New here, new to trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andremedeiros

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 w/ eTorque
Hello friends!

Trucks have been something that has interested me for years, but it wasn't until I saw the 1500 Limited (2019 model) that I pulled the trigger.

As such, this is my first foray into the truck world, and I couldn't be more excited (my truck gets shipped in 10 days!)

I'm wondering -- if you could go back to the day you bought your first truck, what would you tell yourself? What was the biggest lesson you've learned about truck ownership so far?

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
:party36::welcome: My first real thought was, how did I make it this far without a truck. I haven't owned anything other than trucks, and Harley-Davidsons since 1982.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just said 'Merica. Then everyone around me starting chanting " 'Merica ". Then everyone sort of broke out into song and dance. I knew then what I had been missing.

OP
OP
andremedeiros

andremedeiros

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 w/ eTorque
Welcome to the forum. Post up some pics when you get a chance. The only thing I would have told myself when I bought this truck was to hold out for a different color but I got a good deal and its too late now.

Will do! As you might imagine I’m over the moon. It ships on the 15th so I’m already counting the hours ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Welcome. This is my first truck as well, I would say get ready to spend a lot more on gas!!!

Oh, and order the Pedal Commander now, they are still on sale...

OP
OP
andremedeiros

andremedeiros

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 w/ eTorque
Welcome. This is my first truck as well, I would say get ready to spend a lot more on gas!!!

I’ve read about it and thought about getting it, but I have to ask: does it need to be hooked up 100% of the time? I’d hate having it out on my nice truck :-(

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I've owned trucks on and off throughout the years, but mostly off.

I think that, almost a month after buying my current Ram, I have only one thought: "Why in the hell didn't I do this sooner!?"

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6

1) I've heard about this thing... what the heck does it do?

2) I do get decent mileage (though I'm only packing a V6, much like my previous vehicles, so...)

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve read about it and thought about getting it, but I have to ask: does it need to be hooked up 100% of the time? I’d hate having it out on my nice truck :-(

It doesn't have to be out where it can be seen if you don't want it to. It basically plugs into your gas peddle and it can be zip ******* under there out of the way and nobody will know its there but you.

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I plugged Pedal Commander in and routed it along under the console lip and then into the map pocket. I did wrap it in an old bandana to make sure it doesn't rattle. 100% out of sight.

Although it will not make your truck faster it will feel like your Hemi drank a few espressos depending on how it is set.

OP
OP
andremedeiros

andremedeiros

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 w/ eTorque
Thank you so much for the tips and the generally welcoming attitude!

Sounds like I’ll be ordering a PD today ;-)

xFURIOUSJONESx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
First off, congrats on the purchase! I’m new to the pickup world myself. I just got mine a few days ago so I’m right there with you on the excitement. Right before this 1500 I owned an 04 GMC envoy. I’m super happy I ended up with this pickup though. Throughout the years even with my Envoy I always found a pickup would have made things a lot easier. When my envoy reached almost 200k miles I told myself, “it’s time”. I’m loving the smaller cabin compared to the Envoy- ac cools things off so much faster out here in the heat where I’m from. A lot of the standard features are upgrades to me, and I just know this truck is going to make things a bit easier for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
andremedeiros

andremedeiros

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 w/ eTorque
First off, congrats on the purchase! I’m new to the pickup world myself. I just got mine a few days ago so I’m right there with you on the excitement. Right before this 1500 I owned an 04 GMC envoy. I’m super happy I ended up with this pickup though. Throughout the years even with my Envoy I always found a pickup would have made things a lot easier. When my envoy reached almost 200k miles I told myself, “it’s time”. I’m loving the smaller cabin compared to the Envoy- ac cools things off so much faster out here in the heat where I’m from. A lot of the standard features are upgrades to me, and I just know this truck is going to make things a bit easier for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hah welcome! Did you get a Limited too? Do you have it already or did you special order it?

LCACER

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello friends!

Trucks have been something that has interested me for years, but it wasn't until I saw the 1500 Limited (2019 model) that I pulled the trigger.

As such, this is my first foray into the truck world, and I couldn't be more excited (my truck gets shipped in 10 days!)

I'm wondering -- if you could go back to the day you bought your first truck, what would you tell yourself? What was the biggest lesson you've learned about truck ownership so far?

I got my first truck in 1992?? an '88 S-10 with the 4.3L V-6. Loved it!! Joined the Navy, got a car for the first few years in, then in 2000 is when I joined the Ram Family with my 2001 1500 with the Off Road package. Put almost 120,000 miles on that sold that in 2015. In 2010 I bought a 2010 Ram 1500 Laramie, put almost 110,000 miles on that, then traded that in on my current 2018 Ram Limited!