Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Theair98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello all. Just joined the group and have several issues to iron out. I have a 2012 Ram Sport i bought two years ago. It came with a flat cam ( surprise to me :mad: ). So 3 grand later I have a decent running truck. That was 20,000 miles ago. I just had to replace the passenger side lifters. Got the truck back making 10 times the noise it had been making. Company said I needed to break in the lifters for 500 miles, and that they would quiet down. Uh, no... I had a second set put in. I had to pay for all the fixins except the lifters. Again still ticking. Not as loud. No codes thrown. Has anyone ever heard of lifters needing broken in? Sounds like snake oil to me. I have done several GM motors in my day and never had to break lifters in. The motor has MDS and VVT. The ticking does quiet down when the MDS is active, for a little while. I have limited experience with these engines, but I can't help feeling like it has to be valve train related. I plan to pull the cover this weekend to check the push rod lengths and for play in the rocker arms. I am pretty sure I told the mechanic to replace the push rods when he did the cam swap, but wasn't there to witness it or do it myself. Is there anything else I should be looking for? I know there has to be some lifter pre-load built in, but I can't believe the problem still exists after 2 sets of Mopar lifters. Anyone ever seen the rocker pads wear out? The valve train slack HAS to be coming from somewhere. One reason I HATE fixed valve trains. Thanks for the help, in advance and sorry for the long newbie post.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome to the forum! You will get plenty of answers shortly from the crew. If you had joined before the engine work, everyone would have said get non-MDS lifters! But thats hindsight now. Theres a break-in for just about everything, but havent heard of it in a scenario like yours.

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Welcome to the forum.

Post your question in the 4th Generation section and you will get some response.

Red

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Welcome.

Maybe read the synthetic oil/oil filter thread(s). Might not help but can't hurt either.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome to the Ram Forum, was the Cam replaced during replacing the lifters or was the cam inspected, what condition are the push rods, rocker arms and valve springs in?

OP
OP
Theair98

Theair98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The cam was replaced. The valve springs looked ok, to my knowledge. Just drove it to Wisconsin to go snowmobiling and put the 500 miles on it. Still a tic. Going to replace all four rocker shafts and pushrods. It's due with 120,00. I will figure this out. Eventually...