New Dexter brakes now check wiring message

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shiva

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just replaced my electric brakes with new brake plates and within a mile got error message-'check trailer brake wiring'
Then 'trailer brakes disconnected'.
All worked well with the old setup.
Pulled off the inline crimp wire connectors and rewired by twisting and taping strands.
Same problem.
2018 Ram factory tow package.
Has anyone else run across this?

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm sure you've done this but check all the wiring to make sure nothing was pinched. I've seen it where the wire was pinched and the conductors broke but the wire insulation wasn't damaged. That's hard to find. You'll have to feel for the break or get a non-contact 12v DC tester. Keep in mind most do not test for DC, they do AC only. Read the description carefully and make sure it does DC. Run the tester down the wire with power applied and when it stops beeping, there's your break.

Also don't rule out that something could be bad from the factory. That'll get you pulling your hair out, checking and double checking what you did only to find out the factory connections are bad.

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
With the brakes "failing" after driving I would suspect something with the brakes operational wise, either wiring or one of them hung up.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You need to take a test light or volt meter and check for power on the wires when the truck brakes are applied. Also need to verify the ground is good. Simply messing with older wiring (assuming it's older if you had to replace the brakes) could have disturbed it enough to loose power or ground. From my personal experience on working on trailer electronics most of the issues is grounding. A lot of trailers rely on the physical connection to the truck hitch for the overall ground, so if the hitch, hitch ball, or anything else is rusting you are not getting a good ground.

OP
OP
S

Shiva

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Because I have sporadic manual control I am thinking of checking the ground 2 ways before lifting the trailer and pulling off the wheels again.
- unhitched at the ball using an ohmmeter frame to frame with only the trailer 7 pin plug connected
- hitched at the ball testing frame to frame without the 7 pin connected.

Since this is the first time I have greased the ball with Lucas Red And Tacky grease during the same job as changing the brake assemblies good chance the hitch itself has been my primary ground.

I'll report back after these tests.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01