New Cam Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TroyGarner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ran into a lifter failure, so I'm now looking at some cam options to add a little bit of power while I replace the lifters (nothing too crazy).

I have a 2012 Ram 1500 Sport (5.7L 4x4 Crew Cab) 6 speed trans.

Here are some of the Mopar parts I was looking at:
(4) 5038784AC - LIFTER KIT
(4) 53032221AA - MDS DELETE PLUGS
(16) 53022090AB - VALVE SEALS
(1) P5160074 - PERFORMANCE VALVE SPRINGS ** (will need a replacement that fits with the cam I choose - this seems discontinued, although I don't see many specs about the springs here)
(1) P5155655 - SET OF TIE BARS FOR ROCKER SHAFT ** (the site says this won't fit my truck, although I saw mentions of this around the forum?)
(1) 53021622BH - OIL PUMP

I don't want to end up modifying the phaser or anything like that and would like a VVT cam that will work with the non-MDS lifters and add a bit of power over stock without having to modify or spend too much. I'm capable of doing the research but my knowledge is still fairly limited, and I won't be doing the install myself.

Any recommendations would be helpful for power, budget and parts compatibility.

Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TroyGarner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Jay Greenes .5 cam would be nice for a daily driver.
I'm also trying to reach out to Jay to get appropriate guidance with all this. I kind of figured that this might be a good option, since the non-"thumper" cams will work with the VVT and won't require any phaser modifications unless I'm misguided..

On the MMX website I'm seeing that they list Mopar non-MDS hellcat lifters, but they only list the R/T 5.7L Hemi engine.. Will these not work with any 5.7L Hemi engine (or is this primarily because it won't work with the stock camshaft that they don't list the others)? If I can go with more mopar parts, it would serve me better since I can get a discount.

1634258803825.png

I also read about people talking about 4x4 and gear ratios with some cams.. If the moderate Jay Greene cams will still work with my truck even though I hadn't done anything with the gears then that's likely what I'll do! If I can get a reply from him he might be able to help me out with all the other accessories that I'd need.

My goal is to gain a little bit of power with upgrading my parts for better reliability all while not breaking the bank too much haha.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Most cam need a phase limiter. Yes Hellcat lifters is what you want.

The cam kit come with everything you need so dont worry about it. Trying to piece a kit together is just a waste of time. trust me...lol...

got my **** here - http://www.frptuning.com/category-s/144.htm

Flyin' Rayan Sidewinder 2.0 is for Daily drivers

OP
OP
T

TroyGarner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Most cam need a phase limiter. Yes Hellcat lifters is what you want.

The cam kit come with everything you need so dont worry about it. Trying to piece a kit together is just a waste of time. trust me...lol...

got my **** here - http://www.frptuning.com/category-s/144.htm

Flyin' Rayan Sidewinder 2.0 is for Daily drivers
I'll take your word for it with the kit building haha.

I saw Jay Greene had a VVT cam kit for $1900 shipped as well. He's away until next week but I'll ask him about that.. I had my eye on the 205/222 Stage .5 HL v2 VVT camshaft for the 5.7L Hemi.

I read some information posted by "Wild One" on this forum about his VVT cams leaving stock VVT movement in tact and not requiring a phaser limiter. If that ends up being the case, then that would be the selling point for me with the .5 cam from Jay Greene. I don't think I'll be installing a different stall for a while... Just need to make sure I get all the correct accessories for it.

In "Wile One"s case, he had the 1.5HL VVT camshaft, and here's what he wrote: (https://www.ramforum.com/threads/cam-option.133409/page-4#post-1999278)
Nope it still allows all 38 degrees of cam movement,that's one of the reasons I went with it.I knew I wouldn't be throwing a convertor in for awhile,so I wanted as much cam advance as possible to keep some bottom end torque.Besides the limiter is a bit of a ***** to install,and if you don't get it right,the phasor explodes into a bunch of pieces and then you're buying another phasor from the dealer,lol.My Chryco tech buddy was installing one of Matts cams,for a customer and he ended up buying the customer another phasor,and he's still yelling about it,lol

