New 5th gen multi-function tailgate coming soon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Periodically I will load 50 or 80 pound bags of concrete into the bed of my truck. Having to toss them 4 feet to get them past the 2 foot tailgate is not easy, nor is it fun to pull them back out of the bed. Often will get inside the bed and while kneeling I will move them to the tailgate and then get on the ground and grab them one by one off the tailgate. With a split tailgate I could stand a couple inches instead of a couple of feet from the edge of the bed.

As for any flexing when the tailgate is up, that depends on the stiffness of the truck frame. Pickup frames are at least 3 times stiffer now then they were with prior generations of trucks and was a necessary improvement to allow for increased towing capacity.

https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2018/01/ram-beefs-up-frame-suspension-for-new-1500.html

I did notice an increase in the payload capacity for the 2019 1500 pickups and evidently that is in part due to the stronger frame.

Daveski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I think they should spend more time working on how to make the motor more reliable rather than a tailgate that is user friendly.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think they should spend more time working on how to make the motor more reliable rather than a tailgate that is user friendly.

I agree but, there’s ways around that engine-longevity issue with the Hemi’s. You just have to use better quality oil filters that filter way better, don’t use cheap non-synthetic oil and change it long before that oil life meter tells you to. I’m not entirely sold on the idea but I think there’s a big reason why so many people on here recommend using that 30 weight redline oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I like the fact that I can get closer to what’s in the bed without the tailgate making me reach out.

But what I’m not liking is the asymmetrical seam that’s a little too visible for me. Wish it looked a little better but I understand that’d be pretty hard to do here.

It’s a function over form dilemma.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I would be happier with a one piece tailgate that could pivot down or like a door from either side. those two sections dont line up while new so what will they look like after a cpl. years and a few thousand open and shut cycles.

CG2742

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I didn’t like the multi function tail gate. Saw one just yesterday at dealership. It’s super bulky in comparison. It’s a neat feature but I’d rather had old school fashion. It took a few tries to close properly on body hinges when it was folded down old school style and kind of moved as the trucks body shifted from say rolling over a curb. I beat the hell out of my last tail gate and I saw it just breaking after so much use. Be great for grocery store runs though.