New 5th gen multi-function tailgate coming soon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And for those seeking details about it, here's a link to the story about it on Allpar.com (which has hinted at this thing for quite awhile now).

TXCOMT

smithwessn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Does anyone see this as practical? I just can’t see how I would use it.

I'm right there with ya. The concept just seems gimmicky to me. I certainly wouldn't pay extra for it.

Now if they made heated and cooled cup holders in the tailgate, I might be interested. Haha.

hksvr4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I traded in the 2017 Honda Ridgeline for the Ram 1500. The Honda had the swing opening on the tailgate as well as the standard flip up. The swing gate was very useful reaching in to the bed instead of climbing into it. The draw back it was a big door to swing and it was way heavier than the tailgate on the Ram. I believe they said the Ram’s split gate would add additional 75lbs the gate. Also the bed is a special order bed to accommodate the split gate. This would add cost into the price. But unlike the GMC’s multi-tailgate, which is only available on the highest trim level, the Ram’s split gate can be configured on any trim.

OP
OP
JB1

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Latest from car and driver with full details and animation of how it works.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...D&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social-media

Ram says it's possible to retrofit the new tailgate to an existing 2019 1500 truck, but because it would require replacing the box in addition to the tailgate, it's impractical.

Opting for the Multifunction Tailgate will cost $995 on any trim level—and it comes with a spray-in bedliner, ordinarily an extra-cost option

Pickups with the new tailgate option will be available at dealerships starting in late spring 2019

BD61F453-6054-4BC1-AAEE-FD9E5ACC5072.png

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In my 4th gen I have a 2x4 between the wheel wells as a barrier and load containers and boxes at the end of the bed so with this it would take out the necessity of having to jump up on the open tail gate for something that is just barely a foot out of reach but I don't think I'd pay $995 for that convenience.

I can see it being applicable to some people though.

guyc66

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In my 4th gen I have a 2x4 between the wheel wells as a barrier and load containers and boxes at the end of the bed so with this it would take out the necessity of having to jump up on the open tail gate for something that is just barely a foot out of reach but I don't think I'd pay $995 for that convenience.

I can see it being applicable to some people though.

Yes I agree it would save the "stretch" in many cases.

It could also replace the need to have a Ford & Chevy type step up handle. One side open makes it easier to step on the the bumper and step into the bed.

It also could reduce the chances of damaging your tailgate when towing a trailer. You know...those times when you need to open the tailgate and slam it on the trailer crank. DAMHIK

This is actually a pretty useful design.

If bedliner cost is included for $995 not too shabby. Cost me almost that much to repair my old 2014 tailgate [emoji30]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

17CrewCab1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You know how you're the first person to come out with something and think you're all that. Then someone else comes out and does it better and you smack the back of your engineers head and say "Why did you think of this??!!"

GM did it way to complicated. Too many moving parts. Crap, they can't even keep a freaking tailgate handle bezel on their Damn trucks.

Ram.. You did it. I'm getting a 5th Gen now.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Shaggy

Administrator/Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Ram Year
--
Engine
--
Can it drop down like a normal tailgate to, or is it just only going to be able to sing it up like a door?

OP
OP
JB1

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It says its a $995 option but includes the bedliner, isn't the bedliner like $495

few more pics

2019-ram-1500-multifunction-tailgate7-1549399481.jpg

2019-ram-1500-multifunction-tailgate1-1549399481.jpg

2019-ram-1500-multifunction-tailgate6-1549399482.jpg

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Naw, rather than some funky tailgate, I think I’d rather see the 392 step down to the halfton, and maybe a 426.....ish pop up for the HD’s....[emoji18]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Think of how useful that could be if you have a trailer hitched up. I had to buy an extended hitch (stinger) so I could open my tailgate when my travel trailer is connected. I would love this feature.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Think of how useful that could be if you have a trailer hitched up. I had to buy an extended hitch (stinger) so I could open my tailgate when my travel trailer is connected. I would love this feature.

Now, that would be nice. I ended up changing the jack on my little utility trailer from the tip of the tongue to further back just so I could drop the tailgate without having a cursing session. Lol.

17Delmonico

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Now, that would be nice. I ended up changing the jack on my little utility trailer from the tip of the tongue to further back just so I could drop the tailgate without having a cursing session. Lol.

I put this on my utility trailer.

https://jack-e-up.com/

Makes the jack easily removable, so it never gets in the way of my tailgate. Uses the existing jack.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put this on my utility trailer.

https://jack-e-up.com/

Makes the jack easily removable, so it never gets in the way of my tailgate. Uses the existing jack.

That’s pretty cool, I never woulda thought of such a thing. I just bought me a cheap little bolt-on frame mount swivel jack from Tractor Supply that folds up. Plus, I had bought a caster wheel foot when I bought the trailer so, I’d have to take that off each time if i had one of them and the original jack.

Cool find, tho.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I've been using the original bed steps on my truck.....also known as the rear tires. Who would have ever thunk it?

For several years I've been using my voice activated system for item retrieval that would require me to climb into the truck bed.

"Son, get that out of the truck for me."