New 1500 Quad 750 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kltk1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Hey folks, picked up a new, to me, 2016 RAM 1500 quad cab on Thursday 12/1/2016. I thought I'd post up something about my first experience as I'm coming from a 2002 Ford F150 XLT/FX4 with 5.4 V8. It was a very good vehicle and treated me well over 12 years and 160,000 miles.

That said, this review is targeted more at helping those considering the move from another brand to the RAM and how I came to the decision to purchase RAM over another Ford and the experience in general so far with the RAM on my ride home.

I've been keeping an eye on trucks for a while as my Ford was getting old and to the point of putting more money into it on a regular basis than it was worth to keep it. We test drove the RAM and the new aluminum bodied F150's. We drove the RAM first as I was originally interested in purchasing an EcoDiesel. The ride was what impressed us the most with the RAM. Amazingly, while I personally like the looks of the F150 a little more than the RAM, before leaving the parking lot on an F150 test ride, we both knew the Ford wasn't going to be our next truck. It's a great truck, but, the ride is simply too firm. Especially when compared to the RAM. We travel quite a bit with the truck and wanted something supremely comfortable. The RAM simply delivered. That's how we came to the RAM. We don't tow much, if at all, and most of our load will be in the form of street motorcycles in the 600-900lb range.

What we picked up and a review of the following: 2016 RAM 1500 Quad Cab, 3900 miles, Pentastar V6, 4x4, Delmonico Red, 3.55 gear, Anti-Spin Differential, Heated Seats and Wheel Group, Premium cloth Bucket Seats and Black Running boards. MSRP $43,655 + $600 for the running boards. Purchase price $30,000. Approximately 32% off MSRP. We're OK with this deal as the best we could have hoped for on a new truck would have been 25% off MSRP as the rebates available to us are limited. We are not employees, military, Chrysler lessee's, etc.

1) The engine. As noted above, the original plan was to go for an EcoDiesel due to its incredible fuel mileage. However, after putting pen to paper, I realized that the added cost of purchasing the ED, and maintaining it over the course of 100,000 miles, really didn't make sense for us. As I don't tow often and most of our load will be a 900lb motorcycle in the bed, the Pentastar V6 still came in nearly $3000 less to own over the course of 100k. Do the math, $3000 in fuel is a lot of travel.

All that said, from an emotional/visceral perspective, there's no mistaking a V6 with a V8. There is no V8 rumble in this truck. And while we're OK with that, you'll never mistake a V6 for a V8. Ever. The Pentastar actually has a lot more horsepower than my 2002 Ford 5.4 V8, however, it has a lot less torque. And it's noticeable but definitely not a show stopper. I'm very happy with the Pentastar so far. Our drive home from the dealer was 750 miles taking on Interstate Rt. 80 eastbound almost the entire way and, according to the EVIC I average about 20 MPG at an average speed of 70 mph. More on mileage in a minute. At this stage, for my use and the amount of money saved, I'd certainly do it again and confident I made the right decision with the Pentastar.

2) Fuel Mileage: As noted above as per the EVIC I averaged 20 mpg at a 70 mph average speed. Not sure exactly how the EVIC came to that conclusion on average speed. We really didn't stop much and I had the cruise control at 78 MPH the vast majority of the ride. But, as I'm not an expert, I'll defer to the EVIC as being more accurate than I can possibly calculate. For reference, here's how it worked out compared to my F150. The F150, at those same speeds, was getting 15 MPG, at best. While 5 MPG doesn't sound like much, that calculates out to almost 30% better fuel economy. Where I was getting 300-325 miles on average out of a tank (Roughly 22 gallons to the light) on the Ford, I should see over 400, probably more, out of a tank on the RAM.

Also, to keep in mind, I did NOT reset the EVIC info when leaving the dealer. I did it at the first fuel stop about 50 miles west of the Pennsylvania border on I-80. So, the vast majority of the EVIC mileage noted above is across Pennsylvania. For those who know I-80 across PA, it's pretty hilly, unlike Ohio which is pretty flat. I think this is a pretty good gauge of what fuel mileage should look like. Neither flat, or crazy mountainous.

3) The ride: As I stated above, this was the deciding factor for us. This truck is so damn smooth and quiet. It really rides nice on the highway and is incredibly quiet inside. My wife and I both commented on how noisy the Ford was by comparison and we hadn't really noticed it until riding home in the RAM. And for comparison sake, we loved the Ford for it's comfortable ride so take that for what it's worth.

