New 2500 Tradesman with clunk/rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff400650

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
I just read this whole thread, thinking that you might find the solution that fixed my rear clunk. Mine started after a thousand miles or so. I crawled under the rear and the first thing I checked was the sway bar mounts at the bottom of the little vertical rod behind the axle housing. One of them was loose. I could duplicate the clunk by wacking upward on the sway bar. Took a 1/4 turn with a wrench. Problem solved.

Alex Gorbunov

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Has anything come of this as relates to the cab mount resolution? I hear something very similar to what was shown in the video posted. My truck is a 19' 2500 6.7C

Been some months since the creation of this thread but I have not seen anything in the way of resolution or how to approach this issue with my service dept.

Cummins3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There are other threads with same issue. It's the cab mounts. And the new designed cab mounts don't resole it

GulfCoastRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Mine has been in twice for the cab mount rattle with no resolution yet. The second time it was in the dealer appeared to genuinely attempt to get it taken care of but I felt like they kinda gave up after they ordered the most current version of the cab mount and still had the rattle after they were replaced. They had me pick it up and said they would research it more, it has been a couple months now and has gone nowhere.

Mark from RamCares has gotten involved and sent me a message saying that replacement mounts are being sent to my servicing dealer and I should be hearing from them the first part of this next week. I am hopeful that they have come up with a viable fix and it will be resolved soon, I will update on any progress.

Cummins3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Don't get your hopes up mine has 5hr updated cab mounts installed by dealer about month or so ago... Rattle still there.

OP
OP
Tim G 2019

Tim G 2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Mine us still there too. Dealer and FCA engineers sent some "known good" mounts they had tested on a factory new truck. Installed them and it still rattles.

RedneckHippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 Hemi w/ MDS
Some guy on YouTube in Guatemala is going to make replacement cab mounts out of a plastic cutting board that fixes it, just wait.

GulfCoastRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Don't get your hopes up mine has 5hr updated cab mounts installed by dealer about month or so ago... Rattle still there.

I definitely have more doubt than I do hopes, this is my 5th Ram and they have all had a gremlin or two. Most of them were traded in years later with the same gremlins I acquired them with.

JoeSee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Keep in mind that this violent clunking will result in mount failure eventually. What happens then? Does your cab come loose? Whatever pieces are banging together and as often as they do will certainly show severe wear over time. Stay tuned for that happy day.

This and the CP4 High Pressure Fuel Pump time bomb

RandomRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My truck is quiet for the most part, had an occasional clunk on BIG bumps or off road. It was no worse than a Ford F250 I had a couple years ago. My clunk went away when I installed my Thuren 2” coils and shocks. Quite frankly the OE shocks are so soft that paired with stiff springs there really isn’t a whole lot of dampening going on.

RamMike7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That sounds like it's right. My service advisor said the electronic ears were pinpointing the noise to that rear cab mount. I asked if Gen4 mounts could be substituted but no answer. It's maddening and guys are getting little relief. I think your write up is the best one on the forum to identify the problem. I guess we wait and hope they figure it out
I dont think gen 4 mounts will solve the problem. I have a 2018 6.7 crew cab, and have had the same clunking noise you and other's here are describing, i ignored it for the first 2 years, but now its getting worse, so it is going into the dealers in a couple days. I expect to get the "we can find nothing out of the ordinary" B.S., but my truck now has 27,000 on the clock so i need to bight the bullet and start the fight i guess. I just hate to be without my truck.

Whitey426

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Add my 2019 6.4 to the clunk list. It’s definitely the rear cab mounts. Super loud when I have my back window open. I did talk to a local tech at a dealership and he said he never heard of the problem. It’s very embarrassing when you have to explain what the noise is for a truck that has 8,000. It seems to getting worse. Your right, what happens years down the road? You get in a accident and the entire cab rips off.

badmanhank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
About three weeks ago, I traded my 1500 in on a 2019 Ram 2500 Tradesman with the 6.4 Hemi. From the day I took delivery, there was a clunk/rattle sound that was frequent and annoying. Can't really hear it unless the windows are up. Seems to happen on rough patches of road. This is not a small rattle, a squeak, a hum, drone or anything like that. Just a clunky rattle that happens on washboard style streets. It happens when I'm not towing anything and it happens when I'm towing my boat, which is about 4,500 pounds trailer weight.

