New body (5th gen) vs classic (4th gen) rant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It can get a little confusing when I call around asking if they have something in stock for my new 5th gen. I'm looking for a local auto parts store that stocks window vent visors for the 5th gen but everytime they say they have them it is always for the 4th gen truck. When are they going to stop making the 4th trucks?lol

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It can get a little confusing when I call around asking if they have something in stock for my new 5th gen. I'm looking for a local auto parts store that stocks window vent visors for the 5th gen but everytime they say they have them it is always for the 4th gen truck. When are they going to stop making the 4th trucks?lol

It's an epidemic, just look at all of the posts in this 5th gen section that are about 4th gens.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those stupid 4th gen guys. When are they going to stop buying those awesome looking manly cross hair grill trucks and start buying these neutered looking Rams like the rest of us? :hidesbehindsofa:

OP
OP
Rlaf75

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those stupid 4th gen guys. When are they going to stop buying those awesome looking manly cross hair grill trucks and start buying these neutered looking Rams like the rest of us? :hidesbehindsofa:
Its funny because I traded in my manly cross haired grill truck for a neutered looking Ram like the rest of you lol20210622_115320.jpg

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The orange is a beautiful color. The biggest turn off for me is the side hood badges. The only 5th gen I saw that I really liked and would consider buying was one that was the same color as my '19. The truck was granite crystal with the black out package. That was a sharp looking truck.

OP
OP
Rlaf75

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The orange is a beautiful color. The biggest turn off for me is the side hood badges. The only 5th gen I saw that I really liked and would consider buying was one that was the same color as my '19. The truck was granite crystal with the black out package. That was a sharp looking truck.
Yeah not sure why the put that badge on the hood. I think the blacked out badging definitely looks better than the chrome on most. What really sucks is you can remove it because it sits in a recess in the hood. If you take it off then you're left with an empty pocket lol

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Both trucks are great looking trucks, not sure why we have to pick a favorite as nothing prevents us from liking both equally :)

What's really funny is that I never liked the 4th gen trucks, in fact I never liked the style of any pickup pre 2019. Then the new Ram'***** the dealers and the new GM twins and both of those really struck me as being fresh, rugged, and just great looking trucks.

I bought a 5th gen and the more I've owned it, the more I've started liking the 4th gens as well, both of them have great lines. I find the 5th gen has a bit more character to it though, especially the side and rear, the 4th gens sides basically look like parenthesis when you stare at it directly head on or from the tailgate ...

( =+= )

^^front profile lol

But when you see it coming down the road, the front itself has that nice rugged look, no question.

OP
OP
Rlaf75

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Both trucks are great looking trucks, not sure why we have to pick a favorite as nothing prevents us from liking both equally :)
I'm not knocking the 4th gen trucks by any means. I always liked and still do like the way the look. That's why I bought one. I just traded that one in for a new 5th gen Built To Serve edition this past Tuesday. My point was and is, when I call places to inquire about accessories the people get confused. I'll say I have a 2021 Ram they say they have the accessory but it's for a 4th gen. I get they may just be releasing a computer screen and may not know theres a difference but it becomes a pain in the ass lol

OP
OP
Rlaf75

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Didnt the 5th gens come out before the ranger? If so, wouldn't the ranger look like the 5th gen? Lol. To be totally honest here, when the 5th gens first came out I thought they looked like the new toyota tundra lol

Only in America regarding the ranger, this current generation/platform was around for a long time in other countries though.

I didn't like the longhorn/limited headlights and the hood badge when the 5th gen came out. Still can't stand the hood badges, and I've accepted the lights because I finally got good quality headlights from the factory.

Back to your original post, I hear of lots of classic and warlock guys getting the wrong parts for their trucks too (getting 5th gen parts). For them though there is the simple solution of just ordering for a 2018, for 5th gen people ordering parts you have to clarify/verify it's for the DT new body style 5th gen. And then you also get like 1/2 the posts in here (maybe a slight exaggeration) being about 4th gens rather than 5th gens.

OP
OP
Rlaf75

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Only in America regarding the ranger, this current generation/platform was around for a long time in other countries though.

I didn't like the longhorn/limited headlights and the hood badge when the 5th gen came out. Still can't stand the hood badges, and I've accepted the lights because I finally got good quality headlights from the factory.

Back to your original post, I hear of lots of classic and warlock guys getting the wrong parts for their trucks too (getting 5th gen parts). For them though there is the simple solution of just ordering for a 2018, for 5th gen people ordering parts you have to clarify/verify it's for the DT new body style 5th gen. And then you also get like 1/2 the posts in here (maybe a slight exaggeration) being about 4th gens rather than 5th gens.
Having just traded in my 4th gen for a new 5th gen I just found out about the DS (4th) and the DT (5th) thing. I just have to remember which one is which when I need to order stuff for it

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hahaha...more than half the 4th gens I owned didn't have that "awesome looking manly cross hair grill" since they were Rebels. Actually, the main thing I used to dislike about Dodge/Ram trucks was the cross hair grille back when I was a GM guy. :D

Someone said that the new Ram 5th gen look like Ford Rangers. Now, I can't unsee it.

Both look better than the new F-150. And I'm a ford guy too.

View attachment 462980View attachment 462982
View attachment 462981View attachment 462983
I noticed that resemblance the first time I saw the new Ranger, but it's really only the shape of some of the front end components that share that resemblance. And even then it's only at first glance. Nothing about the rest of the truck resembles the Ram anymore than any other pickup might.

Jerrybob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hey.....Ram trucks are all cool! I know several girls who still love their classic trucks.....LOL!

LSU04_08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque
Its funny because I traded in my manly cross haired grill truck for a neutered looking Ram like the rest of you lolView attachment 462931

OH YEAH! Love that layout. There's definitely nothing neutered about the new body style. I traded mine in for a new one, too.

2016 I traded
Ram17.jpgRam23.jpg

2021 I traded for
2021 Ram 4.jpg
2021 Ram 3.jpg

I'm a much bigger fan of the new front end, but to each their own. Ram didn't keep producing the classic for no reason.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I liked the 5th gen right away, and only after owning one did I come to appreciate the styling of the 4th/classic. But I'lll never get over that Jay Leno chin on the classics, it's just a little bit ... much.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio