New 3.0L inline-6 has arrived

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Like i told a friend who had been complaining that there was no place to test out his new engines performance.

Here in Southern California, every highway ramp close to any town, has a metered light. The light controls the amount of vehicles that can merge onto the highway in a few seconds time.
Most on ramps are just about an 1/8th of a mile long.

When that light turns Green, it becomes a drag strip of sorts, just remember, you have to merge into 65 mile an hour traffic.

1686703651978.png

Last edited:

HK1837

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sure, electric motors fill that bill, but use huge amounts of electricity - so much so that train locomotives use a diesel engine to drive a generator to power them. I don't see electric motors as the answer to truck power. And of course, diesels have such convoluted exhaust aftertreatment systems on them now as to be largely untenable anymore to many of us.
That is not because of power usage, it is for fine speed and reversing control. Good old Ward Leonard system.It is also how the big mine trucks have traditionally worked.

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That’s great and its about time. Be nice if they could squeeze 25 mpg out of it without babying the drive.

But….

Never buy the first model year of something new. Let someone else be the guinea pig. You’re rolling the dice on a poker game with marked chips….
Bought the first year jeep 4L six and drove it over 200k with no problems. Go figure!!!

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
Bought the first year jeep 4L six and drove it over 200k with no problems. Go figure!!!
4L wasn't a completely new motor. It was an evolution of the 4.2L. Heck the 4.2L crank can be used in the 4.0L to make a 4.5L stroker.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
That is not because of power usage, it is for fine speed and reversing control. Good old Ward Leonard system.It is also how the big mine trucks have traditionally worked.

Point is those machines need torque at low rpm, and that's what electric motors do.

HK1837

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Point is those machines need torque at low rpm, and that's what electric motors do.

Yep, and do it beautifully! A DC motor is a beautiful piece of technology, and is exactly what you want for traction applications, but they also work just as well for performance applications. Just have to wait for battery technology to catch up. It's been well over 100 years and we aren't there yet.

bluebeast1562

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What about the ability to tow/haul? Not 100% convinced that a 6 cylinder in a full size truck is a good idea.
"They can have my Hemi when they prey it out of my cold, dead truck"

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What about the ability to tow/haul? Not 100% convinced that a 6 cylinder in a full size truck is a good idea.
"They can have my Hemi when they prey it out of my cold, dead truck"
Ford figured it out, so can ram.

Curious why they went 3L? Ford has larger displacement so achieving similar numbers would require higher boost pressure. Anyway hope they hit a home run. Like others have said, I will not be the guinea pig.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd like to see it without the plastic engine cover on to see if all 6 coils and plugs are accessible. May not be the case with that intercooler plumbing reaching over the top of the engine. Not a huge deal as the pentastar needs the intake removed for one bank of coils/plugs.

I'd also like to know how the DI is setup. Dual injection or just DI? Just DI = the need for eventual cleaning of the backs of the intake valves $$$.

Like said, fuel economy is the kicker. I'd bet it doesn't do a drop better than the Pentastar, which at best, is maybe ~12% better fuel economy than the hemi in a Ram 1500 application.
There is a good reason for so little fuel economy between the Hemi and 3.6 Pentastar.... Good old physics! We are getting to the point of the law of diminishing returns. You know, a 6,000 pound behemoth of a truck shaped like a brick honking down the highway at 70-80 MPH is going to require so much heat energy converted to kinetic energy to overcome those pesky weight/ air resistance/ friction restrictions (fixed dynamics) that the only way to garner much more improvement is lower weight, better aerodynamics, and slower road speeds!

Maybe "they" could drag out one of those "hundred MPG carburetors" that frequented urban legend in years gone by! ;)

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Cummins is an 6 cylinder, just saying..
As for the Hurricane engine, if they tune the torque curve low enough and mated to the ZF8 speed towing will be just as effortless as the Hemi.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Grand Wagoneer for 2023 has the Hurricane 3.0 start/stop as the only opted engine in this oversized people cruiser with a torque flight transmission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
The Grand Wagoneer for 2023 has the Hurricane 3.0 start/stop as the only opted engine in this oversized people cruiser with a torque flight transmission.
No option to turn off start/stop?

Jim S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
I was only replying to that poster’s “almost fell asleep getting to 60mph”, and “my mobility scooter can beat it off the line” exaggerated claims.
So, I offered a direct comparison between the hurricane and 5.7 in similar vehicles, although the hurricane was in the heavier Wagoneer L, vs the 5.7 in the lighter and shorter regular Wagoneer.
My scooter CAN beat it off the line. Tried it in my driveway when you called me on it. And I SPECIFICALLY said my 5.7 was in my Ram 1500. Which weighs MORE than the Wagoneer.

Ok. Falling asleep was a little out there, but I have to hang on in my Ram...not enough get up and go in the Wagoneer to make me hang on tight.