4) Ergonomics: Here's a small ding for the RAM. While it does nothing wrong, the seats on the RAM aren't as nice as the Ford. The F150 seats are more firm and a little more broad across the upper back making them more comfortable than the RAM. It's not something we picked up on during the test ride but made itself apparent on the ride home. I posted this question elsewhere in the forum, where the Ford seats were firm, and supremely comfortable, for 160,000 miles, I question the long term comfort of the RAM seats. On this, only time will tell.

5) Audio: As part of the Big Horn package we got the standard 8.4A RA3 Uconnect, NON-NAV, radio. Before taking delivery of the truck I was kicking around the idea of upgrading to the 8.4NAV radio. In researching this, I decided against it as I really don't want to find myself in the position of having to have to hunt down VIN numbers should there be a firmware update down the road. Standard radio sounds good and we're OK with the sound quality. After all, it's radio and the quality of the audio is only going to be so good. XM obviously sounds better and we're not disappointed. It's when you fire up the MP3 files that this radio simply amazed us. It sounds incredible for a stock audio system and after hearing it have no concerns whatsoever about keeping it stock. I'm actually looking forward to adding the Kicker PRAMCQ13 subwoofer/DSP package to this system as it's my understanding this package enhances the stock audio system even more.

6) Random Thoughts: As a long term owner I'm looking forward to many years of happy ownership with this truck. I'm taking some things learned from 12 years of F150 ownership here in the northeast and will be having a good undercoat put on. The undercarriage on the F150 took on a lot of rust and I'd like to keep this truck a little cleaner underneath. If I could get 15 years out of this truck, instead of 12, I'd be very happy. Not sure how I feel about the transmission dial. It's not a show stopper, but, it's still kinda weird. Love the backup camera and the Parksense features. Haven't filled up the center console yet, and find it hard to imagine I would, but, that thing is YUGE... I really like the clamshell armrest where I can place my Ipod and cell phone.

7) Options/Accessories I'll be adding. Would love to hear input regarding these things as some may be over thought.

A) Tailgate steps
B) Side Steps
C) Mud Flaps/Guards
D) Hood wind deflector
E) Ziebart Rust Protection
F) Truxedo Lo Pro Tonneau Cover
G) Husky Floor Mats
H) BedRug Bed Liner
I) Swingcase

tmletourneau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good run down. One thing that you might want to add that I really like is the Dee Zee Tailgate Assist. Inexpensive and easy to install, well worth it in my opinion.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
x2 on the tail gate ez down.

well worth it and very easy to install

I was going to get a E.D awhile back.

BUT after talking to contractors at supply houses that had them, they stated they wish they had kept the hemi.

So I am still in my 2013 Ram

POst some pics when you can and WELCOME to an AWESOME group here

blrmkrl83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nice write up and congratulations on the new truck(if it's real, hard to tell without a picture). I jumped ship from GM and couldn't be happier. Hope you have the same experience. I'm coming up on 100,000 miles and the seats still feel as good as they did when new(not a small guy either).

OP
OP
K

kltk1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Thanks folks. Pics coming in a little while. Also, thanks for the DeeZee tailgate support. That will probably be the first mod.

Fullmetal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Also if you want to save on paying for rust coating you can buy fluid film. Stuff works great and doesn't drip.

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I love my 3.6/8 speed combo. The shifter will be come second nature to the point that when you drive something else you will reach for the knob even though it won't be there. My wife's Santa Fe has the fan knob in about the same location relative to the wheel and I almost always turn the fan off trying to put it into park.
I have wheel to wheel side steps with mud flaps on my truck and it isn't so easy to keep the front flaps from riding against the front of the steps and making a rattle in the wind. Keep that in mind when shopping for those items.

I wonder what this button does?

Numnutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was a Ford man true and blue since 1989. (new truck every 2-3 years)
In 2009 I bought my first Ram. Since 09 I have owned a 2012 and a 2014 Ram.
I could NEVER see myself going back to Ford. The ride is amazing and the dependability of a Ram is second to none.
All makes have their issues, but Ram has made me a believer.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was also a Ford man from 96- 2015. Our current flex has done me in with Ford. Next year my wife will be in a Durango in 2017. We can't keep paying high bills on every little thing that goes wrong with it.

OP
OP
K

kltk1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Few pics as promised.

31056918400_aa9c8e8ff6_c.jpg

30604906474_83593d225f_c.jpg

30618892663_c2a23e705a_c.jpg

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Very nice. if you are also interested increasing fuel milage look at the diablo tuner's at Moe's performance just food for thought.