New Coil Springs

TufTruck 1211's or Cargomaxx HD?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

Jake1215

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
It says on the tire and load sticker 1490lbs and on the one with the VIN it says front GVWR 3900 and rear 3900 which is 7800. I know the 1490 includes what's in the bed and passengers and everything else but i don't imagine that would've been almost 1500 on the hitch with it being a 2 axle trailer and completely empty. Even with the slide being out front.

OP
OP
J

Jake1215

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
I had a 2010 with the same issue. Great ride when empty, but when I hitched up my trailer it sagged more than I was comfortable with (with a WD hitch) so after arriving in Florida on our first trip out I went to an AutoZone and picked up a set of airlift 1000s which were super easy to install inside the coil springs (I did in an hour by myself on my campsite) and it made a world of difference. I pulled my trailer many times and for many miles afterwards with no complaints. I would typically run them with about 5 pounds when not towing so-as not to affect the ride qaulity, and then pump them up to about 30 pounds when towing, which kept the truck perfectly level and gave a nice firm ride. I would highly recomend the Airlift 1000s as a solution to your problem.
Just looked that up and it said i have to run an air line? I don't have a compressor or any air components at all in this truck so I'm assuming I'd have to get compressor and solenoid and all that as well?

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just looked that up and it said i have to run an air line? I don't have a compressor or any air components at all in this truck so I'm assuming I'd have to get compressor and solenoid and all that as well?
If you wanted to build it all in yes, otherwise you can use a portable 12v compressor, or gas station, it really requires such little air for the 1000s that it's very fast.

09SilverRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I run mine to a Schrader valve in the wheel well. You could also go back to the license plate area.

Then you just use a 12v compressor and tire gauge you already own.

Ratman6161

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It says on the tire and load sticker 1490lbs and on the one with the VIN it says front GVWR 3900 and rear 3900 which is 7800. I know the 1490 includes what's in the bed and passengers and everything else but i don't imagine that would've been almost 1500 on the hitch with it being a 2 axle trailer and completely empty. Even with the slide being out front.
FYI, this may sound counter-intuative, but adding your front gross axle weight rating + your rear gross axle weight rating, you bet a number er that is actually greater than your GVWR. Example: on my 22 2500, the GFAWR is 5500 and the GRAWR is 6390 which adds up to 11,890. But my GVWR is 10,000.

1490 is really not very much payload for towing a Travel trailer. My former GMC 1500 with 6.2L and 10 speed had a payload of 1650. By my calculations that was going to be marginal at best for our new travel trailer. That's even considering we travel relatively lite and only two people. Our trailer is a 30 footer that's 7034 empty and about 7600 loaded. Our tongue weight is 941 empty and 1008 loaded. We have a large front slide out a d also a front kitchen, but still that works out to a tongue weight of a out 13.2% which is right in the good zone.

Finally, a CAT scale is your best friend for answering these questions. It's quick, easy and cheap and until you get real weights from a scale, it's all guess work and speculation.

In the end I upgraded to a RAM 2500.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
FYI, this may sound counter-intuative, but adding your front gross axle weight rating + your rear gross axle weight rating, you bet a number er that is actually greater than your GVWR. Example: on my 22 2500, the GFAWR is 5500 and the GRAWR is 6390 which adds up to 11,890. But my GVWR is 10,000.

1490 is really not very much payload for towing a Travel trailer. My former GMC 1500 with 6.2L and 10 speed had a payload of 1650. By my calculations that was going to be marginal at best for our new travel trailer. That's even considering we travel relatively lite and only two people. Our trailer is a 30 footer that's 7034 empty and about 7600 loaded. Our tongue weight is 941 empty and 1008 loaded. We have a large front slide out a d also a front kitchen, but still that works out to a tongue weight of a out 13.2% which is right in the good zone.

Finally, a CAT scale is your best friend for answering these questions. It's quick, easy and cheap and until you get real weights from a scale, it's all guess work and speculation.

In the end I upgraded to a RAM 2500.

Read this: https://www.motortrend.com/features/gvwr-vs-gcwr/ or this: https://www.curtmfg.com/towing-capacity

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
GFAWR is 5500 and the GRAWR is 6390 which adds up to 11,890. But my GVWR is 10,000.
Yep, the GVWR v. Axle Weight debate is a long and deep rabbit hole and one that will fill the pages of internet forums until the end of the time. People always swear their neighbor's hairdresser's uncle is in prison for exceeding his GVWR and killing a busload of nuns but nobody can ever seem to produce any actual evidence. Next, everyone threatens your insurance won't cover you if you're in a accident... wrong again there. Your insurance company generally has to prove you willfully set out to defraud them to get out of a claim. Just doing something dumb isn't nearly enough. If people didn't do dumb things there largely would be no reason for insurance.

My whole take is that I don't like to exceed GVWR but being over by a few pounds isn't the end of the world from a safety standpoint as long as you are under your axle weights. The most I've weighed my rear axle at with 5th wheel attached and bed loaded with camping stuff is around 5900#. My axle is rated for 6500# and tires 3750#ea so I'm okay with that. Rumor has it back in 2014 the rear axle on my 2500 was actually the same one that came on the SRW 3500 rated for 7000# so I might even have more wiggle room than I think.

Ratman6161

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yep, the GVWR v. Axle Weight debate is a long and deep rabbit hole and one that will fill the pages of internet forums until the end of the time. People always swear their neighbor's hairdresser's uncle is in prison for exceeding his GVWR and killing a busload of nuns but nobody can ever seem to produce any actual evidence. Next, everyone threatens your insurance won't cover you if you're in a accident... wrong again there. Your insurance company generally has to prove you willfully set out to defraud them to get out of a claim. Just doing something dumb isn't nearly enough. If people didn't do dumb things there largely would be no reason for insurance.

My whole take is that I don't like to exceed GVWR but being over by a few pounds isn't the end of the world from a safety standpoint as long as you are under your axle weights. The most I've weighed my rear axle at with 5th wheel attached and bed loaded with camping stuff is around 5900#. My axle is rated for 6500# and tires 3750#ea so I'm okay with that. Rumor has it back in 2014 the rear axle on my 2500 was actually the same one that came on the SRW 3500 rated for 7000# so I might even have more wiggle room than I think.
I wasn't claiming any of those things. I was just pointing out to the person I was replying to that addingnthe gross axle weight ratings together does not get you your GVWR.

But since you bring it up, I do believe it's important to not exceed your GVWR. My reason is that the GVWR is the highest number the manufacturer will stand behind. I have no objective way of knowing how much, if any the truck can actually handle above that. I would just be guessing without any enginee4ing to back up my guess.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I wasn't claiming any of those things. I was just pointing out to the person I was replying to that addingnthe gross axle weight ratings together does not get you your GVWR.
I didn't mean to imply that you did.... Just anytime axle weights and GVWR get brought up the discussion usually goes south. I'm mainly remembering towing message boards.

OP
OP
J

Jake1215

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
Well again, I appreciate everyone's help and thank you for sharing your knowledge.

For now. I got the shocks the other day and waiting until after the holidays to get the springs. I think for now I'm going with the TufTruck 1211 that someone had recommended and go from there. I considered the airbags but then if one pops pulling it, I'm screwed. If it holds it up a little better with the springs then cool. If not, then I tried and I'll have to wait until I can trade it in for a 2500 which I want to do anyway. Just don't have that opportunity at the moment. My choice is to beef it up and do what I can or just let the camper be a nice yard ornament and use it to get away from the girlfriend and kids for a few lol. I was a pretty decent truck driver for 8 years so I understand weight distribution in a semi but never really had to worry about it in a pick-up truck until I inherited this heavy ass thing. Seems to be the same but totally different at the same time. Hopefully the upgraded springs and the shocks and a WDH will help me for the time being. I won't pull it if its unsafe afterwards.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 1211's will be a night and day difference vs. stock.
Is your hitch the correct height for the trailer, if the hitch is too high that will complicate things.

