New ‘18 Ram 3500 Cummins Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steelhead1953

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Recently purchased a 2018 Ram 3500 Laramie CC SRW Cummins Turbo with Aisin tranny. Love the truck but trying to understand the Turbo cool down guidelines. Sorry if this question has been asked before but here goes. If I follow the diesel supplement chart, I should idle anywhere from 1 to 5 minutes depending on Turbo temp (cool, warm, hot?) before shut down. Do the recommended idle times apply when stopping to fuel up, etc. I will be towing a 5’er. Any suggestions or advise are much appreciated.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The best way to determine cool down idling with any diesel is watching the pre and post turbo temps. This is easily done now that you can use an Bluetooth ODB reader and something like Torque App to read the EGTB1S1(pre) and EGTB1S2(post) temperatures, once your at/under 400°F it should be good to turn off.
If you towing anything and need to make a quick put stop, just leave the truck idle.

Without watching the EGTs, if you let the truck idle till the coolant and oil drop below the normal temps for a minute, your probably in the ballpark.
Other uses of the Torque App, you can watch the EGTB1S3 (DPF) temp to determine if the truck is in regen (anything over 1000°F, actual boost pressure, and various other parameters.

OP
OP
S

Steelhead1953

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the info. I will check the app out. Since I live in Nor Cal and do a fair amount of mountain driving I like the idea being able to monitor EGT’s.

upflying

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I recall reading that the dealer can program the ECM for an idle cool down from 1 to 5 min. I wonder if that means you can walk away from an idling truck and not worry about theft and locking the doors.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I've found by the time I deaccelerate off of a freeway and onto the surface streets, pull in to a fueling station and maneuver around to position for a refuel, several minutes have passed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963