New Locking fuel caps - Geno's Garage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
I was reading somewhere that all or most of the new type of tank necks are similar.
A fella has a truck ( no idea what) and he posted a pic of his fuel neck with a 2 1/2 pvc cap over it! Fits perfectly securely with the fuel door closed. No good for theft but definitely suitable to keep out water and other undesirable things!
Cheaper than the cap from Geno we can’t get now?

geomojo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So evidently the cap was defective and that's why the product page was pulled (kind of interesting). Here's what they said after I contact them...

Thank you for your email. Yes, we have determined there was a manufacturer's defect that must be
addressed. Attached is a prepaid FedEx return label to get that cap back to us. Once
we have it back, we will refund your original payment.

Not sure why they want the defective one back. Seems like a "toss in the trash" thing, but I'll send it back for the $75.

bluebeast1562

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have been running the Geno's cap for at least a year and a half, I have had no problems with it, fit and finish is spot on. Granted, due to the design of the filler neck from Ram, I doubt that stealing gas is an issue but putting fine granule stuff in sugar, sand, salt would defiantly be a concern. Still a little peace of mind goes a long way.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had mine for 2 yrs. now, there's a little trick to getting it on you have to start on the bottom facing you, i slide a little Vaseline on the rubber dust shield, also make sure you have the black slider loose enough that the locking bolt holds in place, and it slides right on, and you tighten the locking bolt.

geomojo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the advice on the vasolene, but Geno's has already "determined there was a manufacturer's defect" (for the 2022 version that I bought). The problem isn't getting the catching edge to slide under the lip, the issue is the sliding mechanism does not slide far enough to make the cap fit snugly (so it can just rattle off). I see you have a 2019 model. Mine is a 2022 model, which uses a different product (no longer listed on the website since it was pulled die to being defective). Hopefully they come out with a new design that works for the 2022 model. Sounds like the version for the 2019 model works good for you.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Just go with a locking fuel door
no fussing after it is installed

The only issue i have is that water gets into the plastic cups that Ram put on the diesel fill tube

1644131397947.png

It may be from me using a power washer on the truck, just to blow the dirt off quickly, when i don't have time to go to the car wash

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I looked at all their caps, and didn't see one for the 3500 Diesel, except for cab & Chassis. https://www.genosgarage.com/category/fuel-caps
It should be this one:
DEF cap: https://www.genosgarage.com/product/ram-cummins-locking-def-cap-gg-ez45gdef/fuel-caps

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I was reading somewhere that all or most of the new type of tank necks are similar.
A fella has a truck ( no idea what) and he posted a pic of his fuel neck with a 2 1/2 pvc cap over it! Fits perfectly securely with the fuel door closed. No good for theft but definitely suitable to keep out water and other undesirable things!
Cheaper than the cap from Geno we can’t get now?
Could have been me. Fuel Cap-1.jpg
Fuel Cap-2.jpg

Have since installed a locking door

ColesRAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
Geno’s locking gas cap for the RAM 2019-20 are on back order, due in by 7/31/22. I just placed my order for one. Pricey but it’s not plastic, so should be durable. Also by design, it shouldn’t get stuck. The $12-$15 ones on amazon have a reported 10-20% fail rate , with the primary one being getting stuck on the filler tube. Really don’t need that aggravation. I do feel more comfortable with some sort of fuel filler lock out. Others may not, but its a feature I want.

Last edited:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I picked up my truck this past January and the sales manager at the dealership offered me a locking gas cap from his collection after I mentioned my preference. He had a few of them in a drawer.

I just assumed they were a Mopar part.

Screenshot d 2022-07-22 173016.jpg

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I picked up my truck this past January and the sales manager at the dealership offered me a locking gas cap from his collection after I mentioned my preference. He had a few of them in a drawer.

I just assumed they were a Mopar part.

View attachment 498501
A locking cap does not stop gas theft, it just keeps people from pouring liquids into your gas, now days if they want your gas they just drill a hole in the tank an let it drain into bucket/pails much easier & faster then syphoning it...

KoboldTaco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
A locking cap does not stop gas theft, it just keeps people from pouring liquids into your gas, now days if they want your gas they just drill a hole in the tank an let it drain into bucket/pails much easier & faster then syphoning it...
Agreed - I’m not worried about the theft but some stupid kid or vandal dumping **** in the tank.

I had a friend catch a guy taking a leak in his DEF tank - the pranksters thought it was funny since it is ‘urea’ :(

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check.

I was adding to the thread about where I obtained my locking gas cap and that I thought it was a Mopar part, that's all.

My preference is to have it locked regardless.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Agreed - I’m not worried about the theft but some stupid kid or vandal dumping **** in the tank.

I had a friend catch a guy taking a leak in his DEF tank - the pranksters thought it was funny since it is ‘urea’ :(
Pranksters is why I bought these caps from Genos to keep stuff out of my tanks and it took a long time to get them, now I can only hope vandals don't somehow get a spare key for these caps...

Attachments

• Diesel Cap.jpg
    Diesel Cap.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 6
  • DEF Cap.jpg
    DEF Cap.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 6

KoboldTaco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
I have had mine on order for a month. They were quoting October for me :(

ColesRAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
31 July is what they are saying for the 2019/20 Laramie. Fingers crossed……