OP
OP
J

Jake1215

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
The 1211's will be a night and day difference vs. stock.
Is your hitch the correct height for the trailer, if the hitch is too high that will complicate things.
It should be. That's how my stepdad had it and his truck pulled it perfectly no problem. Shoulda bought a chevy lol like i said when it comes to a regular pick-up I'm not as experienced cause its the same but totally different. Is there something that says which height which type of trailer should be at?

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It should be. That's how my stepdad had it and his truck pulled it perfectly no problem. Shoulda bought a chevy lol like i said when it comes to a regular pick-up I'm not as experienced cause its the same but totally different. Is there something that says which height which type of trailer should be at?
There are a few good guides around, here's one I found link, basically it involves a level and a tape measure, pretty straightforward.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Follow the link that Daniel provided, it gives good advise.
It's a pretty easy check though but if your height is off it is hard on the tow vehicle and trailer.

This link spells it out clearly with pictures and includes a WDH.

Basically on level ground for the truck and trailer, when the trailer is level and frame parallel to the ground - when you back up is your ball at the perfect height - pretty much is the top of the ball the same height as the top of the coupler (ball should be 1/8" higher than the coupler for every 100 lbs of tongue weight).

If say your ball is significantly higher than the coupler, when you attach the trailer it will look like your first picture.
With stiffer springs if your ball is significantly higher then your trailer won't be level.

If the ball is too low then your trailer will be too low in the front.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Take your trailer to a CAT scale and get tongue weight, and trailer weight,as it is normally loaded. Your image appears to show excessive tongue weight. Makes sensel looking at rear ward axles of the trailer and the fact it has a front slide out.

Get a WDH. and get a good one at tht spend a $1k but you will be happy with the years of service it will give you
TufTruck 1211 springs.

Air Bags too, run seprate lines ot each bag. do nto share a airlines between 2 bags.

Good Lcuk

MrTinkertrain

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just my two cents: got these for my regular cab and love them. No issues towing my travel trailer. Also, no wdh either. What works for me may not for anyone else but again, just my two cents.

Howrood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m late to the party, but here‘s my experience with Rams. On a previous Ram, I installed the Firestone 500 airbags with independent fill valves and they were awesome. As some have mentioned when not loaded or towing you can still enjoy a good stock ride. On my current 2015 Ram 1500 Laramie CC 4x4, 5.7 Hemi, 8 speed with 3.92 gears, I installed the Timbren bump stops. When empty I have the stock ride. When I tow our travel trailer ~ 6500# the Tibrens and a good WDH seem to work great. I’ve been towing with it for 7 years and it handles great.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I’m late to the party, but here‘s my experience with Rams. On a previous Ram, I installed the Firestone 500 airbags with independent fill valves and they were awesome. As some have mentioned when not loaded or towing you can still enjoy a good stock ride. On my current 2015 Ram 1500 Laramie CC 4x4, 5.7 Hemi, 8 speed with 3.92 gears, I installed the Timbren bump stops. When empty I have the stock ride. When I tow our travel trailer ~ 6500# the Tibrens and a good WDH seem to work great. I’ve been towing with it for 7 years and it handles great.
Nice report.... I don't want to put words in your mouth but it sounds like you preferred the airbags by a small margin? Also, I've never had Timbrens but aren't they a bit more flexible than a true bump stop? My bump stops were removed and handed to me when my airbags were installed and they are pretty solid. From the pictures of Timbrens that I've seen they seem to have a bit flexibility.

The whole Timbrens v. Airbags is a tough choice. I've always gone bags but had one get a hole and need to be replaced and had another that would lose air slowly. Timbrens are pretty much maintenance/worry free. I can see the value/appeal of both.

BakedRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just upgraded to the Carlie Heavy Duty springs. So far, I love them. It gives me the feel of my truck back. I currently have a Decked Drawer system in the back and plan to add an RSI Smart Cap at some point. They say a static load of at least 500lbs. Should be good once I get my topper on.