New Midsized Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
not for me, but thanks for sharing

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mid size is such a weird category. Same mileage, less space all around, less tow capacity. Idk, makes no sense to own one for me. Since this may be full EV or a hybrid the mileage thing goes away but still, cramped cab space.

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
RAM so far has missed out on the revised mid sized truck market that GM seems to have re-ignited a few years ago. My daughter drives a Colorado and can't say enough good about it. The new version is quite interesting too. I'd like to see RAM re-enter this market with ICE, Hybrid and EV versions of a mid-sized truck.

Thanks for the link to the article. Concepts are neat, but waiting to see something more practical.

Hirsbrunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The problem with midsize for me is that they, as said above, get the same or very similar mileage as a full size, but cost about the same. If they were priced more competitively, or offered substantial savings from a full size, then I'd see them in a new light. If Ram were to bring back a midsize into the market right now, they'd need to find a way to compete with the Tacoma. Nobody really does the midsize truck as well as Toyota right now imo.

Jpage978

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Came from Tacoma to my Ram, like the truck but wanted more powerful truck with more front seat space and bed size, for some the smaller truck is better, if they're into the whole overlanding lifestyle for example, the smaller truck has its advantages, and yes the gas mileage wasn't much better then my Hemi

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, the MPG thing is why I'm in a full size. I don't particularly need it, but for about the same MPG (+ or - 1 or 2) I have all this extra capacity and space. My '01 Dakota 3.9V6 got about the same mileage as my current '09 Hemi.

Still, it's very pretty, but so are most concepts. It'll never make it to production looking like that.

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
NO EV"S -EVER !!!!! for me!, And glad I bought my used Ram and did not weight for a new Dakota. Looks like a crappy little truck that nothing will fit in. And no "TRUCK" capability!

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Stellantis has been selling a badge engineered Fiat Strada in South America as the Ram 700 for a while now. I figure that's what the "new" Dakota is going to be. A Maverick competitor.

Too expensive and no real truck capability. No thanks.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
THE FUTURE IS RET@RDED!!!
So short run down, where I live we are not on the regular grid it would just cost too much to run and maintain lines that are 500+ miles. So we have our own grid, hydro electric in the summer and 10+ massive cat diesel generators in the winter.
These electric vehicles may give the little leaf lickers the jollies for "helping" the environment but in all actuality their electric cars are.... DIESEL powered cars!! Lol! If everyone in my area and surrounding area were to operate and charge electric cars around the same time we'd probly melt the wires off the poles.
What I'm saying is the idea is a great idea if, you don't operate in the cold, don't operate in the hot and don't mind the possibility of your vehicle having a Thermal run away and catching fire. I mean do you really want to fight over charge stations with the locals sit and wait 8 hrs for a charge and I hope you never plan on traveling long distances again it'd take 10x longer to get anywhere lol. The grid, all grids and infrastructure, are not set up for electric vehicles and I highly doubt they ever will be, it's just a passing trend like mirror dice and fidget spinners.
I'll stick to my 2 minute fuel up and be on my way.
That's just my two cents.

Also watch this. It's old but hey it's the truth.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
THE FUTURE IS RET@RDED!!!
So short run down, where I live we are not on the regular grid it would just cost too much to run and maintain lines that are 500+ miles. So we have our own grid, hydro electric in the summer and 10+ massive cat diesel generators in the winter.
These electric vehicles may give the little leaf lickers the jollies for "helping" the environment but in all actuality their electric cars are.... DIESEL powered cars!! Lol! If everyone in my area and surrounding area were to operate and charge electric cars around the same time we'd probly melt the wires off the poles.
What I'm saying is the idea is a great idea if, you don't operate in the cold, don't operate in the hot and don't mind the possibility of your vehicle having a Thermal run away and catching fire. I mean do you really want to fight over charge stations with the locals sit and wait 8 hrs for a charge and I hope you never plan on traveling long distances again it'd take 10x longer to get anywhere lol. The grid, all grids and infrastructure, are not set up for electric vehicles and I highly doubt they ever will be, it's just a passing trend like mirror dice and fidget spinners.
I'll stick to my 2 minute fuel up and be on my way.
That's just my two cents.

Also watch this. It's old but hey it's the truth.
The only real green tech is hydro, and "they" refuse to make new hydro. solar and wind turbines have low lifespans, plus it is inefficient to store massive energy to propel a vehicle considering the process to retrieve rare metals and the lifespan of those materials in the battery. It is a very bad joke, and we will likely run out of rare metals long before we run out of oil if known reserves means anything. The worst joke, people who buy EV because they think they are safer, lol. That they can't catch on fire. Not only do they catch on fire but you can't put them out, lol. Often they burn for days.

The other scary thing is price, they estimate starting price will be 58k?? If you put 10 g's down the payment would be 848 dollars per month for 7 years with the top credit score. For a base model that lets face it you can never get, so it will be more, lets call it a G. Now this is the low range models that nobody wants, if you want a long range battery add 30k, lol. The ford lightning longer range starts at 69,999 for the xlt, which is basically a base model. So 70k for a base model with a longer range? Most people believe rams ev will be similarly priced.

I paid 24k for my 2010 slt 4x4 off the showroom floor. Zero chance I can even afford the base model low range ram ev, even if I wanted it. The worst part, the ev tax credits are only available for companies, because you have to owe 8500 dollars to the gov for taxes in order to get the full credit, and you cannot carry the credit. EV's are for the elite and companies.

Last edited:

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
The only real green tech is hydro, and "they" refuse to make new hydro. solar and wind turbines have low lifespans, plus it is inefficient to store massive energy to propel a vehicle considering the process to retrieve rare metals and the lifespan of those materials in the battery. It is a very bad joke, and we will likely run out of rare metals long before we run out of oil if known reserves means anything. The worst joke, people who buy EV because they think they are safer, lol. That they can't catch on fire. Not only do they catch on fire but you can't put them out, lol. Often they burn for days.

The other scary thing is price, they estimate starting price will be 58k?? If you put 10 g's down the payment would be 848 dollars per month for 7 years with the top credit score. For a base model that lets face it you can never get, so it will be more, lets call it a G. Now this is the low range models that nobody wants, if you want a long range battery add 30k, lol. The ford lightning longer range starts at 69,999 for the xlt, which is basically a base model. So 70k for a base model with a longer range? Most people believe rams ev will be similarly priced.

I paid 24k for my 2010 slt 4x4 off the showroom floor. Zero chance I can even afford the base model low range ram ev, even if I wanted it. The worst part, the ev tax credits are only available for companies, because you have to owe 8500 dollars to the gov for taxes in order to get the full credit, and you cannot carry the credit. EV's are for the elite and companies.

Yeah I totally agree the price is insane, the battery will likely be fried before you're even done paying it off. I wonder what it'll cost just for a replacement battery.

I also agree in a sense that hydro is a greener alternative but you also have to consider what you're going to be backing up and flooding up stream by putting it there, the massive cost of actually building it and the effects it will have downstream. Essentially you're creating flood and drout basically natural disasters for habitats up and down stream of the damn it's self. Once it's established for years and everyone forgets, it's not so bad. Up here in Canada there's a damn project called site c. It's up in Kitimat. We'll it's going to be such a big damn and so much water flowing they're moving roads and building bridges much much higher to account for this. Billions in infastructure modifications alone to accommodate this. :oops:
But all in all its the most stable of the resources until winter hits.
I still think nuclear is the way if handled properly and maintained.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nuclear is the best "carbon free" way forward. But none of this "green" push is really about cleaning up the planet or ending our dependence on fossil fuels, it's all a wealth redistribution and control scheme.

Price the poor and lower middle class out of being able to afford a vehicle. Make the upper middle class wholly dependent upon the electric grid for transportation. Who controls the grid? The government does.

Declare an "emergency" due to all this increased demand for electricity and start rationing it. No, I'm sorry, you don't get to charge your glorified golf cart today... guess you are stuck at home if you don't live in a place with readily accessible public transit. It's like magic. If you control your population's ability to travel you control them. You've just turned a free people back into serfs without firing a shot.

That's the end game of all this. A new Feudal Age where the sociopolitical elite own and control everything and 99.9% of the population are peasants fortunate to have a roof over their heads and a bowl of gruel to eat. We'll be back in the Dark Ages again.