New ‘20 power wagon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The_reaper_33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
New member to the site traded in my ‘15 ram 1500 for a ‘20 power wagon. Why a power wagon? Diff lockers and a winch we do a lot of hunting and we also live in the bush lots of dirt rough roads with plenty of lakes but access to them is pretty rough and growing in. plus the 1500 was getting costly in parts she was getting old and tired. I got stuck in the bush last winter with my open diff 1500 that’s when I started considering the power wagon and this hunting season I got stuck in 4wd low towing my trailer out of the bush that was the final straw
So What are the dues and don’ts to power wagons? Reason I ask is I levelled my 1500 with bilsteins 5100 maxed out fit in 35’s that was hard on ball joints and wheel bearings and wore out the output shaft splines on the front diff I had to buy a aftermarket rebuild kit for that shaft/diff that dodge doesn’t sell their fix is to replace the front diff. I found the 1500 to be built very dinky for off-roading and modifications just to add I added a limited slip in the rear end afterwards and re-geared to 3.92 to help it. Anyways sorry to be all over the map I’m typing from my phone But back to the original question any do’s and don’ts for these power wagons I’m new to all the info and with my experience with the 1500 if I have known I wouldn’t of levelled it with 35’s

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Welcome from a fellow PW owner.

You dont need anything to fit 35s on this truck.

I chose to get some AEV salta wheels just to change up the look. But my suspension is completely stock. And I have no rubbing anywhere. Even at full lock6b13c7a1c827cdb5a3056d374ca8a69e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Welcome to RamForum, nice truck.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
New member to the site traded in my ‘15 ram 1500 for a ‘20 power wagon. Why a power wagon? Diff lockers and a winch we do a lot of hunting and we also live in the bush lots of dirt rough roads with plenty of lakes but access to them is pretty rough and growing in. plus the 1500 was getting costly in parts she was getting old and tired. I got stuck in the bush last winter with my open diff 1500 that’s when I started considering the power wagon and this hunting season I got stuck in 4wd low towing my trailer out of the bush that was the final straw
So What are the dues and don’ts to power wagons? Reason I ask is I levelled my 1500 with bilsteins 5100 maxed out fit in 35’s that was hard on ball joints and wheel bearings and wore out the output shaft splines on the front diff I had to buy a aftermarket rebuild kit for that shaft/diff that dodge doesn’t sell their fix is to replace the front diff. I found the 1500 to be built very dinky for off-roading and modifications just to add I added a limited slip in the rear end afterwards and re-geared to 3.92 to help it. Anyways sorry to be all over the map I’m typing from my phone But back to the original question any do’s and don’ts for these power wagons I’m new to all the info and with my experience with the 1500 if I have known I wouldn’t of levelled it with 35’s
Welcome to the Club!
Before ordering mods I would check back here on the forum to see if it would hold up or not. You can keep stock wheels and go up to 37s still. If you do change your wheels, hang out around a 18+ off set.
The 2020 is level so do don’t need to pick the nose. Spool that rope.
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/vehicle-recovery.139/page-2

Last edited:

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A2529E7C-23C0-437F-835C-D5CB65E12785.jpeg First congrats on the PW.
Second you never need to explain why you bought a Power Wagon, it’s a Power Wagon.
Third love the f#ckin color.
Fourth put some 37’s on it they fit easily depending on Wheel offset, backspacing and width you might need to do some minor inner plastic fender liner trimming up to maybe the pinch weld. Use anywhere from a +18 to +25 offset with about 4.75 backspacing on a 17” wheel and your should be fine. And don’t use any type of wheel spacers to get the fit right. As Trailmaker stated AEV Salta’s fit the bill and are inexpensive.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
sweet truck. imo, the list of must haves is short but you can decide for yourself. a maple offroad skidplate would be well worth it for any type of offroading. if you must have larger tires you could do 35s on the stock wheels. other than that i would leave everything else alone but thats just me. ya theres alot of after market stuff you could jump into but it may open a can of worms you dont want to deal with

B Mitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
6.4L
Welcome from a fellow PW owner.

You dont need anything to fit 35s on this truck.

I chose to get some AEV salta wheels just to change up the look. But my suspension is completely stock. And I have no rubbing anywhere. Even at full lock6b13c7a1c827cdb5a3056d374ca8a69e.jpg

love those silver saltas, on a silver colour. Sharp.

SkeeterBait

Reaction score
The Birthplace Town of the "Jersey Devil"
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Welcome brother trucker..! Absolutely love that paint color. I could not agree more with "Crazy Jerry" in just leaving the truck stock. Although, depending upon your intended use will dictate what type of modifications you choose. Based on your original post on how you used your last truck, you'd probably just leave her "plain Jane" and enjoy the amazing capabilities of this rig.

OP
OP
T

The_reaper_33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks for all the words and insite I’ve been looking at bigger tires 35”I don’t want to go up to 37” although 37” looks way better. I don’t want any hassle with my plan 410 warranty so 35” I’ll stick with.. damn that plan is pricey my power wagon is just darn near fully loaded other than the upgraded rims, trailer camera wiring, trailer tire pressure system. With all the electronics on the truck I hope this warranty eventually pays for itself and then some

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Thanks bud! I really dig the contrast

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good luck with it and give us some more pic’s. So far as leaving it stock that’s always subjective and can be a double edged sword. It performs as well as you’d think it should in stock form, but it performs better with the right upgrades. A Thuren Heavy Duty adjustable track bar for mine up front really improved it’s on road manners. The 37’s were a necessity, I raised it up almost 3” over stock without touching the suspension. They smoothed the ride on road, made the gearing (stock 4:56’s) more forgiving when getting happy with the go pedal and they make the truck look like it should come from the factory.
So far as a few other do dads, pedal commenader, CAI straight piped dual exhaust they all added to a better driving experience. Take your time and if you do mod choose them wisely.

Frigin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I put the 35s on because I took them off my wrangler they only had 1k on them. Pretty happy with the look and I’m hoping they will stuff up in that fender nice Offroading. Don’t think 37s will be for me won’t want to loose any more flex.

Attachments

• AF3F0FAA-96C1-4E61-92D4-79AF9CEB72CF.jpeg
    AF3F0FAA-96C1-4E61-92D4-79AF9CEB72CF.jpeg
    317.7 KB · Views: 10

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45