I've had it back to the dealer twice. First time, the service tech who was going to work on it rode with me and said he heard it. He said it was likely coming from behind the dash. I disagreed, saying I couldn't imagine anything back there heavy enough to make that kind of clunk/rattle. He disassembled the dash and secured some things back there and gave me the truck back. A freeway on-ramp two blocks from the dealership is rough. I immediately heard the rattle when running over the bumps. I called to get it back in, but had to go out two weeks to get another appointment.

I took it in and dropped it off two weeks later and they gave me a rental car to use so they could investigate. They had the truck for four days, each day saying they were troubleshooting it via "process of elimination" and had not identified the problem yet. On the fourth day, the service writer called and said they had opened a Star case on it. He said the engineers had suggested a computer flash or the "noise reduction module" they should try that may correct the problem. Two hours later, they called to say my truck was done.

I went to pick it up and they showed me a TSB for a drone/hum/booming problem in the cab of some 2500's that is supposedly fixed by this computer flash. None of the problems listed was even close to what I have reported. They told me everything under the truck was "perfect" and to drive it and see if the problem is fixed. It does not seem likely to me that a computer flash would fix this.

I asked for the Star case number, but was not provided with that. I asked for the itemized list from their service department on what had been checked, retorqued, etc. but didn't get that either. I took the truck and left - you guessed it - the rattle was there unabated as I hit the freeway ramp two blocks from the dealership. No way they could have test driven it and not heard the rattle after the flash was done.

I drove it over the weekend and think the following things may be true. It seems to occur when the right rear wheel hits the rough spots, but not so much when the front wheels or the left rear (driver side) wheel hits. At times, I operated the truck in Gear Limit mode because this works best driving in town. I didn't seem to hear the rattle as much when in this mode, but still can't be sure about that one. Does this make any sense to anyone?

My truck was built in March, 2019. I started noticing the clunk/rattle right away when I bought it in July. It now has 1200 miles on it and it still rattles. Even my girlfriend can hear it and she knows nothing about cars or trucks. Several of my buddies have admired the truck and then asked what the rattle was when I gave them a ride.

I love everything else about the truck, but this problem is really taking the enjoyment out of buying a new heavy duty towing beast of a truck. Has anyone else heard of this or experienced it? Any advice or suggestions for me going forward? I intend to call the service manager to get the Star case number and the service records I asked for but didn't get.

badmanhank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
About three weeks ago, I traded my 1500 in on a 2019 Ram 2500 Tradesman with the 6.4 Hemi. From the day I took delivery, there was a clunk/rattle sound that was frequent and annoying. Can't really hear it unless the windows are up. Seems to happen on rough patches of road. This is not a small rattle, a squeak, a hum, drone or anything like that. Just a clunky rattle that happens on washboard style streets. It happens when I'm not towing anything and it happens when I'm towing my boat, which is about 4,500 pounds trailer weight.

I've had it back to the dealer twice. First time, the service tech who was going to work on it rode with me and said he heard it. He said it was likely coming from behind the dash. I disagreed, saying I couldn't imagine anything back there heavy enough to make that kind of clunk/rattle. He disassembled the dash and secured some things back there and gave me the truck back. A freeway on-ramp two blocks from the dealership is rough. I immediately heard the rattle when running over the bumps. I called to get it back in, but had to go out two weeks to get another appointment.

