new here - 4.7 2008 2wd, general advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

waterlogged05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Howdy all, had this 2008 4.7 from about 125k miles and approaching 180k miles now. Got it in 2014
Only have done routine maintenance besides a new A/C compressor at 175k.

4.7 still runs like a champ and that 08 slight rework seems to have given it some longevity and powah
it does have a slightly rough, or bouncy idle but it is consistent and has been that way since I've owned it.

Transmission still hunts for gears in the lower gears which drives me crazy sometimes, and occasionally takes a second to get into D after R

My main complaints are the usual,
suspension is rough like a skateboard on hard wheels, I am running the next gen 20s which is probably my main culprit
other suspension gripes as follows

clanks really loud over the slightest bump
squeaks embarrassingly loud
I know the bushings, and some of this front end will need servicing soon based on common complaints I see.

Steering was decent to starting to decline.

Any general advice or recommendations? Thanks All!
--Doug

OP
OP
W

waterlogged05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
how much of a pain is it to change the bushings out. This thing is squeaking like a rusty door hinge

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Might want to spray some wd or pb blaster on one thing at a time to identify what is making the noise . I had ball joints that squeaked a lot , my bushings were fine.

OP
OP
W

waterlogged05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
thanks Daw14! could be the ball joint, are there any major tells that the ball joint is going downhill, steering wise?

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Mine did not reveal anything that I noticed other then the ear piercing squeak. When I soaked it with pb it would stop making noise for about a week .

OP
OP
W

waterlogged05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ball joints and tie rods are toast, thanks for the help!
Replacing this week.

My truck has a ton of rake with the rear super high, I don't want to level it, can I drop the rear slightly without too much work?

WolfeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
02 1500 4.7 quad i have same suspension issues with loud creaking and squeaking, i have a 4" lift. also have rear differential issues some type of really loud bad bearing sound gets louder faster you go. steering is really loose too. i got a good deal on it and bought it like this, but definitely will need a work fixing a few of these common issues. oh and front pads and rotors need replaced shakes like a massage chair anytime braking.

engine sounds good and idles perfect, so at least the super expensive stuff seems like in good condition. but i'll probably have to drop $2k-$3k to get it running like new again.