New 2500 - relay recall. what to do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
Is the recall for the grid heater relay? Just disconnect it and live without the grid heater. No worry about the killer grid heater bolt destroying the engine.
We got the recall notice for the heater grid relay last Friday. Me and coworker were discussing today, can you do that with the '22/23s without triggering any CELs or anything? Just disconnect it?

Hydraplane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went to buy a new 2500 diesel, they told me about the recall--didn't know before. Said I can put a deposit and I'll get the truck when it's fixed. Anyone here have an idea of when that could possibly be? One dealer said it will be in a week or so...a different one said could be tomorrow, could be in 4 months. Anyone who is a current owner waiting on the fix have any better info on this? I want to get the truck, but not if it will just sit there another 4 months.
I put a deposit on a new '22 2500 diesel a couple of weeks ago. I was told yesterday the fix should be out on the 20th of this month. I'm ready to get some miles on it so I can try it out on my travel trailer!

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
can not be sold until the recall has been performed. Estimated 3 months to accomplish the recall.

What is everybody thoughts? What would you do?
I would back out of the deal and sit tight until the order bank opens for 2024 models. It is in the wind there will be major changes in 2024 models.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I put a deposit on a new '22 2500 diesel a couple of weeks ago. I was told yesterday the fix should be out on the 20th of this month. I'm ready to get some miles on it so I can try it out on my travel trailer!
The part is already available ( see photo below) you just have to wait your turn to get one

Attachments

• Grid replacement.jpg
    Grid replacement.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 6

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
We got the recall notice for the heater grid relay last Friday. Me and coworker were discussing today, can you do that with the '22/23s without triggering any CELs or anything? Just disconnect it?
where is it connected. I figure I will just unplug it. maybe worry about it in the fall.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
where is it connected. I figure I will just unplug it. maybe worry about it in the fall.
Below is a photo of the grid relay just follow the wire back to the battery and unhook it, the second photo showing location of the grid wire at the battery, do note it depends on what year of truck you have, it will be either the one the yellow arrow points to or the one next to it, also on my 22 if I hit the start button twice it will by pass grid and start right up...

Attachments

• Grid relay.jpeg
    Grid relay.jpeg
    140.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Grid Loc.jpg
    Grid Loc.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 10

Hydraplane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The part is already available ( see photo below) you just have to wait your turn to get one
I just got the call today, parts in and recall C/W! I should pick it up in the A.M. and hopefully change out my profile pic!