Never again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rumurphy15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
My frustration has gone to full blown anger. Ordered 21 3500 regular DSL Laramie Mega Cab dually on Dec 28 2020. 16 weeks ago finally got another update today supposed to arrive a dealer between 4-27 to 5-11 but that could change. There are people on this site who have ordered (well after me)and received their trucks with more options than mine. I cannot believe this takes this long if I did not have a deposit down and a topper already sitting at local shop (for 6 weeks) waiting to be installed I would tell Ram to shove the truck up where the sun does not shine. I will never order another vehicle again and when the dealer tries to increase the price because of miles put on my trade in that will not go well either. For over 4 months I have tried not to go any far distances to keep miles off of truck and always worry that some idiot will ding my present truck and be stuck with dealing with any kind of repairs before trade in. I hope others on this site have better luck than me.
I call customer care and got more info from them than the dealership.

SOL-man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I ordered a vehicle for the first time and had a great experience. I found my last vehicle, a Jeep Grand Cherokee, by doing the build and price and then found one about 25 miles away. That was easy, but for the new Rebel I just ordered, I couldn't find one with all the stuff I wanted and could only get 12 out of 17 items matched nearby. I found a local dealer with a great salesman who appreciates the military and law enforcement and he was very forthcoming with information and easy to work with. Right now (April 2021), the dealers are having a tough time getting their own orders filled due to the chip shortage. Certain options like the safety technology is simply not available right now and any vehicles ordered with it are not being built. I did not order any of that. He said that customer orders take priority over dealer orders so he was GLAD to order one for me, at invoice price. Contrary to beliefs, they don't get any more money for selling trucks off the lot compared to customer ordered cars. On the contrary, my salesman prefers orders over lot sales - he spends less time ordering one than walking around the lot with customers and test drives, sometimes with no sale. He is also giving me a great price on my trade in because he said that the lack of new vehicles is driving the price of used vehicles up. I ordered on March 15th and it is due to be shipped this week. I did not put down a deposit and I am not obligated to buy it, so I do not see the downside of ordering one other than the wait, and I am getting exactly what I want. For the OP and others, I'm sorry you had such a bad experience and wish you luck.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm continually amazed at how many people are clueless as to the logistical nightmare our country and indeed the world is in the midst of. Do people not watch the news or read the paper? I realize the political stuff is mainly BS but the stories about ridiculous levels of demand coupled with labor, raw material and transportation shortages are indeed real.

If you need something right now or in the foreseeable future, especially durable goods, you'd better take what you can get when you can get it and be happy you've got anything at all.

I work scheduling furniture deliveries and product is running anywhere from two weeks to six weeks behind AFTER it gets into our hands, depending on if it is coming from the east coast or the west coast. Manufacturers are still fulfilling orders that were placed at the end of LAST YEAR.

Perhaps you will recall last year when we were all told about the "new normal"... well, this is it.

Regcabguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 I-6
Things have sure changed. In Oct '06 I ordered my 2007 Ram 5.9 regcab. 31 days later it was on the train from Saltillo and in Dave Smith's yard a week later.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Covid shut down all the car manufactures, the assembly plants had to make each station sanitary.
While that was going on, the American vehicle manufactures made a mistake of not ordering the semiconductors needed to build each of the high tech components.
When they realized that customers were still buying vehicles, even though they were quarantined, it was already too late to place new semiconductor orders.
Then one of the semiconductor plants burned down.

Ram still seems to be building the 5th Gen Rams that are coming out of Sterling Heights Michigan, but some of the fancy electronics are missing from those Rams.

Unfortunately, the Warren Michigan & Saltillo Plant in Saltillo Mexico are almost at a halt, they build the new 4th Gen Body Styles.
Their storage lots are completely full of built Rams, but they are waiting on electronic parts & then they can release those Rams.

They will have a new issue when those stored Rams are ready to ship, there will not be enough Railroad Autocars & Locomotives to transport all of those vehicles, don't forget, it is not just Rams that will need transporting, it will be Ford, Chevy, Toyota, etc. & all the regular freight & vehicles coming in from overseas.

So blame Covid & the auto makers that did not have the foresight to keep the microprocessor orders flowing

The microprocessors that are used in vehicles are pretty basic units
The microprocessors that are use in households, computers, tvs, some appliances are way more sophisticated & the chip manufactures pretty much stopped producing the basic chips & concentrated on the more advanced chips, where the better money was

Last edited:

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The only reason people order a truck is because they get their name on the window sticker. You used to do better ordering one but now there is no discounts for ordering. I own a computer company and our motto is " Love, touch, feel, play and take it home." I ordered a 2016 Limited and it came in with issues. Not again. I want to do my motto before I buy one. With the computer age, put in your options and the sucky Ram website will tell you what is out there. Along with all the garbage.

I must have missed that one, I ordered a truck and didn’t even know my name would be on the window sticker until after the fact.

I ordered (first time ever even buying new) due to all of the present factors that made the used market go so crazy, and because I got nearly as good of a deal ordering as I could getting something off the lot (slim pickins) that I would have sacrificed something’s I really wanted option wise. Made no sense at all to do anything but order.

OP
OP
D

DJ52

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
17 weeks today still no truck supposedly was put on train 2 weeks ago maybe the locomotive needs a chip. Not convinced the info they are feeding us is accurate.

Perferd

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It really does suck.

