New Coilovers with 6 Inch BDS lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you talking about going from 6" to 8" lift? You might need them at that point, @Nick@GotExhaust knows his stuff.
Nope, just talking about leveling it out. Been talking to nick a bit about it. Since I'm running the stock struts currently, there's a rake. Ideally if it won't ruin my clearance, I'd like to increase the front ride height 2 inches to level it out more and get rid of the rake. My understanding is that if I keep the stock ride height rake, I'll need non angle correcting UCAs, if I level it with the 2 inches from the coilovers, I'll need angle correcting.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nope, just talking about leveling it out. Been talking to nick a bit about it. Since I'm running the stock struts currently, there's a rake. Ideally if it won't ruin my clearance, I'd like to increase the front ride height 2 inches to level it out more and get rid of the rake. My understanding is that if I keep the stock ride height rake, I'll need non angle correcting UCAs, if I level it with the 2 inches from the coilovers, I'll need angle correcting.
I'll defer to Nick's experience on that, but my knowledge of levelling kits for stock vehicles is that anything over 2" is usually where the corrected UCA are recommended. You can always ask JBA about their stock geometry UCA and if it would work for a 2" lift.

I'm surprised that with a 6" kit with the front strut spacers that you would need to still go higher to level out. I almost wonder if the installer used the rear 5" kit when they only needed the 3" kit or something.

@JB1 I think used the BDS kit and might know better than me if there's a misconfig or why it feels like you need to go higher to level.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll defer to Nick's experience on that, but my knowledge of levelling kits for stock vehicles is that anything over 2" is usually where the corrected UCA are recommended. You can always ask JBA about their stock geometry UCA and if it would work for a 2" lift.

I'm surprised that with a 6" kit with the front strut spacers that you would need to still go higher to level out. I almost wonder if the installer used the rear 5" kit when they only needed the 3" kit or something.

@JB1 I think used the BDS kit and might know better than me if there's a misconfig or why it feels like you need to go higher to level.
Yeah, that's why I'm thinking I have the 5 inch rear coils. The back sits 2 inches higher. Unfortunately BDS told me I need to pull the shock and measure it to see which one I have. I'll have to do that this weekend.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, that's why I'm thinking I have the 5 inch rear coils. The back sits 2 inches higher. Unfortunately BDS told me I need to pull the shock and measure it to see which one I have. I'll have to do that this weekend.
I'm thinking that a coil swap and the new matching shock might be an easier task than a raise of the front, especially if you are worried about garage clearance.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Or forget all of this, call BDS and just order the correct front Fox 2.5 longer coilovers to remove the spacer, the 3" rear coils and matching Fox 2.0 shocks and call that a good upgrade.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Or forget all of this, call BDS and just order the correct front Fox 2.5 longer coilovers to remove the spacer, the 3" rear coils and matching Fox 2.0 shocks and call that a good upgrade.

While it may be easier. I'd like to keep as much height as possible lol. BDS doesn't offer the DSC for the longer struts, which is stupid.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
While it may be easier. I'd like to keep as much height as possible lol. BDS doesn't offer the DSC for the longer struts, which is stupid.
Fair enough. I figured for my next upgrade (Fox or King) I would likely never touch the adjusters once installed so I'd save the $300ish and get them tuned instead.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Fair enough. I figured for my next upgrade (Fox or King) I would likely never touch the adjusters once installed so I'd save the $300ish and get them tuned instead.
Likewise, fair enough lol. The extra $300 seems worth it to me. That way I can set it for the street and any offroading I may do is likely going to be spur of the moment, so the quick adjustability would be nice. Plus if I ever get rid of them for whatever reason, may be easier resale.

How much does the custom tuning run?

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Likewise, fair enough lol. The extra $300 seems worth it to me. That way I can set it for the street and any offroading I may do is likely going to be spur of the moment, so the quick adjustability would be nice. Plus if I ever get rid of them for whatever reason, may be easier resale.

How much does the custom tuning run?
I honestly don't know. I was looking at Thuren for King shocks and they come tuned from Thuren as part of the cost. Accutune does Kings and Fox shocks and I think includes tuning if you buy from them. You'd have to give them a call for pricing though for prebought stuff.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I honestly don't know. I was looking at Thuren for King shocks and they come tuned from Thuren as part of the cost. Accutune does Kings and Fox shocks and I think includes tuning if you buy from them. You'd have to give them a call for pricing though for prebought stuff.
Hmmmm, looks like accutune actually offers free tuning on the 2.5's, but they don't have the extended coilovers for the 6 inch lift on their site. I'd imagine they can get them. May be worth a call to them and find out.

Last edited:

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmmmm, looks like accutune actually offers free tuning on the 2.5's, but they don't have the extended coilovers for the 6 inch lift on their site. I'd imagine they can get them. May be worth a call to them and find out.
@ram1500rsm gets custom length Kings from Accutune so they can absolutely do Kings at least

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Accutune responded to my email. They can order the COs for the 6 inch lift from FOX but it's would likely be an 8 month lead time for them to get them from FOX. Lmao, that's unfortunate.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Accutune responded to my email. They can order the COs for the 6 inch lift from FOX but it's would likely be an 8 month lead time for them to get them from FOX. Lmao, that's unfortunate.
I bet it would be longer for Kings, unfortunately that's the way right now.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They told me $150 a CO to tune them, which isn't bad. Just waiting to hear how much shipping back to me would be.
Edit: $60 to have them shipped back to me. Not bad at all. Does having them tune fox 2.5s really make a big difference? Is it like the tuning jump? Oem to canned tune being a big difference and a custom tune over canned being a similar jump?

Last edited:

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They told me $150 a CO to tune them, which isn't bad. Just waiting to hear how much shipping back to me would be.
Edit: $60 to have them shipped back to me. Not bad at all. Does having them tune fox 2.5s really make a big difference? Is it like the tuning jump? Oem to canned tune being a big difference and a custom tune over canned being a similar jump?
@crazykid1994 and @ram1500rsm are the two I know offhand who have tuned 2.5s

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can request tuning on the softer side. I had mine done with weekend off-roading in mind so they are slightly stiff on the street but soften up on the highways and interstate. Should be great for fire roads and dirt roads to camp sites. I could have requested a full on road tune which will be soft for everything. Just remember the softer it is at slow speeds and small bumps will be really soft on higher speeds and bigger bumps. They can literally do anything you want though.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can request tuning on the softer side. I had mine done with weekend off-roading in mind so they are slightly stiff on the street but soften up on the highways and interstate. Should be great for fire roads and dirt roads to camp sites. I could have requested a full on road tune which will be soft for everything. Just remember the softer it is at slow speeds and small bumps will be really soft on higher speeds and bigger bumps. They can literally do anything you want though.
Their adventure tune sounded good. Smooth on the highway and over pothole filled gravel roads sounds great.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm thinking I may as well swap out the rest of the suspension components up front while I'm at it since I have 115k miles. Anyone have any parts recommendations? The TRQ kit below looks pretty cheap and I've never had a problem with TRQ. The kit includes UCAs, but I'll end up swapping those with aftermarket when I figure out if I'm going to lift 2 inches or not. Do oem sway bar links and outer tie rods work with the 6 inch BDS lift or are those special parts for use with the lift? May as well replace the CV axels as well. Anything else I'm missing?

Screenshot_20230113-000119_Chrome.jpg

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep, It's is longer, I'm running Fox 2.0 in my Jeep and wanted to get Kings 2.5 for it this past December and looked and looked without any luck. I knew from couple of years ago when i had the 2 custom set of Kings done for the RAM the business of performance shocks had gone from 4 to 8 weeks before Covid to 22-28 weeks after that...; but now days is 40-45 weeks, unless you find them in a warehouse somewhere with luck because the retailer ordered a few extra sets :) , and that seems to be the case for all manufacturers in that segment if the shock is not in stock anywhere.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
am3334