New Guy on the block (looking to buy used truck)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old Mopar Guy

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hi!
Wife and I are looking for a used truck for our Arizona home.
I haven't owned a full size pickup in years.
We have visited Phoenix as few times and we are having a new home built there as a second home.
I know that we will need a full-size truck. We've rented trucks while there and I truly loved the RAM we rented verses the others.
Looking for a recommendation on what model "used" RAM and year to buy. 4WD is not really needed.
We would love "four doors" and the short bed. And not a entry level stripped down version. Something a step above and not outlandish.
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. And what to look for as far as possible "reflags" on servicing and maintaining.
Is the V6 enough or is the V8 that much better or more reliable?

Thanks, Erik

sgtjeep

Reaction score
I just bought a used 2021 Laramie 4x4 1500 short bed, w/ 5.7L eTorque (last Saturday). Was originally purchased in Dec 2021 and had 3,700 miles on it. Sport edition, with 12" screen, leather and loaded (no sunroof). Prolly saved close to $3,000 buying used. Carmax for the win!

Tinted the front windows w/ a windshield strip, BedRug, and rear underseat DuHa storage bin already bought and installed. Xceed bed cover, rear wheel liners and Go Rhino side steps coming in (freaking backorder).

I got it on a Saturday and debadged it all. Bought the 'eraser wheel' off of amazon and took off all the chrome badges. Waiting on the subdued US Flag emblem to replace the Ram head on the tailgate.

HyperDippin' the the chrome 20's rn, just letting the last wheel dry before I pull it out of the garage and admire. (I also hyperdipped the rear well liners just bc I could. :)

I looked for over 2 months. Pretty much knew I wanted a Ram and nothing else. Liked the Tundra, but hated the '21 interior and was not going to wait for the '22's to come out. Test drove F-150's, Tundra's and didn't even think about GMC/Chevy. Ram was it.

This Laramie is a luxury truck in every sense of the word. Quiet as hell on the highway, even when I hit the rev limiter last night at 107mph. Takes potholes and bumps better than wife's Lexus and roomy as hell. It's a beast and it will take me a minute to learn/feel comfortable parking it and backing it up. Pretty big truck (coming from a 2007 Durango). No 'regerts' at all!

Can't speak on the V6 and I plan on doing all general maintenance. The Durango had the 5.7L Hemi and I wasn't going to get anything smaller. Don't care about gas mileage (FJB!)

My 'wish list' was 4x4, 5.7L, 12" screen, remote start, auto high beams and auto-wipers. Laramie answered that. Did not look at Limited or any other model.

Good luck

OP
OP
Old Mopar Guy

Old Mopar Guy

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Nice find!
Thanks for the feedback sgtjeep.

What did you pay for it?

Keep it coming!

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Though today's used vehicle market is crazy there are still vehicles available at decent, though elevated, pricing.

In your case I suspect that a late 4th generation/early 5th generation crew cab short box Big Horn, Sport or Rebel would fit your needs. They have some nice options but they don't have all the options you would find on a Laramie. I'd write down what options I find most useful and go from there. Most crew cab short box trucks will come equipped with 4x4 down here in Arizona but that's not a bad thing if you want to do a little off-roading in the area. There are some cool areas to check out near the Phoenix metro area that a full sized pickup can navigate easily.

If you plan on towing or hauling light loads the V6 is more than sufficient. A diesel V6 might be a bit better due to its higher torque rating. The V8 5.7L HEMI is a good engine and would serve you well. MPG is a function of how you drive. I would expect the V6, gas or diesel, to do a bit better compared to the HEMI.

Good luck with your truck search.

OP
OP
Old Mopar Guy

Old Mopar Guy

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Thanks!!!

Any great dealers you could recommend near Phoenix?
Our new home is in Maricopa.

kayjo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Market is tighter than usual. But still plenty of trucks out there. probably less 2wd available, but they are at a better price point because of less demand. and generally quite a bit less expensive to begin with. As for year to buy. Depends on your budget. But you will get more for your money the newer you go. So my point is a good 2015 is still 30 and 2019 high 30s - low 40s equipped well. basically after the first 30 you can get a lot more or newer truck for another 8-12k. 2wds go about 4k less than equivalent 4wd and 6 cyl, also doesn't demand as much as the hemi. You really need to decide whether you are chasing a DT (new) or DS(4gen) model. The DT are lighter, ride better, and have much more room in interior. Just better interior layout as well., they also have better sound deadening. But the classics are so good, Ram held them over. Don't discount them, people love them. including myself though , i pulled for the DT because of interior. I actually like the classic better in over-all style - and ride feel, just feel right to me.

