New Battery, but wont start...wont even crank. Jumper cables, it starts immediately

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Corey Burgess

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Auto
I had a dead battery, tried to jump it but accidentally switched the poles (negative on positive). Saw what i did and quickly removed the cables. Wouldnt jump off after that.

I went and bought a new battery and tried to crank it...nothing. I put the jumper cables on it and it started immediately. removed the cables and it ran fine. Turned the ignition off to see if it would restart and it was dead again. Again, no noise when I tried to crank it.

Fusable link blown potentially? Solenoid blown out when I reversed the poles?

Any help is appreciated.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Try cleaning terminals and grounds,make sure electric connections are clean.positive at starter and or starter relay.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
assuming all connections are good, doesn't make sense connecting jumpers would allow a start but without them theres no start.

aside from checking all connections like Daw14 said, did you confirm the new battery was charged? pretty much all new batteries should be fully charged before use.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Get your Volt meter and make sure your grounds are good.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is your alternator putting out 14.5 vdc, you should check it at the battery, Like Sandevino said get a volt meter, you may have fried the diodes in the alternator from the reverse polarity hook up.