I took it in and dropped it off two weeks later and they gave me a rental car to use so they could investigate. They had the truck for four days, each day saying they were troubleshooting it via "process of elimination" and had not identified the problem yet. On the fourth day, the service writer called and said they had opened a Star case on it. He said the engineers had suggested a computer flash or the "noise reduction module" they should try that may correct the problem. Two hours later, they called to say my truck was done.

I went to pick it up and they showed me a TSB for a drone/hum/booming problem in the cab of some 2500's that is supposedly fixed by this computer flash. None of the problems listed was even close to what I have reported. They told me everything under the truck was "perfect" and to drive it and see if the problem is fixed. It does not seem likely to me that a computer flash would fix this.

I asked for the Star case number, but was not provided with that. I asked for the itemized list from their service department on what had been checked, retorqued, etc. but didn't get that either. I took the truck and left - you guessed it - the rattle was there unabated as I hit the freeway ramp two blocks from the dealership. No way they could have test driven it and not heard the rattle after the flash was done.

I drove it over the weekend and think the following things may be true. It seems to occur when the right rear wheel hits the rough spots, but not so much when the front wheels or the left rear (driver side) wheel hits. At times, I operated the truck in Gear Limit mode because this works best driving in town. I didn't seem to hear the rattle as much when in this mode, but still can't be sure about that one. Does this make any sense to anyone?

My truck was built in March, 2019. I started noticing the clunk/rattle right away when I bought it in July. It now has 1200 miles on it and it still rattles. Even my girlfriend can hear it and she knows nothing about cars or trucks. Several of my buddies have admired the truck and then asked what the rattle was when I gave them a ride.

I love everything else about the truck, but this problem is really taking the enjoyment out of buying a new heavy duty towing beast of a truck. Has anyone else heard of this or experienced it? Any advice or suggestions for me going forward? I intend to call the service manager to get the Star case number and the service records I asked for but didn't get.

badmanhank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

B Mitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
6.4L
It sounds like it’s happening directly beneath me when driving. Truck is brand new with 1000 miles.

It doesn’t happen every time I turn/go over a bump/ bumpy turn but it happens consistently say 1/3 times in the scenarios I listed.

What I’ve looked at before taking it to the dealer, the front steering rack bolts all look tight, ball joints look new and unworn. I’m thinking that since this is a chassis cab, maybe the body bolts are loose from factory or the console area is popping when flexing somehow,

I’m including a video.

https://youtube.com/shorts/XSzOHWkTGOA?feature=share

If this has happened to you or you know of this issue I would appreciate the feedback.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
It sounds like it’s happening directly beneath me when driving. Truck is brand new with 1000 miles.

It doesn’t happen every time I turn/go over a bump/ bumpy turn but it happens consistently say 1/3 times in the scenarios I listed.

What I’ve looked at before taking it to the dealer, the front steering rack bolts all look tight, ball joints look new and unworn. I’m thinking that since this is a chassis cab, maybe the body bolts are loose from factory or the console area is popping when flexing somehow,

I’m including a video.

If this has happened to you or you know of this issue I would appreciate the feedback.

Hi @B Mitty, thank you for sharing your experience here! We certainly understand how this noise would be concerning, and we would be happy to address these symptoms further alongside a dealer appointment. Please send us a private message with your VIN so that we may first look into this further for you. Of course, let us know if you have any questions!

Kathryn
Ram Cares

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
2021 3500, 1000 miles, same issue. Noise in the back over certain types of bumps. Tried putting the back seat up/down, clicking the seatbelts in, etc. I'm not really gonna worry about it until it gets so bad I can't stand it.

BigLazer4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins

I’m including a video.

Same noise I have in mine, I thought it was something serious. I checked everything and still can’t figure it out, I heard the new body mounts at the dealer don’t fix it so that’s why I never brought it in.

AWLINK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My 2020 Ram 2500 Tradesman does the same thing. I did a little digging and found out it is caused by the body mounts. I had mine at the dealership 3 times and they found a statement from Chrysler stating they knew about the rattle,but no solution had been found yet. So I live with it.