New Cummins Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bramic71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello again. Sold my 2016 half-ton as we work on the road full-time across the country, and needed something to safely tow a camper to stay in while on the road. We purchased a 2022 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 with the 6.7. The truck now has right at 400 miles on it. I have had nothing but Hemi's for the last ten years. My last Cummins was my 2001 Dodge 2500 Quad-Cab 4x4. I always ran Valvoline Premium Blue 15w-40 in the truck.
What are the recommendations you guys have for engine oil, oil change intervals, mileage at first oil change, etc. Also, what brand oil filter are you running? Thank you for any info you can give.
Will be doing long tows about once a month, and short drives in between to job locations without the camper.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I let the dealer change it. I know, I know...
So far, the dealer near me has coupons for oil change for $109.
When you figure 12 qts of oil and a dealer filter, why do it yourself, at least as long as these deals are going.
If log into Ram/Mopar they usually have specials run on there too.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
On my 2016 Cummins, Premium Blue 15w-40 and Fleetguard Stratopore filter every 7500 miles. Fuel filter and water separator every other oil change (15,000 miles). Air filter (Mopar or Fleetguard) every other fuel filter change (30,000 miles).

OP
OP
Bramic71

Bramic71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I let the dealer change it. I know, I know...
So far, the dealer near me has coupons for oil change for $109.
When you figure 12 qts of oil and a dealer filter, why do it yourself, at least as long as these deals are going.
If log into Ram/Mopar they usually have specials run on there too.
Thank you for the suggestion.

OP
OP
Bramic71

Bramic71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On my 2016 Cummins, Premium Blue 15w-40 and Fleetguard Stratopore filter every 7500 miles. Fuel filter and water separator every other oil change (15,000 miles). Air filter (Mopar or Fleetguard) every other fuel filter change (30,000 miles).
Thank you for the suggestion. Same combination I used on my 24V. Sometimes I would use a Baldwin filter, but the Fleetgaurd seemed of higher quality.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Baldwin makes good quality filters as well. The Fleetguards are available on Amazon for $15 or so. I buy a 2 or 3 pack when I see a good price on them. My truck has 180,000 miles and running well. (knock on wood) With price of used trucks approaching new trucks and sometimes more than new trucks, I plan on keeping this one for a long time.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
15W40 is a no-go in the '19+ CGI engines with hydraulic lifters. There is a TSB saying so. The fill cap says 10W30, and the manual says 10W30 or 5W40 synthetic, which is what I have been running. I have been running Fleetguard Stratapore oil filters, but Donaldson Blue is another excellent choice, perhaps the best. Baldwin is another. For fuel filters, I have stuck to Mopar for both, since Fleetguard hasn't had the rear filter. Also running Mopar air filters. I'll be coming up on my 60K service pretty shortly.

On oils, honestly, the Cummins is not very fussy. I have run Rotella T6, Delo XSP, and Delvac 1 ESP, whatever I can get the best price and/or rebate on. Of those, I'd say it was quietest on Delo, and noisiest(splitting hairs, mind you)on Rotella. I'd have no issue running Premium Blue Extreme, too.