New milwaukee m12 stubby impact 1/2!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Dinky

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep...I did just buy the 2997 kit which comes with the new gen hammer drill and impact driver. It also comes with 2.0ah batteries, which normally I wouldnt be thrilled about, but with the tools being so small, I think I would rather use them with the 2.0 pack instead of a 4/5/6ah pack.

I might return the kit anyway, but Im not sure yet. As if I needed more drills....I now have the first second and third gen M18 Fuel hammer drill. I dont think I ever even used my first gen M18 fuel hex impact driver, but now I have the 3rd gen too.

The one thing I *dont* like is the chucks they use....there is a lot of wobble on my 2nd gen. 1st gen is OK. Havent tried the 3rd gen yet. The problem with 2nd gen and newer is that they went to a fairly non-standard arbor diameter, so you cant exactly buy a good chuck to replace their crappy one. 1st gen there was a Rohm chuck that would fit.

I dont buy kits anymore. just buy the bare tools and batteries i have 8 chargers sitting in a box lmao. last year i got the surge 1/4 impact and that thing is sweet. ive never had issues with any of my chucks at all but i dont buy from home depot. there is a Big write up on why home depot can sell tools cheaper then other places. the change out parts for cheaper stuff like triggers or contacts and or chucks. ill see if i can find the write up

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I dont buy kits anymore. just buy the bare tools and batteries i have 8 chargers sitting in a box lmao. last year i got the surge 1/4 impact and that thing is sweet. ive never had issues with any of my chucks at all but i dont buy from home depot. there is a Big write up on why home depot can sell tools cheaper then other places. the change out parts for cheaper stuff like triggers or contacts and or chucks. ill see if i can find the write up

I tend to take those write ups with a grain of salt. There is a thread on Garage Journal complaining about the chucks and they were all bought at different places. HD, authorized tool places online, Colony Hardware (one of only a few authorized non-HD dealers), etc. I would like to see anyone at HD be able to remove a chuck from one of these drills. ANd then reinstall a different one without making it blaringly obvious. And if we think Milwaukee makes a separate version of their tools just for HD, that is also kinda far fetched because it would only cost them MORE money to have separate versions. Go check out DeWalt, with their 836563 different model numbers. Chances are they ARE making a specific HD version, but it will have its very own model number. Milwaukee is pretty light on "lines"....brushed, brushless, FUEL. Thats it.

I bough this kit in particular because it was $210 for the new hammer drill, new impact driver, 5.0ah pack, 2.0ah pack, fast charger all in a Packout case. Normally I would stick with bare tools but thats a decent price for all that stuff. I could probably resell the battery packs and charger and get almost half of the cost back.

OP
OP
Dinky

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I tend to take those write ups with a grain of salt. There is a thread on Garage Journal complaining about the chucks and they were all bought at different places. HD, authorized tool places online, Colony Hardware (one of only a few authorized non-HD dealers), etc. I would like to see anyone at HD be able to remove a chuck from one of these drills. ANd then reinstall a different one without making it blaringly obvious. And if we think Milwaukee makes a separate version of their tools just for HD, that is also kinda far fetched because it would only cost them MORE money to have separate versions. Go check out DeWalt, with their 836563 different model numbers. Chances are they ARE making a specific HD version, but it will have its very own model number. Milwaukee is pretty light on "lines"....brushed, brushless, FUEL. Thats it.

I bough this kit in particular because it was $210 for the new hammer drill, new impact driver, 5.0ah pack, 2.0ah pack, fast charger all in a Packout case. Normally I would stick with bare tools but thats a decent price for all that stuff. I could probably resell the battery packs and charger and get almost half of the cost back.

I dont believe that to be true at all. its not home depot doing it its the manufacturer changing it out for home depot. its easy to think it doesnt happen but if a store like home depot says they guaranty they will by 5 million units a year just make it cheaper. they dont care how you do it the just want a cheaper price now milwaukee just has to change a few parts to make it happen they will. when 1 buyer buys that much any manufacturer will change to accommodate them. If you go to home depot and then a commercial construction tool store the serial numbers will not match for the batch of tools. parts will vary i know because i have done it first hand.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I dont believe that to be true at all. its not home depot doing it its the manufacturer changing it out for home depot. its easy to think it doesnt happen but if a store like home depot says they guaranty they will by 5 million units a year just make it cheaper. they dont care how you do it the just want a cheaper price now milwaukee just has to change a few parts to make it happen they will. when 1 buyer buys that much any manufacturer will change to accommodate them. If you go to home depot and then a commercial construction tool store the serial numbers will not match for the batch of tools. parts will vary i know because i have done it first hand.

I would be interested to see the differences.

I mean, if I go look up a parts list for a 2704-20 drill, there arent multiple lists. Does TTI (milwaukees parent co) really make multiple versions of the same part and then track what version of the drill gets what before they build, package and ship it?

OP
OP
Dinky

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would be interested to see the differences.

I mean, if I go look up a parts list for a 2704-20 drill, there arent multiple lists. Does TTI (milwaukees parent co) really make multiple versions of the same part and then track what version of the drill gets what before they build, package and ship it?

https://www.equipmentworld.com/hilti-to-end-home-depot-relationship/#

Yes they make multiple versions that you can only authorized repair shops can tell you what's different. Walmart started making manufacturers do this well before power tools. It's no different from a shirt to a power tool. If a store guarantees they will buy a lot amount the manufacturer can make a whole new assembly line dedicated to that store. It's not as hard as you think it is.