new guy eTorque input

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mohican69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar
Hello, I'm considering getting a Ram 1500 and am interested in knowing your experience for both V6 and Hemi, specifically gas mileage and reliability?

I have a hybrid SUV (no plug in), and its okay, but mileage drops some 4-6MPG during the Minnesota winter and it takes about 5 miles of driving before any real heat enters the cabin (since it insists on using battery).

I like the idea of the eTorque because of MPG and since this is likely my last vehicle, reducing gas costs over the long haul is important. That said, I am concerned about battery replacement costs.

The V6 dual turbo is intriguing, but that could be costly to maintain down the road as well.

Which leaves a plain jane Hemi and V6 in the mix which won't deliver the same MPG, but certainly will have lower maintenance costs in the long run. I had a 2018 Durango, V6 and it got good gas mileage, but was a bit under powered in my opinion.

I appreciate any insights and thanks.
Not sure what your towing needs are but I've had my Pentastar Ram for 5 years now and not a single problem all while getting between 20-22mpg. I use mine mostly for commuting and mainly highway driving. My daily mileage is 120 miles. I moved over to Ram after I had 2 Silverados with their awful cylinder cutoff ******** killed both motors. I wasn't interested in taking a chance on a 3rd one so I wasn't interested in the Hemi with their version of the same thing. I haven't regretted it one bit. This has been my favorite truck I've ever owned. It will be paid off in 2 months and I'll likely buy another. I have towed a small utility trailer with it and I had no issues. I'm sure the Hemi would have been better in traffic but I wasn't pushing it too high on the tach. If you tow more and more often you'll probably want the bigger motor.

JF19Longhorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ETorque
Check the cost to repair or replace the eTorque components and then make your decision. For my part I did this and decided against the eTorque engines. They may provide RAM with better CAFE numbers but as with unreliable ecodiesel engines they are expensive for the truck owners.
I believe the Etrq components are all covered under the 8yr Emissions warranty. So you have a bit of time & miles before you have to worry about em.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
Which leaves a plain jane Hemi and V6 in the mix which won't deliver the same MPG, but certainly will have lower maintenance costs in the long run. I had a 2018 Durango, V6 and it got good gas mileage, but was a bit under powered in my opinion.
If you found the V6 in the 2018 Durango a bit under powered that's only going to be worse in 1500.

sfljsfdkjs

Reaction score
reducing gas costs over the long haul is important.

I don't know what you have in mind as far as expectations on MPG, but whatever that number is, go pull up one of the many threads that exist on MPG for these trucks, and compare your expectation to what people are actually getting.

vic-hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi eTorgue
I have the 5-7 Hemi eTorque and it will not turn off if the AC is running. Since I live in Arizona, that is most of the time.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have the 5-7 Hemi eTorque and it will not turn off if the AC is running. Since I live in Arizona, that is most of the time.
Thankfully, the HVAC system has priority over the stop/start system. I lived in AZ in the early 80's, and drove a car with no AC. That was brutal, especially during monsoon season.

LonnieDS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi with eTorque
Newby here. My 2019 is an eTorque. My first stupid question is: how can you tell the eTorque is actually doing anything. Second is: how does the eTorque system lower tow rating. I didn't see that when I looked at RAM's tow ratings.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Newby here. My 2019 is an eTorque. My first stupid question is: how can you tell the eTorque is actually doing anything. Second is: how does the eTorque system lower tow rating. I didn't see that when I looked at RAM's tow ratings.
The most noticeable thing about etorque is stop/start. Some people notice the regenerative braking too. But other than those two things, I doubt you'd be able to notice anything else the etorque system does behind the scenes.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
I have a 2019 Ram V6 Crew Cab with 30,000 miles. Only problem I had was the Rollover Valve caused a problem pumping gas into the tank. It would stop after about a 1/4 gallon. Was fixed under warranty.

My MPG is 21.5 on the one trip I monitored from beginning to end. I made a point of running no faster than 75 MPH on all freeway. Maintaining mostly in 8th gear. Around home I average 18.5 MPG. I'm glad I bought the V6, especially now with the cost of Diesel (thank you Joe Brandon). Oh, and there's lots of power especially with the gears.
I just completed a 1300 mile trip in my 4x2 CC Hemi VVT (No e-torque) average mpg was 20.9 burning cheapest regular gas I could find. Had about 600lbs payload including my wife & I. I have a hard tonneau on the back (not convinced those really make a noticeable difference + or - in mpg but some do). Set the cruise at 77 for the interstates which was well over 90% of the miles. I’m happy with that.

S_Bedard

Reaction score
Engine
V6
5.7 hemi is available with or without eTorque assist system. Personally I don’t think it’s worth eTorque unless you do a lot of city driving. Slight towing rating increase with eTorque? One thing to know is eTorque comes with auto stop at traffic lights. In hot weather the A/C does not blow cold at all when the engine is stopped. Keep that in mind too.
In city driving, isn’t it good to stop the motor while not moving in hot weather ? Idle does produce heat for low power. Also doesn’t etorque helps smooth gear changes ?

S_Bedard

Reaction score
Engine
V6
No, towing capacity is decreased
How much decreased ?
In city driving, isn’t it good to stop the motor while not moving in hot weather ? Idle does produce heat for low power. Also doesn’t etorque helps smooth gear changes ?
Up to 10 % more mpg is optimistic but the help in gear ⚙️ changes while towing is worth some money . I also feel it is a learning process towards full electric ⚡️.

Wanted33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I just completed a 1300 mile trip in my 4x2 CC Hemi VVT (No e-torque) average mpg was 20.9 burning cheapest regular gas I could find. Had about 600lbs payload including my wife & I. I have a hard tonneau on the back (not convinced those really make a noticeable difference + or - in mpg but some do). Set the cruise at 77 for the interstates which was well over 90% of the miles. I’m happy with that.

I'll be as happy as if I had good sense if my incoming 5.7L will get those mpgs. I ordered mine without the e-torque, because I'm old and couldn't think of a good reason to add more technology (that I know nothing about) to a vehicle that has a ton of tech already. :)

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you are getting the 3.21 gears and not the 3.92 gears, your mileage should be similar at highway speeds.
2WD will help get better mpg vs. 4WD.

Juice17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2019 e tourque v-6. Highway driving can get me a bit over 500 miles to a full tank. I rarely use ac but I just shut off start/stop in heat if I need ac.

Wanted33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
If you are getting the 3.21 gears and not the 3.92 gears, your mileage should be similar at highway speeds.
2WD will help get better mpg vs. 4WD.

That's exactly what I ordered my friend. Living in the south we get very little snow to require a 4wd, and I don't tow enough to require the 3.92's. I'm a bit older now, and don't use a truck like I used to. But, once you own a truck you just can't do without one. :)

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
of course there is, the EcoDiesel no eTorque on this V6 ..LOL!
and it get better fuel economy too :D
U see the New 2022 FCA commercials, they R even stating the 2022 ED gets over a 1,000 miles on a tank of fuel. Of course, gotta be like a 33 gallon tank.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's exactly what I ordered my friend. Living in the south we get very little snow to require a 4wd, and I don't tow enough to require the 3.92's. I'm a bit older now, and don't use a truck like I used to. But, once you own a truck you just can't do without one. :)
Ain't dat the truth, but I do have a need for a truck, live rural, have a horse, so stuff needed there. I got rid of my ED because my towing needs greatly decreased but still needed the capability, why I got the non-E torque Hemi. I also have to have 4 X 4 because out in a field, and any dampness with a trailer attached, U can spin till the cows moo, lol. Getting around be tricky when things R wet, and then there was the one in a century (snow storm Feb 2021, where we had over 10 years of snow plus ice in one day, made me Very happy I had MY 19 RAM).

cow-friends.jpg

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
With the 8 speed trans, the 3.21's are a pretty decent gear even towing moderate loads.
I have the 3.92's and their real sweet spot as far as use is in the 40-55 mph range - 8th gear and not much above 1000 rpms at the low end. Closer to 2000 rpms at 74 mph.