New coil pack and plugs/still throws p0307

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Leftysdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2012 ram 5.7 had a cel and said P0307
Miss fire on #7....
So replaced the coil pack and both (champion copper) plugs...
Ran great for about 4 hours, then cel comes back on, and pulls P0307....
Bad injector???
Still runs good, but pulling same code
Thanks in advance

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Yeah probly a fubarred lifter. [emoji37] Had the same problem with mine. Pulled my oil filter and cut it apart and found shiny bits. Ended up swapping my cam and lifters for non mds and a performance cam.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I would start there it's a cheap check. If you don't see metal maybe pull the valve covers off and see if the rockers are all moving the same distance. If #7 is less than the others you kno what's going on.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Yeah def not cheap. It's not super hard just a big puzzle really. But it could go sideways quickly if you don't really understand what does what.

OP
OP
L

Leftysdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Stick with just stock cam and lifters?
Daily driven truck with 180k miles
(Changing oil and filter in the morning and checking for metal)

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Yeah I would, being higher mileage and a daily you probly aren't looking for performance. Putting stock stuff back in would be cheaper and probly more economical in your case. The mds lifters may be harder to find I Beleive they're backordered.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Mine went out at like 65k miles so I juiced it up but at 180 you probly don't want to stress anything out by adding power to be honest.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Stick with just stock cam and lifters?
Daily driven truck with 180k miles
(Changing oil and filter in the morning and checking for metal)

Can I ask what oil you were using?

Read the thread in my sig, different oils and additives can stop hemi tick.

Here's a dyi thread to see what is involved.

Lifters are hard to find, even ram forum vendors avoid selling them. Prices for cam swaps are all over the board, from 1800 to 7800 and beyond. And swapping ifters/cams is a risk if there is metal in the block, no good way to make sure this isn't the case, at that point you mise well replace engine. I would think under 4 grand is a fair price, if you can get a dealer under or around 4 grand I would jump on that. Call your local dealers and ask about how much for lifter/cam job. Ask for old cam and lifters, just tell them you want them for your purposes. Take pictures for ram club.

Some guys replace oem with hellcat lifters, enquire about that with dealer. If the dealer wants more then 5 grand, I'd ask every shop in town. This is such a large known issue, I bet everyone of them have done a swap. Recently we had someone with an issue after using non dealer shop, thus why I prefer a dealer first. Hopefully they don't write of the risk of metal in writing prior, if they do, you might want to think about it.

burner71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My local Dodge dealer did my replace for 2900
Ive seen guys with small shops advertise the cam lifter swap for as low as 900.
If you decide to do a motor swap, look for smaller transmission shops. Ive found a few that will do the motor swap for $1300-$1600 if you supply all the parts.

Dgriffi2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I’ve been reading threads about this for a while, as I have an ‘11 Sport with 64000 miles. I’ve heard a very faint ticking for about 3 seconds at start up for what seems like forever, so I’ve so fare counted my blessings that I’m ok.
Well... today i started her up and there was a loud ticking seeming to come from the driver’s side of the motor. I let it run for just a few minutes, it didn’t seem to diminish and i shut it off.
About half an hour later i started it up and there was 0 noise. Drove down the road a bit and back to warm it up and still nothing.

I’ve got a couple of places in town i trust, just wondering if the suddenness of the ticking both starting and stopping was any kind of clue? Could i get lucky and have it be the header bolts?

the truck is in immaculate condition and I’d rather keep it than trade it in- as tempting as a new Ram is, taking on $25k or more in auto debt doesn’t seem very good idea right now. Plus assuming tick comes back, i doubt I’d get squat on a trade in.

P.S. a few week’s ago i was cruising along and put my foot into it and the check engine light flashed and power cut out. Slowed down and it ran fine. Pulled code when i got home and it was p0301, cylinder 1 misfire. I chalked it up to needing new plugs.

Last edited: