New limited owner, help me understand the options I got

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sms limited

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi ETorque
Hi everyone, I picked up a Ram 1500 limited that was available at the dealer as a special build for someone that backed out of buying it. It has some options that are not standard options on other ones I was looking at and I don’t really know what they are for, or why they are important and what to do with these options. Any advice would be nice.

The options I am referring to is the 3.92 rear axle gearing, the e-locking axle and the E-torque engine.

Thanks

CEC09E74-0DCA-4CD3-B766-08EEE7BCC975.jpeg

Last edited:

TMyers

USMC 84' - 92'
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
The E-Locker rear end is an Electric locking differential for "On Demand" positive traction. Limited Slip will spin a single wheel first then grab the second axle for positive traction.

The 3.92 rear gear is low for torque.

It looks like someone was building a truck for towing and maybe on rougher terrain (e-Lock)… Maybe a camper???

therethere

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The eTorque is the new mild hybrid system available that replaces the alternator with a battery and gives more low end torque (but does not change peak torque) and slightly improves mpg.

The shorter rear gear (higher axle ratio) gives more torque to the rear wheels, which is better for towing and off the line performance but slightly decreases mpg, especially on highway, as the engine has to work harder (higher rpms) to maintain speed versus a taller (lower axle ratio) gearing.

Jay Carr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
basically what I want minus the e-torque haha - if you don't know what the locker and higher gearing could be used for maybe tell them to come down on the price then since those aren't necessarily things you wanted? Worth a shot. They're just trying to sell a car that was ordered and is now stuck in their inventory after all.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I didn't think they had lane departure warning with the trailer tow mirrors.

Max Limited

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the tow mirrors and lane departure system. Works well. I turned it on and took my hands off of the steering wheel. It kept me between the lines but I looked like a drunk driver and my truck slowly drifted from line to line.

OP
OP
Sms limited

Sms limited

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi ETorque
basically what I want minus the e-torque haha - if you don't know what the locker and higher gearing could be used for maybe tell them to come down on the price then since those aren't necessarily things you wanted? Worth a shot. They're just trying to sell a car that was ordered and is now stuck in their inventory after all.
Oh I already bought the truck when I was there, I just really liked it, I actually went in to pick up a pro master van and liked that truck and got it too

06895582-A745-4442-B346-4D18CA152DA8.jpeg

Last edited:

slacadjuster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hi everyone, I picked up a Ram 1500 limited that was available at the dealer as a special build for someone that backed out of buying it. It has some options that are not standard options on other ones I was looking at and I don’t really know what they are for, or why they are important and what to do with these options. Any advice would be nice.

The options I am referring to is the 3.92 rear axle gearing, the e-locking axle and the E-torque engine.

Thanks

View attachment 137319

slacadjuster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
OP
OP
Sms limited

Sms limited

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi ETorque
Wow, really?? That would be questions I'd ask at the dealership where I bought it, not from people on a forum

Yea I probably should have but I wasn’t looking for a truck and I haven’t towed anything or off roaded seriously. I just bought the truck after checking it out and liking it. I didn’t really notice these options were anything special until I was reachearching the truck after I already owned it. The dealership isn’t really that close so I am asking the forum and besides I always get more info from forums than salesman for all the vehicles I own.

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Agreed. Whether it be motorcycles or cars it seems the consumers know more about the products than the sales people.

The internet is a wonderful resource.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

warv3t

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Beautiful truck! Absolutely beautiful. I do want to add..........my best friend is a salesman at Town and Country Ford in Alabama. He said .........'man we can't stand buyers like you and we love ones who just come in ready to buy anything without doing any research'

I think you got extremely lucky with this purchase man! It's a beautiful package...........it just scares me to see consumers buy without doing research. I had a salesman tell me the only difference between the Longhorn and Limited were the 22" rims. By the time I ordered my truck, I had a folder full of print outs, pics, research. But I admit, I'm ****!! lol

I have a neighbor with a Limited and he is absolutely pissed. He bought off the lot with tow mirrors. I can't believe he didn't realize he didn't have 360 camera until he got home in MY driveway. There was earlier confusion amongst those of us who ordered............but, to actually sit in it and not know....

phlram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Beautiful truck! Do you mind sharing what kind of deal did you get? I am also on the market and looking at the RAM Limited.

thesasquatch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just to clarify about the eTorque gents..

eTorque has NOTHING to do with pulling power! As a matter of fact, the eTorque is rated 200lbs LESS for towing!! The eTorque system is a 48v electric motor which replaces the alternator on the truck FOR THE MERE PURPOSE OF RUNNING THE AUTO START / STOP system! This is a huge misconception people have. Granted-- reviews thus far (and from owners) states that it does make the truck feel extremely seamless during stop and go driving etc. From the marketing I've been seeing since it was unveiled, I have a feeling that FCA is ok with potential buyers not understanding this as they know it just helps drive sales when people think it means "more torque". It says in the specs that the eTorque electric motor provides "130ftlb of torque" but this torque is NOT an addition to the engine-- it's ONLY to assist with their new start / stop system to allow the engine to start moving from the time the engine restarts from when the auto start / stop is activated (at a stop light etc).

Also, is it just me or has anyone else noticed that the trailer / tow mirrors are on about 80% or more of the dealer-ordered trucks on the lot? They're very much in the educated-dark on what consumers want. I'm not saying there aren't a lot of people out there who want the tow mirrors. But the smaller power mirrors are just better. I've had them on (2) Rams in the past 5 years and have towed large trailers often and they work great.. and I'm still able to power-fold them when backing into a boat shop or garage and I can have 360* cameras. Dealers are doing a huge disservice to the consumer by continuing to order most of the trucks with trailer mirrors.

-J

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Just to clarify about the eTorque gents..

eTorque has NOTHING to do with pulling power! As a matter of fact, the eTorque is rated 200lbs LESS for towing!! The eTorque system is a 48v electric motor which replaces the alternator on the truck FOR THE MERE PURPOSE OF RUNNING THE AUTO START / STOP system!

I don't believe it's JUST for the start/stop feature. My understanding is that, while it does not increase towing CAPACITY, it does broaden the torque curve by adding torque up to about 1500 RPM, which is when the gas engine has the least amount of torque available. It is purported to be a great asset when you are starting on a hill, or pulling your boat out of the water.

No doubt the reason the total towing capacity is lowered is because of the additional weight of the system.