Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tokelat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What's going on everyone, I am here from good'l Phoenix Arizona!

I just acquired a family members forgotten project through a trade for a running vehicle. I picked up a 2013 Ram 1500 with 260k miles that has not ran for about 2 1/2 years. This Ram has the 5.7 Hemi and the infamous tick and lifter issues dating back to around 8 years ago. The person I got this from did not pay attention to it and joked about running the car into the ground and never looked back.

I pulled the truck to my house over the weekend and slapped a new battery in it. We were able to get it to fire up, probably not the best idea with the mud-like oil and super old gas, however we couldn't resist. We pulled the coil pack and plugs from the cylinder that showed it was misfiring and did some compression test with little to no pressure. We then just started at tearing things down and made some good progress.

My end goal is to build something I feel confident as a daily driver and can have for many years to come. Ultimately, I am anticipating replacing/rebuilding the motor and transmission.

I would love to browse through here to see similar builds and possibly pick up some quick thoughts on how to handle things.

Any recommendations on companies to look at for good replacement engines/transmissions would be highly appreciated. I have started calling around to some local shops with prices ranging anywhere from 3200-6000 to rebuild engine and around 2800-3500 to rebuild transmission.

I am also trying to consider what things I should take into consideration while I have this bad boy torn apart.

Well, thanks for having me and I am looking forward to completing this build!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-29 at 9.15.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-29 at 9.15.17 PM.png
    965.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Screen Shot 2022-11-29 at 9.15.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-29 at 9.15.10 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 30
  • Screen Shot 2022-11-29 at 9.15.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-29 at 9.15.02 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 30

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
There are quite a few members on this site, that also live around the general Phoenix area

OP
OP
T

tokelat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That is a good call out, I just read through a thread with a gentlemen that had a bad experience going to a shop I called and considered today.

Again, any suggestions would be appreciated as I think word of mouth goes a long way in support good mechanics.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Welcome buddy from Edmonton Alberta Canada nice truck I bet there’s no rust

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Find the YouTube channel called Solar Garage. He just completed a complete teardown and rebuild of an 09 and made over 60 hours of content. A must watch series before you start.

Personal thought is to stick to rebuilding the engine and transmission rather than replacing, assuming the block is still good.
My truck just had a trans rebuild for 3200.

Good luck

Last edited:

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Welcome to the group!
going by the pic's the truck looks like a 1500 express nice trucks
i would find a machine shop that has been around from the time you were a kid or if you are older like me around longer than you lol the reason for that is the reputation been a round a long time there is a reason for the good reputation ! as far as parts goes upgrade oil pump , cam stay with factory lift and duration but use a better brand and last but not least pay the extra and have them clean up all the head intake and exhaust ports to take off and casting pitting or marks makes for better flow and very very minimal Hp not even noticeable or .25 horse more lol
the reason to stay with factory cam duration and lift you will not have to do any ECM programing That is a pain in the ass ! if you change to a mild to wild cam you have get someone to put a custom tune in!

hope this helps and i know there is those that will bash what i have just suggested but it is just a suggestion and what i would probably do my self ! so take it for what it is worth !

Good luck and please keep us all posted we will be looking forward in seeing and hearing what you do with the truck

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Build it for what you want and can afford ignore hater’s show truck overland rig drag truck if it’s a n I.c.e I like it

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
@tokelat Welcome to RamForum. I'm going to move this thread over to the 4th Gen section so you can keep this discussion going.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
What's going on everyone, I am here from good'l Phoenix Arizona!

I just acquired a family members forgotten project through a trade for a running vehicle. I picked up a 2013 Ram 1500 with 260k miles that has not ran for about 2 1/2 years. This Ram has the 5.7 Hemi and the infamous tick and lifter issues dating back to around 8 years ago. The person I got this from did not pay attention to it and joked about running the car into the ground and never looked back.

I pulled the truck to my house over the weekend and slapped a new battery in it. We were able to get it to fire up, probably not the best idea with the mud-like oil and super old gas, however we couldn't resist. We pulled the coil pack and plugs from the cylinder that showed it was misfiring and did some compression test with little to no pressure. We then just started at tearing things down and made some good progress.

My end goal is to build something I feel confident as a daily driver and can have for many years to come. Ultimately, I am anticipating replacing/rebuilding the motor and transmission.

I would love to browse through here to see similar builds and possibly pick up some quick thoughts on how to handle things.

Any recommendations on companies to look at for good replacement engines/transmissions would be highly appreciated. I have started calling around to some local shops with prices ranging anywhere from 3200-6000 to rebuild engine and around 2800-3500 to rebuild transmission.

I am also trying to consider what things I should take into consideration while I have this bad boy torn apart.

Well, thanks for having me and I am looking forward to completing this build!
These days i wouldn't even consider rebuilding an engine if i was keeping it stock,when you can buy a brand new "complete" engine for roughly the same price as a rebuilt, from outfits like MMX or even Ma Mopar.

Last edited:

Noob2Trucks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I use Race Prep Performance out in El Mirage.zack (owner) has done solid work for me.

I have a bunch of stock parts sitting in storage if you need stuff (suspension, motor, etc). My truck is a 2018, but I think some of it is interchangeable. I'm up in Surprise.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963