New 3500 RAM DRW Mega Cab Owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wifi_guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 I6 Cummins HO Turbo Diesel
I started this thread back when I ordered my 3500. https://www.ramforum.com/threads/long-time-ford-owner-making-the-switch.173029/page-2#post-2485844

Now that I’ve actually received my truck, I figured I’d post my initial impressions and thoughts.

Mirrors. Coming from a Ford to a RAM (or any truck for that matter) it’s hard not to miss my F450 mirrors. It is my personal opinion that Ford’s towing mirrors are the best on the market. Their Layout and functionality is pretty tough to beat. RAM’s ability to control the spotting mirror is however priceless! Love that feature. I’ve been running my mirrors “down” (not in tow mode) and have been getting used to them.

One thing I have noticed, the dual rear wheel wells (hips) seem to be larger than the Fords and even the Chevy’s. This does kind of create a minor blind spot when looking down the passenger mirror. Not a deal breaker, but something to definitely get used to. This is pretty much a non-issue if you are running your mirrors in tow mode or “up”. Just something to note.

Adaptive Headlights. OMFG these are amazing. (I am not talking about Auto High Beam) The lights follow the way you turn the steering wheel is absolutely incredible! Light intensity and visibility I would say are on par if not a little better than my F450’s were.

The interior is absolutely gorgeous. I had read where the U-Connect downside was that it has so many options. While I will agree there is a lot there, once you get used to it, it’s not a big deal. The 12.5 screen is awesome! I do wish that it was more of a matt screen however. The high Gloss can be a little distracting in high light situations when there is glare. The seats, very comfortable. HOWEVER, I feel like I am sitting up really high in them. People have mentioned that the front cab space feels smaller than Ford or Chevy. I think it’s a combination of A) the dash design B) the seat height and C) the fact the steering wheel doesn’t telescope. If you sat 1 - 2 inches lower in the seat (which I have mine all the way down) that would actually give you more room where your knees are. The second thing is if the steering wheel could telescope out, you could position your seat further back. I believe these three reasons give it a more enclosed feel over the Ford and even the Chevy.

Not sure I would do a Mega Cab again, but the storage room behind the occupant seating is really nice. One thing I am a little bummed about is I don’t have that in floor storage that I have seen in the other trucks. I went back and looked at my order and there really was no indication that I wouldn’t be getting this. I guess I assumed that storage was pretty much standard on RAM’s, evidently it isn’t? I am referring to the storage found under the rear passenger floor matt.

So I ordered this truck with the HO Cummins. I will say this thing has an enormous amount of power. You NEVER feel like there isn’t power at the pedal. The truck definitely feels snappier than my PowerStroke did. My PowerStroke had a slight delay before the turbos would kick in. With the Cummins, it feels like it’s always there. I had seen JD Reviews on YouTube, he has mentioned in his 2020 that there is a big delay when stepping on the gas, I do not have that what so ever. So either they fixed it in the 21’s or I am not noticing it for some reason? The AISIN transmission in my opinion shifts very smoothly. At first, there was a weird shifting pattern between 2 and 3rd gear, but after a couple of miles that went away.

All in all, I am loving the truck. Next week I am heading out town with it so I’ll get to see what she does on the freeway for 5 1/2 hours. I’ll keep you posted on how that goes. My new rims aren’t here yet, but once they come in I’ll snap some photo’s of the truck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
wifi_guy

wifi_guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I forgot to mention I do have a screen protector for it I just don’t have it installed yet. I was kind of hoping I didn’t need to use it because I’m fearful it’ll take away from some of the snapiness

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Welcome to the dually club....jealous a bit of the HO Cummins....

I can't say anything bad about the Longhorn I have...I just have to clean up the interior now because my buddy was riding with me today....a bit of slobber in some spots. LOL

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
Love to see some pics!!!

OP
OP
wifi_guy

wifi_guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome to the dually club....jealous a bit of the HO Cummins....

I can't say anything bad about the Longhorn I have...I just have to clean up the interior now because my buddy was riding with me today....a bit of slobber in some spots. LOL

Thanks! Not my first Dually, but easily the best riding one so far.

OP
OP
wifi_guy

wifi_guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Love to see some pics!!!

Here you go!

Question for you guys. So I ordered some Weathertech’s today. I looked at the Husky brand also, but I ended up going with Weathertech. Does no one make a rear floor matt yet for these? Or, did I somehow miss the rear one on Weathertech and Husky?

13160D75-ADAF-42E5-BDFB-68B24C8A6AB6.jpeg

9333F424-3665-49E0-A7F1-652A972FE766.jpeg

C2B6B8C4-D5AF-4E9A-BD90-DCF8F1647C83.jpeg

7F5B436D-3DA1-41A3-A949-E9E1B9443881.jpeg

DJ52

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
congratulations but Im a little bummed out again, I ordered a 21 3500 Dsl (not HO) dually Laramie less options since mine listed for $75 K on Dec 28 and still dont have it supposedly in KZM status . Another guy on this site got a 3500 srw dsl the other day and his was ordered Jan 28 . I am about ready to demand back my downpayment and tell RAm to go pound sand. This will be my third Ram 2nd dually maybe!

DJ52

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
When I called weather tech they told me that rear floor mat will be coming but not being made yet I have one in my 2012 Mega cab.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
Here you go!

Question for you guys. So I ordered some Weathertech’s today. I looked at the Husky brand also, but I ended up going with Weathertech. Does no one make a rear floor matt yet for these? Or, did I somehow miss the rear one on Weathertech and Husky?

View attachment 244872

View attachment 244873

View attachment 244874

View attachment 244875

:favorites37:

That is saaaawwweeeeeetttt!!!!

Yeah, I don't see the option for the 2nd row seating either. Have you called them directly to see what's going on with that?

OP
OP
wifi_guy

wifi_guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
congratulations but Im a little bummed out again, I ordered a 21 3500 Dsl (not HO) dually Laramie less options since mine listed for $75 K on Dec 28 and still dont have it supposedly in KZM status . Another guy on this site got a 3500 srw dsl the other day and his was ordered Jan 28 . I am about ready to demand back my downpayment and tell RAm to go pound sand. This will be my third Ram 2nd dually maybe!

Hmm, that sucks. Sorry to hear that. I know right now everyone is saying there is chip shortage and some have said vehicles are sitting around already built, but waiting for them. Not sure I believe that or not but that is what I have heard.

I ordered mine right around the time you did, so it surprises me you don’t have yours yet. I would say if you can hold off, the wait will be worth it.

I almost pulled out of this one. I found a similar truck about 250 miles away already sitting on a dealer’s lot, but it didn’t have the interior I wanted. I can say I am glad I held off.

Have you tried contacting RAM Cares? They had more up-to date information VS what the dealer had. So if you haven’t done so it might not hurt contacting them. I contacted them 2 times, both through their online chat. Took about 5 minutes or so to get the answers I was looking for on build status.

OP
OP
wifi_guy

wifi_guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I called weather tech they told me that rear floor mat will be coming but not being made yet I have one in my 2012 Mega cab.

Awesome! Thanks for calling. So, does the rear differ that much say from a 20? Or even a 19? Couldn’t I just get the rear in the 2019 version?

OP
OP
wifi_guy

wifi_guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
:favorites37:

That is saaaawwweeeeeetttt!!!!

Yeah, I don't see the option for the 2nd row seating either. Have you called them directly to see what's going on with that?

Sounds like they aren’t available yet for the 2nd row in the 2021’s. So, is the 2nd row really that different? Couldn’t I get a 2020 Weathertech 2nd row?

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
Sounds like they aren’t available yet for the 2nd row in the 2021’s. So, is the 2nd row really that different? Couldn’t I get a 2020 Weathertech 2nd row?

I wouldn't think they would be that much of a difference...

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
Nice truck. What are you gonna tow with it?

OP
OP
wifi_guy

wifi_guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We have a 43 ft 5th wheel camper. I also have a 60ft lift, skid loader and etc that I haul around on a 35ft deckover.

OP
OP
wifi_guy

wifi_guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went ahead and ordered the 2nd row from a 2020 3500 Mega Cab. I’ll report back on the fit. I can’t imagine the rear is that different if at all.

OP
OP
wifi_guy

wifi_guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
WeatherTech's will be here tomorrow according to tracking. I was looking at pictures (I know, not the best) of the 2nd row, 2020 VS 2021 and I don't see a difference. Fingers crossed the rear floor mat I ordered will fit! I'll keep everyone posted on my findings.

If the rear doesn't fit and I can't return it for some reason, anyone need a 2nd row Weathertech for their 2020 Mega cab? LOL

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I forgot to mention I do have a screen protector for it I just don’t have it installed yet. I was kind of hoping I didn’t need to use it because I’m fearful it’ll take away from some of the snapiness

It won't affect it at all. Installed the same one shown on mine and it did change anything.