Coincidentally, Frostbite Ram on Youtube had the .5 cam installed in his truck as well and I was looking to see if he had a phaser limiter in his parts list, but I didn't see it. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OsxOd4x8LU). The valve springs that he's using is now listed as "discontinued" on the Mopar website though (figures!). If I can buy a kit from Jay though and it has all that I need, due to my lack of experience, I might go that route!

edit: I also noticed you have the same year Ram as I do :)

Last edited:

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
The $1,900 kit from Jay has every single thing you want, would strongly recommend MDS delete kit and hellcat lifters as you've already pointed out. The .5HL cam includes new pushrods and springs also and retains VVT, keep in mind you'll probably want the valve spring install tool also which will set you back about $140. He does have a .5 kit that also lets you run stock springs/rods.

OP
OP
T

TroyGarner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The $1,900 kit from Jay has every single thing you want, would strongly recommend MDS delete kit and hellcat lifters as you've already pointed out. The .5HL cam includes new pushrods and springs also and retains VVT, keep in mind you'll probably want the valve spring install tool also which will set you back about $140. He does have a .5 kit that also lets you run stock springs/rods.

Sounds perfect to me! I don’t have a large budget, but I do see the value in upgrading to hardened pushrods and upgraded springs while I have the valve cover and everything off.

Crazy how the MDS lifters are also more expensive too… Definitely not going back to those.

Thanks for the help guys!

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Subscribing as I may be soon doing the same thing for the same reason.

Are you doing the swap yourself or taking it to a shop?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Check with Matt at Moes, a forum vendor who can set you up with everything you need.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TroyGarner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Subscribing as I may be soon doing the same thing for the same reason.

Are you doing the swap yourself or taking it to a shop?
I’ll be taking mine into a shop to have it done. It’s nearing winter here so I’d rather not deal with all the fluids and make sure the timings are all correct.

Check with Matt at Moes, a forum vendor who can set you up with everything you need.
I’ve opted to go with Jay’s camshafts since he’s got a full package deal that has all of what I need. The VVT camshafts are probably the best for my current situation, and I’ve heard good reviews on them. I’ve ordered some stuff from Matt in the past though!

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ll be taking mine into a shop to have it done. It’s nearing winter here so I’d rather not deal with all the fluids and make sure the timings are all correct.
Cool, can you keep us posted on price for install. I don't have the space myself either at the moment and not sure if I want to tackle it in my buddies unheated barn with winter coming either. Although, I am finding it difficult to find good shops in the STL area.

Are you going with the stage .5HL?

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
If you need help/advice let me know, I'm over north of edwardsville.

David_Jacobs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I ran into a lifter failure, so I'm now looking at some cam options to add a little bit of power while I replace the lifters (nothing too crazy).

I have a 2012 Ram 1500 Sport (5.7L 4x4 Crew Cab) 6 speed trans.

Here are some of the Mopar parts I was looking at:
(4) 5038784AC - LIFTER KIT
(4) 53032221AA - MDS DELETE PLUGS
(16) 53022090AB - VALVE SEALS
(1) P5160074 - PERFORMANCE VALVE SPRINGS ** (will need a replacement that fits with the cam I choose - this seems discontinued, although I don't see many specs about the springs here)
(1) P5155655 - SET OF TIE BARS FOR ROCKER SHAFT ** (the site says this won't fit my truck, although I saw mentions of this around the forum?)
(1) 53021622BH - OIL PUMP

I don't want to end up modifying the phaser or anything like that and would like a VVT cam that will work with the non-MDS lifters and add a bit of power over stock without having to modify or spend too much. I'm capable of doing the research but my knowledge is still fairly limited, and I won't be doing the install myself.

Any recommendations would be helpful for power, budget and parts compatibility.

Thanks!
You'll find there isn't actually something called a "Hellcat Lifter". The non-MDS lifters are all the same (Since about 2016 I think), the part number suffix changed to AD from AC and are now universally used in everything (5.7, 6.2, 6.,1 etc) from about 2003. You'll probably want new pushrods aswell, not sure why you want to change the valve seals? Also consider the MMX NSR cam if you haven't pulled the trigger already, no valve spring replacement and saves some cash, but you'll need a phase limiter for the extra lift/duration.

Also, change that Phaser bolt and get a Mopar gasket kit for the surface you break.

Last edited: