New 2500 - relay recall. what to do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sapientiam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
I ordered a ram 2500 limited megacab, back in november, its scheduled to be delivered this week. Last week, i got a message from the dealership saying its affected by the recall, and can not be sold until the recall has been performed. Estimated 3 months to accomplish the recall.

I've honestly thought about just ordering the 'same' truck from a different dealership. It will take about the same time for a new ram vs them fixing the recalled one. I hate spending 100k on a recalled truck.

What is everybody thoughts? What would you do?

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Is the one that is due to be delivered a 22 or 23? Can you get out of it with no financial penalty? Are there things you wish you'd ordered differently?

OP
OP
S

sapientiam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
Its a 2023, I gave 500 dollar deposit. Which I may or may not be able to get back.
I ordered it exactly how I wanted it.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its a 2023, I gave 500 dollar deposit. Which I may or may not be able to get back.
I ordered it exactly how I wanted it.
Tough call.
If you really want the truck and can wait out the 3 months, wait for it.
If you don't want to wait/can't wait,..........get something else. Go with your gut.

Good luck!

RamGuy110

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
well then you better get used to taking an Uber or driving something else as there isn't a truck out there that hasn't had a couple of recalls
If you already own the truck and its drivable, its a lot different than not being able to buy it due to a recall. How many stop sales has Ram had in the last two years for safety recalls? I have not heard of Ford or GM having stop sales on trucks due to safety recalls, but I could be wrong.

OP
OP
S

sapientiam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
It’s the same wait for the recall to be performed vs a new truck build.

There was a stop sale when I placed the order for this truck. I know of at least two.

Damned if I do, damned if I don’t. Is how I feel with this truck currently.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It’s the same wait for the recall to be performed vs a new truck build.

There was a stop sale when I placed the order for this truck. I know of at least two.

Damned if I do, damned if I don’t. Is how I feel with this truck currently.
If you're just going to order the same thing, I'd go with the one you already have coming. The recall may not take as long as they say, it didn't for the tranny dipstick thing. And you may have to pay more for a new one, and maybe lose your deposit.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
If the factory has put a stop sale notice out, the dealers are powerless and cannot deliver it, unfortunately. If it were me, I’d not wait 3 months, either. I’d be irritated and unhappy about the whole situation and that’s not what I’m buying with a new vehicle purchase.

I’ve been burned on ordering vehicles that were late, and the automakers are mistaken if they believe they can convince customers like me to order and wait. Never again.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Arent there actually two recalls out there? Theres the one for the 68RFE trans equipped trucks with the boil over issue. And the now one for the intake heater issue connections.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
3 really, if you count the lack of the sensor for the particulate filter.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If the factory has put a stop sale notice out, the dealers are powerless and cannot deliver it, unfortunately. If it were me, I’d not wait 3 months, either. I’d be irritated and unhappy about the whole situation and that’s not what I’m buying with a new vehicle purchase.
So what would you recommend the OP do?
I’ve been burned on ordering vehicles that were late, and the automakers are mistaken if they believe they can convince customers like me to order and wait. Never again.
Waiting can be frustrating, especially the last couple of years. But when you can knock $14K or more off MSRP, it's a viable argument for patience, IMO.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I ordered a ram 2500 limited megacab, back in november, its scheduled to be delivered this week. Last week, i got a message from the dealership saying its affected by the recall, and can not be sold until the recall has been performed. Estimated 3 months to accomplish the recall.

I've honestly thought about just ordering the 'same' truck from a different dealership. It will take about the same time for a new ram vs them fixing the recalled one. I hate spending 100k on a recalled truck.

The only difference between your ordered truck and ordering a new one is when the recall will be done - the new one will need the same recall but hopefully it will be done during assembly - which may take 3 months.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
So what would you recommend the OP do?

Waiting can be frustrating, especially the last couple of years. But when you can knock $14K or more off MSRP, it's a viable argument for patience, IMO.
I thought my recommendation was clear, don’t buy the truck. The OP hasn’t given any rationale for the purchase, so we don’t know if it’s a want or a need. He asked for opinions and mine is that driving by that dealership for the next three months watching it sit outside with bird crap accumulating will leave a lingering negativity I wouldn’t find enjoyable.

I agree with you insofar as patience is a virtue in making purchases. However I’ll offer an alternative time scale e.g. don’t buy when inventories are short and it’s a seller’s market. Buy when the market forces are favorable. The tide is already turning away from the irrationality of recent years.

Someone may get an excellent deal on his ordered truck in six months after it gets repaired and then sits another three months waiting for a buyer.

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
The way inflation is, ordering a new truck, the price will probably be more expensive. Just happened to me when I ordered a ‘22 1500 last August. When it was built ( 3 1/2 months after original order ) price went up over $1200 MSRP.
OP, if you go and order another truck, ask ahead of time if your deposit is refundable. It was in my case, I put $1k down.
I get what you are thinking, but who knows if the next vehicle will have a “stop sale” when it arrives. Really, this is not the norm. If you have a trade, as time passes, trade value keeps going down, new price is increasing.
Good luck!

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in

Thinking is Skewed and Logic is not following it all the way.

A 3 month wait is a 3 month wait.
Whether it;s for your current truck, sitting on Dealers lot,
waiting for a part, or a newly assembled truck, coming through the line.

Cancelling your deal is going to cost you the Deposit,
if the Dealer wants to keep it, nothing you can do about that.

Going, down the road, ordering the same truck is entirely possible
BUT getting the same price is not. Even you laid down and paid full MSRP!
Quite possible, even likely, MSRP has gone up, since you ordered your truck.

If trade is involved, things get even more complicated.
You might, if you are a terrific negotiator, get an even better price but doubtful.
Dealer has zero incentive to give you one.
Dealers are all about "Right Now' money,
not "Someday" money.

Every salesman is taught, the "I will Be-Back Bus" never comes back.
Biggest discounts are always on what is sitting, on the blacktop,
taking up space and on the dealers floor plan account, sucking up 'Hold Back' profit.

Weakest thinking of your entire idea?
You will probably get the exact same truck.

You cancel your order, so truck sits on the dealers lot, if it's already there, or a Factory lot.

Place anew order, fairly close by, for exact same truck.
Factory gets that newly created order, from new dealership.
Sees there is an unsold truck, exactly like it, nearby.

Factory contacts dealer that has the unsold truck, ships out a new window sticker,
with the new selling dealers information on it. Takes 2 days, tops.

Window sticker is slapped on, truck hauled or driven over to other dealer
and Bob;s Your Uncle! You got a truck.

If you do play this game, change something, anything.

Seen this tried a few times, over the years,
when I was in the business and we always got a huge kick out
of how folks they're doing something
but ain't doing shift but wasting energy & money.

Your time, your energy and your money.

If you want to o something, say bye bye to your deposit,
cancel the order and go buy a chevy or Ford.
Everything else is just mental ... uh, Excercises!

Yeah, excercises.

Definitely not the 'other thing', that teenage boys tend to do & makes you go blind.

Last edited:

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Honestly better off waiting for the truck you ordered. Reach out to Stellantis, or @RamCares on here. Since it's a newly built vehicle they may be able to expedite the replacement relay. Or you can do your own due diligence and try to source a replacement relay for your selling dealer. Find the part # and call every dealer within 500 miles of you. You may just find one you can buy and have sent to your dealer. Lord knows dealer service centers give zero ***** about trying to help their customers.

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
Is the recall for the grid heater relay? Just disconnect it and live without the grid heater. No worry about the killer grid heater bolt destroying the engine.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I thought my recommendation was clear, don’t buy the truck.
It wasn't to me, but thanks for clearing that up.
The OP hasn’t given any rationale for the purchase, so we don’t know if it’s a want or a need.
I don't see how that makes any difference. It's his choice to buy a new truck, and he's not asking about abandoning the quest altogether.
He asked for opinions and mine is that driving by that dealership for the next three months watching it sit outside with bird crap accumulating will leave a lingering negativity I wouldn’t find enjoyable.
Yeah, I think that's where his frustration is.
I agree with you insofar as patience is a virtue in making purchases. However I’ll offer an alternative time scale e.g. don’t buy when inventories are short and it’s a seller’s market. Buy when the market forces are favorable. The tide is already turning away from the irrationality of recent years.
No doubt. But that's not really what he's asking about.
Someone may get an excellent deal on his ordered truck in six months after it gets repaired and then sits another three months waiting for a buyer.
If it's like the tranny vent recall, the new trucks like his will get the recall first. And since there is still a shortage of HD's on lots, I'd bet it will sell fast if he walks away from it.