New Coilovers with 6 Inch BDS lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atreides

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, sweet. Sounds like I'm good. I probably need to contact fox and see what the preload specs are. These DSC knobs are crazy hard to adjust right out of the box. I worked them a bit and gotten them broken loose. Glad I checked that before they were on the truck lol.
@Quick_Shifter might know what they come set at out of the box. He knew exactly what my 2.0s came set to and how many turns to get exactly the right height I wanted.

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Core 4x4 front UCA and BDS fox 2.0 rear shocks ordered. Wanted to yet the parts in the door so I can swap everything out next week. I'd still be interested if anyone e has anyone knowledge as to the longer rear shocks working out. I can't imagine they wouldn't. If I wanted the 2.5s in rear with dsc 883-26-026 (31.59") or 883-26-024 (29.39") would be the only option. Looks like 024 should be the appropriate choice for 3 to 4 inch lift.

Looking forward to seeing before and afters.

Which color did you go with for the Cores?

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looking forward to seeing before and afters.

Which color did you go with for the Cores?
Had to go black with my color scheme lol. But I guess orange would have matched the fox Co's haha. I ended up going with the core because Spence assured me that the 6+ arms would be suitable al the way down to a 4" lift, which means I don't have to swap ucas if I waffle between current height and +2"

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, sweet. Sounds like I'm good. I probably need to contact fox and see what the preload specs are. These DSC knobs are crazy hard to adjust right out of the box. I worked them a bit and gotten them broken loose. Glad I checked that before they were on the truck lol.
Mine were stiff. I added a bit of lube on the high speed knob o ring to help it.

Hawaii_Built

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
I thought these came preloaded to add 2 inches of ride height. Is there really still that much space at the top?View attachment 511737
How long was the wait for you to get them? Did the vendor have them in stock? To my knowledge, the BDS coilovers don't come with the fancy adjusters you have and I'm sure it'd be a really nice to have feature.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had to go black with my color scheme lol. But I guess orange would have matched the fox Co's haha. I ended up going with the core because Spence assured me that the 6+ arms would be suitable al the way down to a 4" lift, which means I don't have to swap ucas if I waffle between current height and +2"
I've been thinking about this, and I'm still confused by the lift amount variations in the Core UCA. The 4" lift you have now and are converting uses stock geometry UCA since you have the extended spindle/knuckle so theoretically your lift amount should be 0-2 with the current spindles/knuckles you have right? I guess Core would know best for their products, but just not making sense to me to use a 6+ lift arm when your lift would be using stock UCAs.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How long was the wait for you to get them? Did the vendor have them in stock? To my knowledge, the BDS coilovers don't come with the fancy adjusters you have and I'm sure it'd be a really nice to have feature.
Took 3 days to get them. Vendor had them in stock for $200 less and got another $100 of with a coupon code. BDS technically did tell me to get the ones without the dsc as the ones with were "not an option". So I just went through someone else to get the dsc cheaper lol. Basically got the dsc for free.

I don't understand why BDS doesn't offer them with dsc

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been thinking about this, and I'm still confused by the lift amount variations in the Core UCA. The 4" lift you have now and are converting uses stock geometry UCA since you have the extended spindle/knuckle so theoretically your lift amount should be 0-2 with the current spindles/knuckles you have right? I guess Core would know best for their products, but just not making sense to me to use a 6+ lift arm when your lift would be using stock UCAs.
I have a 6" lift and will add 2" with the coilovers. They just told me that the 6+" ucas would be good even with 4" of lift since I asked if I would be good with 6" or 8" with the same set or if I'd have to by another set for the straight 6". Right now I have the oem Mopar struts with the 4" spacer.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 6" lift and will add 2" with the coilovers. They just told me that the 6+" ucas would be good even with 4" of lift since I asked if I would be good with 6" or 8" with the same set or if I'd have to by another set for the straight 6". Right now I have the oem Mopar struts with the 4" spacer.
Yeah Core should know, I'm just not tracking with the lift amounts as related to the longer knuckle geometry. I think you may be one of the first with the Core UCA here so I'm excited to see how they look.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You cannot use those coilovers with the 6” spacers. If your idea was to use the 6” spacer you would have needed to use the stock length version like I did. Your coilovers replace the spacer completely

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You cannot use those coilovers with the 6” spacers. If your idea was to use the 6” spacer you would have needed to use the stock length version like I did. Your coilovers replace the spacer completely
Yup, not using a spacer. I was referring to the overall lift

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yup, not using a spacer. I was referring to the overall lift
Gotcha. I misunderstood. Yea you’ll like it. I was originally skeptical about installing true a coilover on my truck because I never thought they’d make this much of a difference. I’ve been told the full length like you have make it even better for lifted trucks so honestly can’t wait for your review compared to your current setup

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Gotcha. I misunderstood. Yea you’ll like it. I was originally skeptical about installing true a coilover on my truck because I never thought they’d make this much of a difference. I’ve been told the full length like you have make it even better for lifted trucks so honestly can’t wait for your review compared to your current setup
I'll definitely let you know. I'm sure anything will be better than what I've got with almost 120k miles lol

Unfortunately I don't really have anything to make a good comparison to. When they need to be rebuilt I'll probably just get some bils for temporary and I'm curious to feel that difference.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone actually ordered the BDS tie rod ends? I received the ones in the first picture, which have no zerk fitting or way to grease them from what I can see. I expected the ones in the second picture. My current ends have a zerk fitting and don't quite look like that.

20230119_190546.jpg
Screenshot_20230119-190725_eBay.jpg

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You cant add 2” of lift with those units if you are already at 6” with the current spacers. Those are 4-6” units only, and you have to remove the current spacers. If you were hoping for a total of 8”, then you should have ordered the ones that are made for leveling and kept the spacers.

Also, with the amount of threads showing on them, i would guess that they are most likely preset to 6” of lift. But will probably never know for sure till you bolt it up and see.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You cant add 2” of lift with those units if you are already at 6” with the current spacers. Those are 4-6” units only, and you have to remove the current spacers. If you were hoping for a total of 8”, then you should have ordered the ones that are made for leveling and kept the spacers.

Also, with the amount of threads showing on them, i would guess that they are most likely preset to 6” of lift. But will probably never know for sure till you bolt it up and see.
The way I'm understanding it is that the coilovers are just like the ones that ride from stock height to plus". The difference being that these are 4 inches longer in total length, which means you remove the 4 inch lift spacer and they're essentially providing the same lift. So 0" being where I'm at now and the plus 2" lifting another overall 2 inch total. Otherwise, they'd actually be lowering below stock on adjustment?

I sent an email to both BDS and FOX about it so we will see what they say. If I need a 6" to 8", that's not something i see available. Worst case, if what you say is correct, would a 2 inch leveling puck work, or does that get sketchy at that height?

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
4-6” lift coilovers is exactly that. 4-6” lift. That’s what I was saying before. 6” max lift. Your lift is 6”. This can go to 6” but not recommended to go higher. Not up to 8”. The spacer in your 6” kit is 5”. Using a leveling strut with the spacer can get you to 7” or 8”

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Either way you look at it, trying to get 8” of lift out of a 4-6” drop kit is not ideal.

For some reason I thought you were currently around 4” up front and wanted to level it with the 5” rear kit.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4-6” lift coilovers is exactly that. 4-6” lift. That’s what I was saying before. 6” max lift. Your lift is 6”. This can go to 6” but not recommended to go higher. Not up to 8”. The spacer in your 6” kit is 5”. Using a leveling strut with the spacer can get you to 7” or 8”

Either way you look at it, trying to get 8” of lift out of a 4-6” drop kit is not ideal.

For some reason I thought you were currently around 4” up front and wanted to level it with the 5” rear kit.

Thanks for the info fellas. My original inent was not to level it. I just thought I could with what I bought, so I jacked the truck up 2 inches in the front and checked the clearance. Looks like I should have the clearance and I actually quite liked the look leveled out at that height. From what I was able to measure of the spacer, while on the truck, it looks like it is a little over 4 inches, but I suppose that could be deceiving and I won't know 100% until I take it off.

Since im not seeing anything frim fox for the rams at 6 to 8 inches, it sounds like I should order some 2 inch leveling spacers doe the front just in case. Any recommendations?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedFlameRam