New Member...looking for a new truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AirMech74

Military
Reaction score
Just came across this forum, thought I'd join...I currently own a 2014 Toyota Tacoma and i'm looking to upgrade to a full-size truck...so i'm here to do my research...Last time I owned a Ram..or, a Dodge was a 97 Dodge Dakota Sport, bought it brand new after getting out of the service....traded it off in 2004 for a new Tacoma SR5 TSS....now in the mentioned 2nd Gen Tacoma. I'm considering a 2022 Tundra, GMC Sierra AT4 or a Ram Rebel. Hoping to learn as much as I can about the Rams...the pros and Cons

Last edited:

Dan Topp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome to the forum from Jefferson.I looked at all of them but the lack of a simple 8’ 2 door steered me to the ram 1500 4x4 tradesman6DE07325-74AE-4B81-82E9-9D54701BEE8C.jpeg54754923-3FB1-4D7C-8998-B79BD4DE2DC7.jpeg

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One man's opinion: I was looking at new trucks a year or so ago. Everything I read about the Tundra was pretty positive except that it "rode rough". Ok, don't need that. The Titan is just ugly to me so that was out. I drove the F150 and Chevy 1500.

I liked the Ford a lot, and the Ecoboost 2.7 I tested was really nice. One thing I've found in the F150 for the last couple gen's is that the seats kinda suck for me. They're OK at best and I'm sure I'd be "alright" in day-to-day usage, but I'm concerned about longer trips.

The Chevy 1500 - the V6 is "ok", but not great and gets about the same mpg as my Hemi. The V8 seems powerful enough but gets worse mpg than the Hemi. The interior was comfortable enough, but felt a little ...cheap I guess is the word.

So far, Ram has the best combination for me. The wife has some back issues and needs a comfortable ride and good seats. She loves the truck more than her car for long trips. I put in Amp power steps so she can get in easily.

I'd love to able to find a later model V6 Ram for better mpgs, but mine's paid for so it's hard to argue the extra gas vs a truck payment.

My truck is an '09 Hemi with the older 5spd trans and 3.55 unlimited slip differential. Essentially stock, the Pedal Commander doesn't add any power, just pedal response. I can get 20mpg on flat highway running about 65-70mph and the wife can crochet or sleep in the passenger seat with no issues. At 160+k, it still starts well with no major issues, but I bought it used with 118k on it. I did a full fluid change when I got it and regular maintenance since then.

Does that help?