New member with an air suspension issue-considering cutting my losses

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Logjammin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi...new member here with an air suspension issue I could use help with. Background: live in MN (southwest burbs of Minneapolis). 2017 Ram 1500 Limited with 146K miles. 6th or 7th Dodge/Ram (forget how many I've owned since 1996). I do pretty much all my own maintenance except for stuff "out of my league" like air suspension issues. Anyway, I started having issues late summer but they seemed intermittent until October when during a 5 hour drive, I had a fairly rapid deflation of the passenger side rear. I had about 2 hours to go and a very brief message appeared about immediate suspension service...blah, blahblah which went away immediately. I opted to limp home in "bounce" mode which was not fun and after parking, saw the rear was sagging on both sides but more on the passenger side. I scanned for codes and got about 8 of them and upon bringing to the dealer, they said the compressor was bad and replaced it at a cost of about $2K. It was fine until late December and during a cold period, the same issues appeared and I again brought it in. After 2 days, they said they found moisture in the system and added a "drying" agent and recharged it (no cost). I drove it about a week or so and had issues again. Now it's in for the 3rd and they say they'll try and get on it within a day or 2 but I'm very sketical and my trust level of this system is decreasing fast. I know I can delete the air and go shocks/coils but what I'm finding as I search forums is a lot of chatter about lift kits, heavy shocks, lift spacers etc which I don't want or need. I also know I can buy the kits thru airdelete, strutmasters etc but that seems unecessary and more costly than piecing something together myself. Any opinions, model numbers would be appreciated. In my mind, I'd probably get the variable coils from Tuftruck (kind of a one fits all), Bilstiens for the rear (but which part number?) and a coil-over strut for the front for ease of the swap but again, what part numbers? I know the Monroe kit is an option but I do tow from time to time (nothing earth shattering heavy) and I'm hearing that Monroe system works but may be a bit light duty. I just want something "factory" height and load capable. Thanks..

healthyrx

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport Night
Engine
5.7 Hemi

This company sells a kit that will- as far as I know- include everything you need for an air delete. Even a rental tuner to remove the air suspension from your computer.
This kit has the bils which are height adjustable between stock and 2.7 inches lift
They also sell a 3” lift kit if that was a direction you may be interested.
Our site vendor @Nick@GotExhaust may be able to help you out with pricing as well

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Air suspension has really nice features. It's really a deluxe system, superior to standard shocks in many ways because it's dynamic. You'd be going backwards ..so to speak, going to regular shocks. Air systems are mostly the same: You have a compressor, solenoid valves, and tubing that supply air to air-bag shocks at each wheel. Then there is a leveling switch (rheostat) at each wheel and sometimes an air pressure solenoid at each shock. And air bleeds too. And a module and wiring that connects these systems. Not that tricky, but there are a lot of air and electrical connections and possibility for failures which make debugging something ya gotta work through. And these items are exposed to rocks, road salt, water, ice, vibration, trauma and all that. Usually it's the small stuff which causes the bulk of the problems (air leaks, valves not sealing, level switches, wiring). It's not that difficult or even time-consuming to de-bug once you know the system. Owners who rely on dealer service, the key is to find a tech who's invested the time to really understand the system. Then, debugging and repair outcomes are a more certain event. And that's the key..finding the 'right' tech. You might call a couple other dealer service dept's and ask if they have such a guy really knowledgeable on air suspensions. Find out who he/she is and make sure they are the one who will be working on your truck 'that day'.

But in general, air suspension systems are not that difficult to work on and well within the capabilities of a strong DIY mechanic. A lot cheaper to fix if you learn the system yourself. And that's totally do-able. I read through the entire Ram air suspension part of the service manual word-for-word some months ago while trying to help another forum member. It seems very similar to other air suspension systems I've dealt with in the past. Different makes are very similar in design. There are probably some good (general) air suspension videos too.

I've had my hands in air suspensions many years ago. Started when I used to own a Lincoln Continential back in the 90's with air suspension. It was the smoothest riding car I ever had -- EVER, even to this day! LOL. But it was the same thing: a lot of problems, dealers not up on how they work. Expensive, not always resolve the problem. The usual knee-jerk dealer-fix was to replace shocks at $1,200/ea, or the compressor ...weather those were the real problem or not. Dealers have to make money ..why not replace a $1,200 shock than the $25 solenoid on it? LOL. But if that wasn't it, then you were back to the dealer ..frustrating. HOWEVER ...a dealer back then let me read through their Lincoln manual and after that I just started fixing my own air suspension system. And I knew a couple other people, including my parents, eventually, who owned lincolns, so I got to dig into their systems too (yeah!! :) ). Then I got on to Cadillac air and dynamic shocks systems, which was more electrical-based, but still included many of the same air components (for load-leveling).

The Ram system is essentially similar components, with the addition of a few components and a computer tie-in. Usually the problems come down to small things from my experience. Sure, everyone wants to say it's the module or air compressor, or shocks, but usually it's Leveling switches, Air connectors, Air pressure solenoids, bad air seal at some tube, cracked tube, Cracked solder joint on a board, rodent-chewed wire, etc. All which are fairly cheap to fix/replace. Esp in Mn where you have cold temps and road salt that can lead to cracked plastic tubing and/or corrode connectors. It's usually not the larger expensive items (of course sometimes major items can fail). But just look at the compressor, that's got a bunch of items on it that can be serviced, and the compressor can be disassembled too. A $500 compressor and 5-day wait could be a 30-min free repair if it was a simple leak-fix for example. Something a dealer would never do.

Sorry for the long-winded reply. With all the possible failure points, it would be irresponsible to throw out scatter-gun 'forum-fixes' w/o knowing where to start. But, in summary, your truck has a top-notch suspension system. De-bugging and repairing it is within the DIY relm of a decent home mechanic. Usually the problems come down to simple things. There are Ram PDF Service Manuals floating around this forum ...I recommend you get & read the entire Air suspension section (twice and backwards). It's a rather long and somewhat technical section. Look past the technical stuff and voltage checks at first, to gain a good basic understanding. Working on it is simpler than the manual portrays. Knowledge is empowering. Once you gain a good understanding, what seemed fuzzy before suddenly becomes a clearer picture. And it's actually kind of fun if you like troubleshooting. With owners stripping their air suspension systems off, there should be plenty of (good) used parts out there should you need to replace a more major component.

Best of luck

Last edited:

Geraldsk

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Rebel
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I am also new here. I had to give my 2 cents, so to speak...I live in Canada, bought my 2015 Rebel in 2017, I noticed that warranty work on the air suspension had been recorded on the paper work when I bought it, I had no problems until a month ago. It was --30C for the last month and my air suspension would not work...it kept saying on the dash to repair/maintain my system, they charged me $500 for doing the code thing and purged it 3 times..the dealership/service man said there was a good chance the problem would persist even if I replaced some parts of the system the cost was to be over $2100 Cdn. and to replace with regular suspension about the same...I don't like to be frustrated, so i went with the regular system and now i have no worries about the system failing me, the ride is similar...it has been about 2 weeks now and I know that what i did for myself was the best thing....and the dealership knocked off the $500 that I paid previously the week earlier...gotta say the dealership was fair to me..PS, I know I won't buy another vehicle with air suspension again!

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It's crazy that Ram has not had to do some kind of recall on the 1500's with air suspension. It is such a common complaint about them, especially for the folks living in the snow belt.

Last edited:

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Air suspension has really nice features. It's really a deluxe system, superior to standard shocks in many ways because it's dynamic. You'd be going backwards ..so to speak, going to regular shocks. Air systems are mostly the same: You have a compressor, solenoid valves, and tubing that supply air to air-bag shocks at each wheel. Then there is a leveling switch (rheostat) at each wheel and sometimes an air pressure solenoid at each shock. And air bleeds too. And a module and wiring that connects these systems. Not that tricky, but there are a lot of air and electrical connections and possibility for failures which make debugging something ya gotta work through. And these items are exposed to rocks, road salt, water, ice, vibration, trauma and all that. Usually it's the small stuff which causes the bulk of the problems (air leaks, valves not sealing, level switches, wiring). It's not that difficult or even time-consuming to de-bug once you know the system. Owners who rely on dealer service, the key is to find a tech who's invested the time to really understand the system. Then, debugging and repair outcomes are a more certain event. And that's the key..finding the 'right' tech. You might call a couple other dealer service dept's and ask if they have such a guy really knowledgeable on air suspensions. Find out who he/she is and make sure they are the one who will be working on your truck 'that day'.

But in general, air suspension systems are not that difficult to work on and well within the capabilities of a strong DIY mechanic. A lot cheaper to fix if you learn the system yourself. And that's totally do-able. I read through the entire Ram air suspension part of the service manual word-for-word some months ago while trying to help another forum member. It seems very similar to other air suspension systems I've dealt with in the past. Different makes are very similar in design. There are probably some good (general) air suspension videos too.

I've had my hands in air suspensions many years ago. Started when I used to own a Lincoln Continential back in the 90's with air suspension. It was the smoothest riding car I ever had -- EVER, even to this day! LOL. But it was the same thing: a lot of problems, dealers not up on how they work. Expensive, not always resolve the problem. The usual knee-jerk dealer-fix was to replace shocks at $1,200/ea, or the compressor ...weather those were the real problem or not. Dealers have to make money ..why not replace a $1,200 shock than the $25 solenoid on it? LOL. But if that wasn't it, then you were back to the dealer ..frustrating. HOWEVER ...a dealer back then let me read through their Lincoln manual and after that I just started fixing my own air suspension system. And I knew a couple other people, including my parents, eventually, who owned lincolns, so I got to dig into their systems too (yeah!! :) ). Then I got on to Cadillac air and dynamic shocks systems, which was more electrical-based, but still included many of the same air components (for load-leveling).

The Ram system is essentially similar components, with the addition of a few components and a computer tie-in. Usually the problems come down to small things from my experience. Sure, everyone wants to say it's the module or air compressor, or shocks, but usually it's Leveling switches, Air connectors, Air pressure solenoids, bad air seal at some tube, cracked tube, Cracked solder joint on a board, rodent-chewed wire, etc. All which are fairly cheap to fix/replace. Esp in Mn where you have cold temps and road salt that can lead to cracked plastic tubing and/or corrode connectors. It's usually not the larger expensive items (of course sometimes major items can fail). But just look at the compressor, that's got a bunch of items on it that can be serviced, and the compressor can be disassembled too. A $500 compressor and 5-day wait could be a 30-min free repair if it was a simple leak-fix for example. Something a dealer would never do.

Sorry for the long-winded reply. With all the possible failure points, it would be irresponsible to throw out scatter-gun 'forum-fixes' w/o knowing where to start. But, in summary, your truck has a top-notch suspension system. De-bugging and repairing it is within the DIY relm of a decent home mechanic. Usually the problems come down to simple things. There are Ram PDF Service Manuals floating around this forum ...I recommend you get & read the entire Air suspension section (twice and backwards). It's a rather long and somewhat technical section. Look past the technical stuff and voltage checks at first, to gain a good basic understanding. Working on it is simpler than the manual portrays. Knowledge is empowering. Once you gain a good understanding, what seemed fuzzy before suddenly becomes a clearer picture. And it's actually kind of fun if you like troubleshooting. With owners stripping their air suspension systems off, there should be plenty of (good) used parts out there should you need to replace a more major component.

Best of luck
I had a bunch of Cadillacs from the 70's, 80's and 90's with the air suspensions. Best rides ever. When they broke, my cheap A$$ father cheaped out and put regular shocks in some. When I eventually got the heaps that they no longer wanted, I returned them to the OEM air ride. My parents were amazed at how nice they rode again. I was able to get the OEM shop manuals and diagnose and repair them myself. It can be done, just get a shop manual.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
My 19 has the air suspension and it's still working good. If it starts acting up it will get "repaired"(nitrogen purged) and maybe upgraged in some ways(desiccant dryer filter) but it will stay as an air suspension

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
While I have zero direct experience with MOPAR air ride suspension systems in the Ram's, I do have three close friends (1 x 1500 and 2 x 3500 (dually and standard)) that have had issues with their factory air suspensions over the recent years.

Two of these gents are exceptional automotive technicians with years of wrenching and no issues of working on anything thrown at them, and one that enjoys the ownership experience, but let's the shop tech work on everything.

All three had had major issues with their factory air suspensions over the years, and whilst in warranty the dealerships replaced many components from compressors to valves to wiring, and everything in between, and yet failures still occurred at an alarming rate.

When out of warranty, the issues became to cumbersome to continue to deal with and all three opted to replace with standard upgraded suspension. The buds with their 3500's then put in Air Lift compressors and components and have never had an issue since (they tow heavy and long haul).

It seems that the factory air suspensions frequently have issues, and kudo's to those owners who's factory air suspensions don't have issues. But the consensus with the circle I'm in that have direct hands-on experience with these suspensions all agree that if they knew then what they know now, they would have never opted for factory air suspension and just had Air Lift (or some other equivalent) installed from the get go and had a great ownership experience with no issues.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I tend to shudder when I hear stories of dealers replacing expensive items. Dealers are often guilty of throwing out the baby AND bathwater when a leaky drain plug is the root issue.

But even so, now there are used and lower-priced new parts on ebay. I see compressors listed as low as $250, or new for $325+, brand new pr of air struts for $430-ish (2x). Solenoid valve block $80 and up. Level sensors $66/pr. Cheaper parts are out there for the DIY guy. But yeah, if a guy wants to convert, then there are threads on the forum how to do that.

Last edited:

Zac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L ETorque
Junk. Not fixable. If you live in cold climate 32 or under. You will have problem rest of the life of the truck. I dumped my 2017 limited long horn and bought a 2022 Laramie without air.

SK 2016 limited

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2016 Laramie with air suspension and have posted my experience with this system a few years back. I added air line anti freeze into the system and have been going on 2 winters in Saskatchewan with temps well into the -30's driving this truck everyday and have not had any issues since.The issue is usually not a part failure but moisture in the system that freezes in the cold and causes any one of the known issues we have all had. This is very easy to do and it works. You can change all the parts repeatedly till your blue in the face, out of money,sick of taking it in or all of theses or like I say manage the problem by thinking outside the box for a solution like I had to. As a side note I am a former Chrysler Tech that spent many years working on the products in some of the coldest weather and often the solution for cold weather problems lies with alternative methods as opposed to parts replacement and complaining about Ram.Ram doesn't care about the small percentage of these trucks overall that have cold weather related problems and certainly won't initiate a recall especially when its not a part failure concern. I received negative feed back last time I posted this solution(that will dry out the seals, damage the bags and Blah Blah Blah) so I will share with anyone that contacts me more details otherwise I don't have time to listen to frustrated Ram owners who wish to despute this method that I have had good success with. It will cost you a little time and around $20 for this airline antifreeze and will save you world of grief.Or have fun spending 3k you likely don't need to and end up with and inferior ride your choice fellas cheers

OP
OP
L

Logjammin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I did what I said and cut my losses. One day of wrenching, about $830 and I’m free of this headache. It was great while it worked (140K) but too unreliable. I replaced the front with Rancho quick lifts which levels the truck. The rears got New variable rate coils and Gabriel mono tubes. I also cut off the jounce bumpers and replaced with some different slightly shorter ones. Ride is just fine and frankly the front seems more “stable” with a bit less lean on sharp corners. I’m quite happy with it. I used the video on the Monroe kit to guide me. The only thing is I get the service air suspension message when I start for a few seconds. I can live with that…not even worth buying the Alpha OBD to delete it in my opinion.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Same thing I woulda done except Billsteins

Fullboardmax

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine acted up once last winter and has been acting up again this past week. I'm probably just ordering the kit with bilstein 5100's and moving on. Thought about trading in. But trucks are stupid expensive.

OP
OP
L

Logjammin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No argument on going Bilstien. I was in a hurry and couldn't find enough info on what coil/strut #s for the front end. The air delete/strutmasters kits seemed easy but quite a bit more money than my rockauto.com parts cost. The parts I went with were a simple solve to my problem and frankly I don't plan to keep the vehicle too much longer anyway. All in all I'm very pleased with the outcome. Now if I could just sell the compressor I wasted a butt-load of $ on and any of the other parts I gutted. I remember being leery of this system when I purchased the truck and I still say, it was great wile it lasted. That said...never again. I like the "Limited" trim level but I'll never get the air suspension on any truck again.

Dreyton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2016 Laramie with air suspension and have posted my experience with this system a few years back. I added air line anti freeze into the system and have been going on 2 winters in Saskatchewan with temps well into the -30's driving this truck everyday and have not had any issues since.The issue is usually not a part failure but moisture in the system that freezes in the cold and causes any one of the known issues we have all had. This is very easy to do and it works. You can change all the parts repeatedly till your blue in the face, out of money,sick of taking it in or all of theses or like I say manage the problem by thinking outside the box for a solution like I had to. As a side note I am a former Chrysler Tech that spent many years working on the products in some of the coldest weather and often the solution for cold weather problems lies with alternative methods as opposed to parts replacement and complaining about Ram.Ram doesn't care about the small percentage of these trucks overall that have cold weather related problems and certainly won't initiate a recall especially when its not a part failure concern. I received negative feed back last time I posted this solution(that will dry out the seals, damage the bags and Blah Blah Blah) so I will share with anyone that contacts me more details otherwise I don't have time to listen to frustrated Ram owners who wish to despute this method that I have had good success with. It will cost you a little time and around $20 for this airline antifreeze and will save you world of grief.Or have fun spending 3k you likely don't need to and end up with and inferior ride your choice fellas cheers
My fix for the freeze up of suspension is I bought a 80w battery blanket off Amazon and wrapped it around the compressor and air valve assembly block then cut the cord. and then feeding through the frame underneath spliced an extension cord to it. I came into the rear cab at the floor storage box. Installed a plug and can now plug it into my dash when travelling or house outlet at home, Has worked for the last two winters, Oh and a winter front as well.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Interesting take on the issues.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Junk. Not fixable. If you live in cold climate 32 or under. You will have problem rest of the life of the truck. I dumped my 2017 limited long horn and bought a 2022 Laramie without air.
Amazing, wonder how mine has managed to keep working.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There's a whole layer of extra components to fail on an air ride system. Sooner or later some will. Lucky you got 140k out of yours. A guy has to be his own 'Master Tech' or spend a ton on service. Some EV's are using air suspensions too due to their battery weight, so expect to see it more commonly. Won't that be a headache for EV owners down the road?

Glad you found resolution. What's your next truck going to be ...if and when you upgrade? (5th gen?)

Zac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L ETorque
Just to be clear I am talking about norm not exception. You can search Ram air suspension. I stand my ground, it is pure junk.