of what keep things secure.
- Cost also follows along with security Fiberglass most expensive to soft being least costly.
- Bed access is the reverse soft roll ups provide best bed access with little work, fiberglass require unbolting and usually 2 or more to remove.

However there are brands such as UnderCover X which are design for quick easy removal for a hard cover, but you'd need to know that before you leave the house as you really can't remove it and stand it up in the bed. My dad hand one of these and for a hard cover I think it is the best for ease of removal, etc. with respect to hard cover.

Soft rollups are problematic in colder climates as even the best systems can have issues being rolled out once rolled up in really cold weather as the have to stretch. Plus depending on the system you have a back cross bar that has to be removed and rolled in the cover or stored somehow when cover is rolled up.

I currently have a soft trifold for the past 2 years, after coming from a truck with a hard fiberglass and one prior to that with a soft rollup. It was cost effective, and with mine (Gator brand - i.e. Extang sub-brand) I was able to swap out the "wing bolts" in the front for the quick release clamps in the rear. Therefore I can have mine of in 30 seconds and set it in the bed to bring home that larger super buy the wife found and could not leave.

I can also confirm that the the gator is capable of handling nearly 2ft of snow on it as mine did back in Dec with the storm that hit the Northeast.

It only cost me $220 2 years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963