New '19 Classic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spydieee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello all! I just bought a 2019 RAM 1500 Classic Tradesman to work out of. I have always enjoyed the Mopar family (just traded in a Durango Citadel) and this is my first RAM truck.

I have a few things that I would like to address to get the most out of my lovely new truck.

First off MPG! :shakehead:
Okay, okay... This is still the first week that this truck has ever had miles put on it but I can barely eek out 14.5 MPG while driving behind a box truck at 65 MPH. My guess is because it's the glorious 5.7 and just not broken in and the other thing would be the 3.92 gearing. I really do not plan to tow so this aggressive gearing was an oversight while purchasing the truck. Anyone Houston-localish wanna trade out your high 2 or low 3 gear!?

Second, Android auto.
I only have the UC 5" which doesn't utilize AA and I hear it's only on the 8.4+ models but I don't want to dump $1200 into a different HU.

Thanks for looking.

Greetings folks!

Bizjettech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Congrats on your purchase....
I too just picked up a new 2019 1500 classic - an Express RCSB 5.7 with 3.92 gears and I'm also getting 14.5 MPG
Did you get the 20 inch wheels?
With the 275/60/20's that came on my Express, I am happy I got the 3.92 gear because that is a 33 inch tall tire and
IMO, the 3.92's are needed in order to have good acceleration with a tire that tall.

Anyway, good luck with your new truck!

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Welcome

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome to the Ramily

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
:welcome: I think I will continue to drive my older truck. I too have the 5.7L Hemi, 88K miles, 3.92 gears and 20" wheels. I turned off the MDS on my truck and I get 17.66 MPG @ 76 MPH cruise set, handheld calculated, on 93 octane fuel. I didn't buy my truck for gas mileage. My best was 22.2 MPG with the same speed and handheld calculator used.

IMG_0811.JPG

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Is your mileage actually calculated or what the truck thinks is happening at the time? I'd say mine has averaged in the 16's for mileage with the 3.92 gear and the stock Goodyear P265/70R17 tires based on small town & highway driving combined. For me, after having a GMC with a 3.42 gear and a Ford with a 3.55 gear, I was determined my next truck would at least have a 3.73 or 3.92 depending on brand. And I don't tow a trailer except for a 12ft utility trailer & utv. I just feel like high geared/low number ratios make an engine work harder. Plus I plan to upgrade & upsize tires eventually.

natethecarlover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
welcome!

OP
OP
Spydieee

Spydieee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the welcomes, everyone!

So far only going on the dash MPG rating. A few times I rode behind a box truck, large trailer and other bigger vehicles to see what the most I could out of it. I am coming from a '14 Durango w/ 5.7 RWD and over 100k. I know it's not a good comparison as this truck is still breaking in and they are a different body shape but I was getting nearly 10 MPG more with the Durango doing the same type of hyper-mile-ing/drafting.
I obviously didn't buy this beast for the MPG but I am one to try and get the most out of what I've got. Right now I have a beautiful, powerful and very thirsty lady. Going to look into tuners with multiple on-the-fly profiles and the obligatory free-breathing filter and exhaust.

OP
OP
Spydieee

Spydieee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update!
Well, after a leisurely round trip to San Antonio today for work, I had more time to stack 200 miles each way and my average mileage crept up to 20 MPG just before reaching my driveway! :D
So now that I know that babying her does yield proper MPG, that's a huge load off my back.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
OT question, how did you like the RT Durango?

OP
OP
Spydieee

Spydieee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Graygoose, my Durango was a 2014 Citadel RWD w/ 5.7 + 8 spd, not RT (I really like the way the RT looks over the lessor models though)
I loved it. It had everything, all the amenities (except android auto or apple carplay or whatever) You could park it anywhere, drove smooth, up to 22 MPG.
The only reason I sold it was 1. I started my own company and was having to work out of it and nothing beats a truck. 2 It was had 117k on the odo and it was starting to make me nervous about relying on it as my personal vehicle AND 90% of my income.
I would definitely buy another Durango (2014 and later only)

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
@Spydieee thank you, beginning to like them more and more, and the Jeep Limited X...