Regarding the red flags. That is hard to say as the truck has better than average reliability and lower than average repair costs and lower than average critical urgent service issues. Whether the 6 cyl or 5.7 is more durable is up for debate. Both are strong but not free of issues. the 5.7 is definitely much more popular. I wouldnt let gas mileage be the deciding factor, I think use would be. if lots of heavy towing look at the diesel. As far as years, 2018 is a good year. and 2014 below par. lots of issues with the 2019 DT in recalls for some of the models. Mostly minor issues. ( again first of a new model year. ) recalls are generally for safety issues. things that cause fire, or failure while driving but may just simply a loose ground wire ( which was a recall for the steering )

regarding how much equipment, there were lots of packages, but to say what is base is really subjective. There is an express model that is sort of like a value model but not base by any means. it would have some of the things people wanted most like larger wheels. Tradesman could be considered base or work truck, but I have seem some pretty well equipped as well. The sport gets you into leather is most cases, but not all and a lot with sunroofs. Bighorn though sounds like some generous package, can really be pretty basic, or it can have some decent options. Laramie starts to get you to better equipment and interior comforts and fancier trim and styling outside. Headlamps etc. Since you are not into the lavish stuff, skip the longhorn and limited. ( don't dare look at these, because this is where Ram excels making a truck into a luxury automobile ) Things you should want, dual exhaust, larger rims ( unless you have reason for softer side wall tires ) touch screen infotainment. premium EVIC. heated seats. then you can get into really useful stuff like towing packages ( if needed ) The 360 surround view ( if towing or just great for parking etc ) accident avoidance stuff. etc.

Anyhow , just things to consider and think about. I went through this a few months back. It didn't take me long to know what I wanted, it took me much longer to find what I needed.

Southern Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome. I have a 2019 big horn crew cab short box with the 5.7 hemi and it’s been fine so far. The engine has plenty of power. I don’t tow anything but if I ever need to, I’m sure it will be fine. Good luck with your search.

kayjo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
DT is the 5gen newer style trucks. The DS is the classic style. They did not discontinue the classic previous truck due to popularity when they introduced the newer one. It should say something about the 4 gen trucks. But it also saves and makes more money for the manufacturer to get further use out previous tooling etc. generally when this has been done the past. It was to offer a pared down cheaper version or basic entry vehicle. I can remember Jeep doing this with the cherokees in the 90s. I think though ram has a good new truck, it was hard to let go of something that was so successful. Ram hedged their bet. And it seems to be successful.

OP
OP
Old Mopar Guy

Old Mopar Guy

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What vehicles offer Leather interior?

And what is "too much" mileage for a 2017-2018 model?

And the 5th generation began in 2018? Is that correct?

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What vehicles offer Leather interior?

And what is "too much" mileage for a 2017-2018 model?

And the 5th generation began in 2018? Is that correct?
DT, 5th GEN 2019. There were early builds released in 2018, but 2019 R 5th Gen unless a DS Classic.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is this a good deal?
What questions should i ask?

Doesn't look bad, mileage OK, price would be high but market so over-inflated. Also, is a 2 WD drive. Decent options. U need to have a Mechanic if possible look at it, see how much MX been done and timely, etc. But not look bad. But this is just Internet Guessnosis. I looked, the 2020 RWD Bighorns 42K and up in middle of TX. Again, U have to check it out and have it checked and insure all good, no accidents etc. U gotta go see and see.

Make sure you get the rest of Warranty, remember, 3 yr/or 36,000 basic warranty. See what they offer also. Also new oil change be a must also.

Here is the build sheet on that truck. Others need to LOOK and chime in.

FWIW, I would not wait too long, that truck may not stay there long, lots of PPL looking. So U have to look and decide. BUT DO NOT TAKE MY WORD FOR IT, Your Decision.

Attachments

• 2020 truck BuildSheetServlet.pdf
    9.4 KB · Views: 2

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Is this a good deal?
What questions should i ask?

Curious why used?

The one posted, has 26k or 28k miles? which is close to 36K Miles warranty
For 2022 for basically exactly same one is around $45K vs $39K for used.
Currently Ram has zero percent finance for Big Horn.

OP
OP
Old Mopar Guy

Old Mopar Guy

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have several vehicles. This is for our second part-time home in Arizona.
I have $35K cash to spend. I need a truck because the wife is buying furniture and I need the truck for this. We are renting trucks while here and I'd rather have our own.
I don't want a payment as I am semi-retired (second time, first was USAF for 20yrs) and don't want more bills.
My intent is to find a one owner, lowest miles, maintenance history with no accidents. I see Dodge Rams all over Arizona and Washington State. I know that they have a great rep and resale as well.
I just don't have a local friend that owns one that I can rely on.

Sorry, I'm in love with these trucks, I just don't know all the specifics and doing research on them is a bit overwhelming!
I appreciate everyones input.

Erik