New and some questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
L

LiveHuntGrow

Reaction score
I did an HID conversion on my mustang and love it. So can someone convince me the LED bulbs are better?

OP
OP
L

LiveHuntGrow

Reaction score
:D:D:D Only on the internet could a flashlight seem like "more of a hassle" than wiring new lights into a truck. Honestly, this might be the best post I've seen in a long time.

Not only is the headlamp infinitely less work, it's also infinitely more versatile since it can be used literally everywhere and not just in the truck bed. Need to look in the engine compartment? Headlamp. Drop something next to the truck? Headlamp. Need to look under the truck? Headlamp. Need to look under your seats? Headlamp.

Man, this is a good one.
Headlight always has to be charged. (If anyone has relied on a device that runs on batteries they know they always run out when you need them the most. )
Have to keep track of it (setting it down, kids in the car moving it, wife moving it and not putting it back, etc.)
Have to waste storage for it.
What if you dropped it and the light turns off, now you're really screwed (this is more a joke, but I have seen it with my headlight).

I am not trying to minimalize the usefulness of a headlamp, but it seems way more convenient to flip a switch when I need it, instead of keeping track of a headset and making sure its charged all the time.

I did admit, the first 30 minutes of the setup is more of a hassle, but the end result would be more convenient.

dadbern

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L hemi
I was going to go with LED's but i have projector headlights and I did not like having to align the leds correctly, plus some of the discussions mention inconsistent lighting in a projector housing setup with leds.

I went with 55w hid's from xenonpro.com in 6000k, love them, even consistent lighting, great down road view, the whole kit with the canbus was 119. I also put the same setup in my fog lights. I know leds last nearly forever, but, the lifespan of the HID's is pretty darn good too.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Headlight always has to be charged. (If anyone has relied on a device that runs on batteries they know they always run out when you need them the most. )
Have to keep track of it (setting it down, kids in the car moving it, wife moving it and not putting it back, etc.)
Have to waste storage for it.
What if you dropped it and the light turns off, now you're really screwed (this is more a joke, but I have seen it with my headlight).

I am not trying to minimalize the usefulness of a headlamp, but it seems way more convenient to flip a switch when I need it, instead of keeping track of a headset and making sure its charged all the time.

I did admit, the first 30 minutes of the setup is more of a hassle, but the end result would be more convenient.
I have to agree with this. On the surface, using a headlight seems to be the easiest. But for the reasons you mentioned (and in a real world those would all happen), having lights wired up in the bed would be the better solution in the long run.

dadbern

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L hemi
I agree with with updating the lights in the bed as the best route, but a s a man who loves badass flashlights that can blind someone at 200 yards, one is never enough and if the wife or kids move them its just another reason for me to buy a new and improved better one...lol...I have one in the console, one in the glove box and one in my door

Plus, I got my wife and kids their own so they better not touch mine...just saying

OP
OP
L

LiveHuntGrow

Reaction score
I agree with with updating the lights in the bed as the best route, but a s a man who loves badass flashlights that can blind someone at 200 yards, one is never enough and if the wife or kids move them its just another reason for me to buy a new and improved better one...lol...I have one in the console, one in the glove box and one in my door

Plus, I got my wife and kids their own so they better not touch mine...just saying

Hahah. And I put one in a magnet box under the truck and didn't tell anyone. Just in case.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Not too long ago, on this forum, someone wrote that there is a Pigtail in the wiring harness
I think they wrote that it is near the spare tire.
That line is there to power the light in a cap or shell, maybe even a camper.

I don't recall where you would look, unless you could find a wiring diagram.

You may find something here under
Electrical Wiring Information

OP
OP
L

LiveHuntGrow

Reaction score
Not too long ago, on this forum, someone wrote that there is a Pigtail in the wiring harness
I think they wrote that it is near the spare tire.
That line is there to power the light in a cap or shell, maybe even a camper.

I don't recall where you would look, unless you could find a wiring diagram.

You may find something here under
Electrical Wiring Information

Interesting. I will take a look around.

Frontbutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not too keen on the headlamp idea either. Clamping an energy releasing bungee cord around your head with multiple electron storage devices seems risky. If you don't align the strap right you can smack your eye with the bungee, and the electron storage units are an explosion hazard, and right against your head? Who would do such a thing? I love the idea of tracing multiple wiring harnesses under the truck at night with your two year old shining a solar powered light for you while you brush away the dust and sand looking for a power source for your bed lights. Its a one and done problem though and you'll learn a ton under your truck at night.