I ordered my truck in Jan and there is no end in sight. I have friends that work at the plant some friends that run divisions in the plant and friends that own dealerships. None of them have answers and they can't even give projected dates.

I am currently looking to buy a new truck but there are really no good ones to choose from. As for used HOLY F@@K dealers are price gouging the crap out of customs. Hell dealers are even calling customers to buy their truck back for more then they paid for them it is absolutely unreal.

All I want is my truck and I cannot get it and they have no idea when I will.

I will probably have to pay 5-10k more then normal on a used truck with more kms then I want less options then I want in a color I don't want in a configuration I don't want lol...

Anyone have a truck to sell? I got 50k just sitting around ready to be spent lol

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
LOL .... that people don't realize that pre-orders are a scam is amazing .....

All these companies that ask for money up front on pre-orders and then say everything is on back order is how they make money without actually delivering goods ...

When I worked for Progressive Wheels/Niche Wheels, MHT all in one, as a sales rep I was always told to take as many pre-orders as possible to get as much money from these customers as possible up front ...

There was never any valid reason to put anything on back order besides sitting or using that money from pre-orders to invest in stocks rather than spend it on "parts and material" ... they had their own foundry with every wheels mold on site, never ran out of nickle or copper for chrome .... Everything was always in stock and unless they payed more than wholesale we would tell them they needed a deposit and wait was 10-12 weeks out lol ...

If you guys really believe that there is a shortage of supplies then damn lol ... Think about this ... in 2020 563,676 Ram trucks were sold .. if only 100,000 of those were ordered at a $1000 deposit how much is that ? ... yeeep ............$100,000,000 ....

Even if only 50,000 were ordered at a $1000 deposit that is still $50,000,000 ....

Wake up people, they are taking your money and just living it up lol ....

Perferd

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Ordering the truck you want cost money? Mine didn't cost a penny. As for ordering vs buying from the lot I didn't have a choice as there wasn't a single truck in the configuration I wanted in my entire Province lol.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Ordering the truck you want cost money? Mine didn't cost a penny. As for ordering vs buying from the lot I didn't have a choice as there wasn't a single truck in the configuration I wanted in my entire Province lol.

Yes, some places require a deposit that is not refundable ...

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
I'm continually amazed at how many people are clueless as to the logistical nightmare our country and indeed the world is in the midst of. Do people not watch the news or read the paper? I realize the political stuff is mainly BS but the stories about ridiculous levels of demand coupled with labor, raw material and transportation shortages are indeed real.

If you need something right now or in the foreseeable future, especially durable goods, you'd better take what you can get when you can get it and be happy you've got anything at all.

I work scheduling furniture deliveries and product is running anywhere from two weeks to six weeks behind AFTER it gets into our hands, depending on if it is coming from the east coast or the west coast. Manufacturers are still fulfilling orders that were placed at the end of LAST YEAR.

Perhaps you will recall last year when we were all told about the "new normal"... well, this is it.

Most Americans have never experienced empty shelves. Much less the inability to order something "from the internet" and not have it delivered in under 10 days. The JIT supply system is now broken and showing the known issues. That is causing disruption across the spectrum of manufacturing.

It is hilarious watching the spoiled Americans whining about they cannot obtain what their little hearts desire. Can you get a truck, yes. Will it have all the bells and whistles some demand, nope. So you and you bank cannot "purchase" your fancy toy and you throw a hissy fit. **I enjoy it and laugh at you**

This is occurring in most manufacturing lines. Furniture, vehicles, appliances, clothing, RVs, boats, housing. I had to wait 5 months for my fridge because I didn't want a $4000 fridge that reads barcodes.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Most Americans have never experienced empty shelves. Much less the inability to order something "from the internet" and not have it delivered in under 10 days. The JIT supply system is now broken and showing the known issues. That is causing disruption across the spectrum of manufacturing.

It is hilarious watching the spoiled Americans whining about they cannot obtain what their little hearts desire. Can you get a truck, yes. Will it have all the bells and whistles some demand, nope. So you and you bank cannot "purchase" your fancy toy and you throw a hissy fit. **I enjoy it and laugh at you**

This is occurring in most manufacturing lines. Furniture, vehicles, appliances, clothing, RVs, boats, housing. I had to wait 5 months for my fridge because I didn't want a $4000 fridge that reads barcodes.
what is even more hilarious or sad depending on how you look at it is what people are selling and paying for ratted out RV's. An camper that 2 years ago you could not give away is now selling for top dollar.

magic280z

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You should try getting a tractor. No new ones on the lot, they don't know when they will get inventory and used ones are more overpriced than used cars.

It is going to be years before we get back to normal.

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 - Crew Cab/5.7 Bed - 5.7 Hemi - 3.92 - Anti Spin - Level 1 Options - RamBox - BUG

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Takes patience’s to get what you want. I understand the frustration with having to wait but your also ordering a truck to be built. Stop looking at everyone’s else’s arrival date. Covid has a lot of things backed up. If your ordering dealer took more then a refundable $500 deposit then you would of been better off shopping around plus I hope you gotten a deal on that new truck and was able to lock in incentives unless better at time of delivery and yes it’s very much possible even if the dealer bs about being able to do it. You have to shop around for below invoice pricing. Getting dinged for miles is complete bs too your dealer should work with you on that as long as the mileage so within reason. I’m not saying go on road trips and tack on an extra 10k....

Calm down, have a coffee or beer this isn’t something to stress over....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro