New Guy from Colorado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brunnie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Still looking
I don't have a Ram yet but...
Planning a trip to Alaska and wanting a truck for a slide in camper. Decided that we (I) would prefer a Ram Power Wagon, although I'd settle for less, as we do want to go overlanding too. Thus I'm gathering info as to what to buy, what to avoid, what to look for, and what to be aware of.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Welcome.

Not to discourage you but I would seriously re-think a power wagon for your use case. It is a Really bad choice for a slide in do to the limited payload. It is going to sway all over the place, you will not be happy. Also keep in mind a PW has really poor range so be aware of where you are going and make sure you have fuel stations readily available.

You need to be looking at a 3500 with rear leaf springs for a slide in

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Brunnie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Still looking
Welcome.

Not to discourage you but I would seriously re-think a power wagon for your use case. It is a Really bad choice for a slide in do to the limited payload. It is going to sway all over the place, you will not be happy. Also keep in mind a PW has really poor range so be aware of where you are going and make sure you have fuel stations readily available.

You need to be looking at a 3500 with rear leaf springs for a slide in

The slide in we are considering weighs about 1900# and is a popup, not a full height camper. Thanks for the info though, this is exactly the type of information I was hoping to find. As for going off-road, the majority of roads/trails we do are not extreme or really that hard so the PW would be overkill really.

The search will continue with new parameters. :)

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The slide in we are considering weighs about 1900# and is a popup, not a full height camper. Thanks for the info though, this is exactly the type of information I was hoping to find. As for going off-road, the majority of roads/trails we do are not extreme or really that hard so the PW would be overkill really.

The search will continue with new parameters. :)

At 1900 + gear and passengers you are going to be way over your payload in a PW no doubt. It's an awesome off road truck don't get me wrong (I owned one) but it's just not built to be a overlander/cross country type truck.

If you can live without the front and rear locking differentials (sounds like you can) a regular 2500/3500 would be a better choice. I say 3500 because it has leaf springs set further out then the coil springs on a 2500 which gives you a little more stability with a slide in. Doesn't sound like you are dealing with a huge one or a high center of gravity so maybe the 2500 will be fine?

Last edited:

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Welcome! I came from the Jeep world and couple of things I learned. PLan out as best as you can for what you want the truck to be in the end. I bought a Willys and kep telling myself "oh I just need some better tires". Yeah, 15k later. New tires, oh i want bigger tires, so adapters, then no adapters and rims with proper offset. Bigger tires, re-gear(4.56), TrueTracs. Then abit of rubbing, so a lift. Had a lil clearance issue so flat fenders. Winch, so new bumper (and matching rear of course). Basically the only thing that was left of the $5000 Willys package was the 4x4 sticker on the rear gate. If I would have started off with a plain (cheap) stocker, I would have saved the $5k.

With the Ram, I have stuck to my guns of "Just tires, stock size" but I got a tradesman, just incase hahah

OP
OP
B

Brunnie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Still looking
Well.... Thanks guys for the insight. My background is an Xterra which is great for day trips and the kind of off roading we do, but not good for what we want to do like overnight "inexpensive" camping and long overland trips.

The big draw towards a PW was the front swaybar disconnect. Lockers are a plus but not a "must have" neither is the winch. So, I have a lead on a 2015 Tradesman CrewCab and will watch it as well as see what else is available. Maybe Santa will bring one to me for Christmas (yeah, right).

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome to the Ram Forum If you get the tradesman, get the 2500 with a 6.4 hemi and what part of Colorado, I lived on the front range Northern Colorado Loved it there!!!

OP
OP
B

Brunnie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Still looking
Welcome to the Ram Forum If you get the tradesman, get the 2500 with a 6.4 hemi and what part of Colorado, I lived on the front range Northern Colorado Loved it there!!!
The one I've got my eye on has the 6.4 hemi. I'm in the southern portion of the front range.