New Edge Pulsar Tuner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well for a while will leave it at 8 and sport minus 1. Can smoothly take off and still responsive throttle

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Wow. The throttle response in setting 8 is insane. It's a totally different animal. 1st and 2nd gear are crazy and if you don't ease in to the throttle it will literally jump. I tried stock and fuel economy modes, the latter felt pretty sluggish. What does the towing setting due? Does it hold the gear longer than necessary similar to the factory tow/haul mode? I will play with that on the way home. I don't notice the power addition as much as I thought I would after going about 30mph but my truck is bone stock. No doubt it needs a freer flowing intake and exhaust to gain the published 30hp. I got mine for $400 using an eBay coupon that recently expired. Pretty sweet!

As far as the PCM having to re-learn when you change modes that does not make sense to me since the computer signal is modified after leaving the PCM.

HDHNTER

US AIR FORCE VETERAN OEF - OIF
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
No doubt it needs a freer flowing intake and exhaust to gain the published 30hp.

The dyno run I linked earlier in the thread was on a new & bone stock 17. No additional mods needed to see the "near" 30/30 gain at the rear on level 8.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
As far as the PCM having to re-learn when you change modes that does not make sense to me since the computer signal is modified after leaving the PCM.

The PCM is still going to modify it's adaptive's over time like it would in the stock configuration. I found that after a couple hundred miles level 8 smoothed out some of it's "twitchy" behavior, but still pulls just as hard if not harder.

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Level 8 since last time on this thread and had pc in sport minus 3. Still waay jumpy off the line if I'm not paying attention so cut pc back to city plus 3. It will still jumo but much more controllable now.
This surging like its wanting to go into mds is really annoying at 30-50 steady cruising!!!

Mike77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Level 8 since last time on this thread and had pc in sport minus 3. Still waay jumpy off the line if I'm not paying attention so cut pc back to city plus 3. It will still jumo but much more controllable now.
This surging like its wanting to go into mds is really annoying at 30-50 steady cruising!!!
How long have you been experiencing the surging? I gave up on #8 for daily driving and went back to #6.

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How long have you been experiencing the surging? I gave up on #8 for daily driving and went back to #6.

Ya, i think im going to go back to 6 and kick up the pc.
The surging has been a while now. 3 or 4 weeks. Either it is sporadic or i dont notice it due to pressing on the skinny petal to let the hemi sing...lol
I notice it steady cruising, mostly on side streets but on freeway in 40-50 mph traffic it will do it too.

ncgrl1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 RAM LongHorn 4x4
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I'm glad some of you are starting to notice the surge other than Red Squirrel and myself. I love the concept of turning the MDS off and the 30 extra horsepower. I just find the surge to be totally unacceptable for a new product claiming to do this. It's as aggravating as the MDS is to start with.
I still have my Edge hoping they will come up with a fix. If not, I will send it back before the warranty expires.
If you are having the surge issue, please complain to Edge as this will be the only way to get them to fix it...

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow...seems like the company could just tweak the software. If the surging gets resolved, I may just need to get one!

TXCOMT

Vitae_Essence

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L 8 Speed
Wow...seems like the company could just tweak the software. If the surging gets resolved, I may just need to get one!

TXCOMT

The surging everyone is talking about is a def turn off for me with this for now; I agree with you. Real interested to keep seeing what people are experiencing and thank you everyone who has continued to give feed back.

Redsquirrel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The surging they say is limited to a "few" 2018s, mine is a late March 2017 build. I really wanted to like the product, but the surging was driving me nuts so I exchanged it for a "new" version, still having the same issue, less freqent but worse when it surged. Edge claimed they put my first returned in a test 2017 Rebel with no issues. Maybe I didnt let it relearn??? But Edge stated there should be no relearn process...

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Say what?? A few 2018s?? Mines a early 17 and same issue. I sent a email, waiting on a response from them. Surges/ trying to go into MDS at cruise speed. How can it relearn on output side of main computer?

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Say what?? A few 2018s?? Mines a early 17 and same issue. I sent a email, waiting on a response from them. Surges/ trying to go into MDS at cruise speed. How can it relearn on output side of main computer?

i called edge and talked to them about the quick shift in and out of MDS, and was told that they are only able to disable MDS by allowing it in and then kicking it out. Apparently, they aren't able to fully turn MDS off.

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, I guess that explains the surge then!!! Tha added oomph is nice but the constant surge i making me second guess my decision of purchase

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, I guess that explains the surge then!!! Tha added oomph is nice but the constant surge i making me second guess my decision of purchase

yeah i was a little perturbed by it in the beginning, pretty used to it now. i only notice it when im on long trips, so i just turn the radio up a little louder. so far, im still pretty pleased with the pulsar over all. just towed a trailer 75 miles to pick up two pergolas for the backyard, not my heaviest load but still was around 3500-4000lbs. pulsar in 6 and tow haul mode made for very confident acceleration and passing. reinforced my purchase pretty nicely

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Im in city and freeway traffic alot so it's noticeable when "slow cruising". I also use 6 and petal commander at sport minus 3. Lots of accelleration when needed. I love to make her sing, it's just annoying to hear it kind of trying to do something I'm not telling it to do..lol
I DO love it, just want to get Edge to do something about it if possible. If not, just have to power thru with the skinny petal

Redsquirrel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well if they find a solution to the surging I will reconsider buying another one, but until then I will hold off.

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well if they find a solution to the surging I will reconsider buying another one, but until then I will hold off.

they answered my question pretty quick with what i assume is the inability to fully delete MDS in an on-the-fly situation. I'd bet in a hard coded tune its no big deal, but shifting on the fly must be a different story. it doesn't really bother me much anymore now that i know it's not an issue with my truck/the tuner

Redsquirrel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had asked if that was the cause and they said they didnt know because they could not get it to happen to one of the test trucks. Well now we know for sure

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The dyno run I linked earlier in the thread was on a new & bone stock 17. No additional mods needed to see the "near" 30/30 gain at the rear on level 8.
Awesome, I found it. Impressive. I can't get traction in level 8 on wet roads so I am keeping it in level 6. Does anyone know what level 6 entails such as HP gains or towing specific changes? It doesn't hold the revs like Tow/Haul mode does which is good and the throttle response is better than stock but not as sensitive as level 8. 8 is awesome while driving but from a stop it's jumpy! Fun, but abrupt. Not good for heavy stop and go traffic, hah.