Negotiating and buying via email

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dgriffi2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hi,
I’m “kicking the tires” so to speak on trading in my ‘11 Ram Sport for a 2020 Big Horn with either North or Sport appearance package. But I have a medical situation that prevents me from driving around to dealerships.

I’m wondering how common it is to buy a vehicle primarily by email and phone? The problem I’m running into is dealerships aren’t specifying what package the truck has (they just call them Big Horn) with stock photos, and email to dealership results in “when can you come in for a test drive?” They really want you there, I imagine it’s a sales tactic.

So please share your stories of purchasing your Ram over the Internet, and any tips you might have. Thanks!

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
I've never bought a truck on line, although some companies seem to be moving in that direction. That said, try building the truck you want on the Ram website, save the build and send it to your local dealers telling them to go find that truck for you. Conversely, you could order one to your spec through a dealer. Good luck!

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I'd start the process by email, then deal directly with the sales manager by phone if you can and have him send you pics, screen shots, etc.

I've done the process almost entirely online, including the trade-in, but it was years ago and with a Nissan product. I don't have a lot of faith in FCA dealers.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
Hi,
I’m “kicking the tires” so to speak on trading in my ‘11 Ram Sport for a 2020 Big Horn with either North or Sport appearance package. But I have a medical situation that prevents me from driving around to dealerships.

I’m wondering how common it is to buy a vehicle primarily by email and phone? The problem I’m running into is dealerships aren’t specifying what package the truck has (they just call them Big Horn) with stock photos, and email to dealership results in “when can you come in for a test drive?” They really want you there, I imagine it’s a sales tactic.

So please share your stories of purchasing your Ram over the Internet, and any tips you might have. Thanks!
I bought my 2019 1500 Lone Star via email, text and phone communications. Other than photos, I did not see nor did I drive the truck before I arrived to take delivery. DO NOT proceed unless you have a copy of the window sticker. This will have the truck’s VIN as well as a detailed description of the standard and add on packages and options. If the sticker is not available through the dealer’s website or they won’t provide it, move on to a different dealer.

The negotiations were a bit tedious but that could be because it was the first time for both myself and the sales rep, a very nice lady named Julianne, to work through a sale in this manner. We were kind of stumbling our way through and she of course had to work through her sales manager too. I started with an email inquiry about the truck, she replied and it went from there. Like I said, email, text and phone conversation. Keep all emails and texts for reference.

Take your time, be very clear with your communications. Keep your emails and texts short and to the point. The more you write the more chance there is of a misunderstanding. I strongly suggest you visit over the phone. Not to negotiate, but to get acquainted. Digital communications does not allow you to really get to know someone. If the sales rep you make first contact with doesn’t seem to want to help, move on, there are too many dealers and sales reps to put up with someone who won’t work with you on your terms. And yes, I would do it again.

I did not trade anything in so I cannot speak on how to handle that aspect of the deal. Good luck!

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
Most dealerships have a window sticker link for each truck on their website.... at least the ones around me do.
You are correct. I looked at countless dealer sites and only found a couple I couldn’t see the window stickers on.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
You can search inventory directly from the Ram website, and filter by some packages. Then you can view the window sticker for full particulars.

I’ve bought vehicles unseen when no trade is involved. I either email or phone first to ask for confirmation the vehicle is still in stock. I feel it’s best to convey my purchase offer via phone after the initial contact and once the salesperson and I have established our bona fides. Not many people will want to deal by emailing only, that smells of scammers.

When a trade is involved, you’re not going to get a good deal sight unseen. Although in some cases I’ve negotiated and agreed on pricing contingent on an inspection of the trade.

Best of luck in your shopping.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought my RCSB from just a couple of pictures and the window sticker. No one local had any except for your standard work truck white ones. My dealer got it mine from another dealer a state over and brought it to me. They even matched the great sale price the original dealer had it marked down to on the internet.

tourrider

Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
This last one I did completely by email, including the value of my trade. However, I had purchased my last 4 vehicles from my salesman and same dealer.

I wasnt liking any 3500s in inventory when suddenly my truck showed up at a dealer 75 miles away. I emailed my guy and said if you can get this truck for my (lowball)price, I'll buy it from you. We went back and forth, but I had waited until the last week in September, and that's when they want to move units. I'd take a long time to reply to his counters, and on the next to last day of the month he emailed me and said if I get it for your price, can come tomorrow to close the deal? Done!

The thing is, the original dealer listed it on line with a huge list of discounts. They forgot to include the little footnote about one may not qualify for all discounts. My guy tried to tell me I didn't qualify, but I stood firm. After 4 days, I believe my dealer hardly made money, but I was a loyal customer, or they mumbled something to that affect.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought my first 2011 Ram over the internet/email and phone. I found one I wanted, got the price down to what I wanted, got prequalified for finance over the internet. Set up a time to close the deal, went to the dealership, they had it out front washed up ready to go, took it for a test drive, came back and signed the papers and left. I wasn’t there an hour, easiest truck I ever bought.

call and ask for the internet sales manager and explain your circumstances

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I did all my dealings via email only between 4 local Dodge dealers. I built the truck that I wanted online with the Dodge build page and then emailed all 4 dealers the page asking them to price up this truck up. I did not and would not give them my phone number. All but one were willing to work with me. I told that one thanks and stopped dealing with them. I got my numbers worked out to where I wanted them then set up an appointment to order my truck at the agreed upon price with the dealer. Now I am just waiting on delivery. Should be sometime this week. I always order my trucks because what I want on them is not typically available on the lot. Good luck.

Red

BugGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Depending on where you are, it's probably not uncommon for people to do most (if not all) of their dealing via mail/text/phone. Some dealers will even deliver to you in this day and age.

First, you can search through new car inventory on cars.com. This was helpful to me as I was looking for a particular color and package combo.

Secondly, you can use TrueCar.com to get a good starting point for your negotiations. You still have to be cautious as they will use rebates to offer a low price.

Use wholesale clubs like Costco and BJs to get a bottom line offer from dealers.

Also, you can look up stickers on https://researchmaniacs.com/VIN-Number-Lookup/WindowSticker/Dodge.html to see exactly what packages are included on the vehicle you're looking at.

Finally, to eliminate the whole rebate confusion, I said I want it on the road for X amount. At that point, the onus was on them to get there. I didn't care how they did it. If they came in over the agreed on amount, it would have been a deal breaker.

muzupan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram1500 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On my last truck I purchased, I purchased from a local dealer. But, I did not go in to the dealership until I signed the papers. My negotiating for a new truck, which the dealer had to drive nine hours to get it, and also on the trade-in was done via email and text. Of course, the trade-in was contingent on them seeing my truck. I already knew what my truck was worth and I knew how much I would be willing to pay for the new truck.

Flatblack79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought my truck over the phone. Got the Sales manager on the line, talked through pricing. Called my finance company, picked up the check and went and picked up the truck. Whole process took 4 hrs.

You have to do the leg work. Find the truck you want, most dealers list the window sticker online.

Call up the dealer ask for sales manager. Give the lot # for the vehicle and start the negotiations.

Judy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I find I always get the best deal in person. I always handle the negotiation side of things.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I did a my trade-in on vroom.com back in 2018 completely online. They will buy your vehicle even if you don't buy one from them. They gave me way more than the dealer offered and sent a flat bed to my house to pick it up.

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought both of my Kias online. First one, for my wife, I emailed about a dozen dealerships within 2 hours driving distance from me and told them what I was looking for and what I was willing to pay. A dealership about 1.5 hours from me emailed me back (almost all of them emailed me back) and agreed to the price. I told them to fax or email me the sale sheet with a signature on it and once I had that I'd be on my way to pick it up, for cash. Got my sheet, drove down, gave it a quick look over and test drive, drove it home.

Did the same with my Kia (commuter). Worked just as well.

I bought the Ram in person but I was either going to buy local or build my own. With the Kias I didn't care that much about specific stuff; they are commuters to be killed. With the Ram I wanted it like I wanted it since it may be my last truck.

What I found worked well with the Kias was to only be specific on the really important stuff - transmission, mandatory options (Cruise, etc). I ignored colors except to tell them what colors were unacceptable, like pink or alien green. If you are specific down to everything the dealers will either ignore you or give you a crappy price because they have exactly what you want.

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did this with Kernersville Dodge. They are only 100 miles from me. After getting the final price, I showed up with a check from my Credit Union and was in and out in less than an hour (mostly because they were trying to change the trade in value). If you are not trading in, works great. Plus they will ship to you (within a distance). Or they will reimburse you for a plane ticket and you drive home (I believe). Huge selection, by the way.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Great thread. This subject is in fact the future of vehicles purchasing. I have been buying Dodge/Ram trucks since 1986. I have purchased the last 5 on line. The above site references are excellent sources to help the customer make an informed and confident decision. Any dealer that does not have an internet manager or dept is being left behind and will soon run out of customers. Our local Ford dealer has 10 people in their Internet sales Dept. Every year they sell more cars on the net than they do to walk in test drive folks.
I use the Ram build and price site to first spec out what I want. I tell the dealer I want to place a build order, but I am willing to look at a dealer trade or inventory truck if it meets the specs and the price is right for both of us. I tell the dealer on delivery day, if you Hollywood two step me, I will walk. No "turn over' closing ********. Have the paper work ready and I will have the money ready. I am in and out in an average of 30 minutes. I do have a talk with the finance person so that we both understand what is expected. Fact is most smart dealers appreciate customers like us. We are cost effective.

nohitter1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My recent purchase was over text and email. I found the truck I wanted, fou d a few.good.prices online e and one dealer seemed more willing than others to play ball and deal. I sent him some of the lower prices I fou d and he asked what I would pay to buy theirs. Listed was 38600. I told him I'd go 37500 to go with him. He said they couldnt do it at first. A couple days later I sent him another I found at 38200. I then got a reply that he could so 37243!!! I called and said I'd be down next day. Before I showed up, I saw on their site they give. $500 first responder discounts. I asked for that and after a second of hesitation, he said good to go. So I got my 2020 Ram 150p crew night edition 5.7 for 28% off MSRP at 36743. I was happy with how that all went down and went in and signed the next day. It did take 2 hrs in shop to finish, but i got their 1st thi g and they didnt have the truck gassed detailed.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk