New Morimoto xb headlights help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KWG88ss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You cannot tell me that I am not seeing the difference I am seeing. With the stock quads I literally found this truck scary to drive in inclement weather at night. The lights got washed out to the point of a passenger asking me if my lights were on one day. It was that bad. Even my wife was shocked when she was in my truck one evening after the install.

I mean, yes, I can. We both have the same lights. We both had the same lights. I also drive in inclement weather. The numbers won’t lie, nor will the pictures. There are distinct situations where they outperform, there are also situations where they underperform and may not be suitable for all situations.

Many people on here are straight up experiencing apophenia. Just because we spent $1350 does not automatically mean that the lights are superior in all scenarios. I think most are simply trying to justify the expense of the lights.

Hello CAI argument anyone???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
mpress2570

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I mean, yes, I can. We both have the same lights. We both had the same lights. I also drive in inclement weather. The numbers won’t lie, nor will the pictures. There are distinct situations where they outperform, there are also situations where they underperform and may not be suitable for all situations.

Many people on here are straight up experiencing apophenia. Just because we spent $1350 does not automatically mean that the lights are superior in all scenarios. I think most are simply trying to justify the expense of the lights.

Hello CAI argument anyone???

They’re LED. They’re not going to outperform everything else. Hid still is a and probably will remain the all time best option. That’s why I wish the released an hid version of all their housings. Would be cheaper and far more superior. But they’re only available in led which is why I’m happy the good lord gave us light bars. 2851ea2b02d8dac5759926dcd291983d.jpg

Reddington

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
"There are distinct situations where they outperform, there are also situations where they underperform and may not be suitable for all situations."

I fail to comprehend how a light that is better in regular night driving and in driving at night in the rain can possibly not be suitable for another situation. What exactly are you saying? I mean, are you telling me right now that when you drive with these lights at night that you think the quads are better during both a clear night and in rain? I have not yet driven in snow with them since it is summer time. I also have the fogs with yellow laminex and have them aimed properly for fog light usage and they are great as well.

With respect to the cost, I was ready to spend what I needed to in order to upgrade. Whether that was these or a custom build, cost was not an option for me personally. If these sucked I would have returned them and contacted someone for a custom build.

OP
OP
mpress2570

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
"There are distinct situations where they outperform, there are also situations where they underperform and may not be suitable for all situations."

I fail to comprehend how a light that is better in regular night driving and in driving at night in the rain can possibly not be suitable for another situation. What exactly are you saying? I mean, are you telling me right now that when you drive with these lights at night that you think the quads are better during both a clear night and in rain? I have not yet driven in snow with them since it is summer time. I also have the fogs with yellow laminex and have them aimed properly for fog light usage and they are great as well.

With respect to the cost, I was ready to spend what I needed to in order to upgrade. Whether that was these or a custom build, cost was not an option for me personally. If these sucked I would have returned them and contacted someone for a custom build.

It has to do with the color spectrum/temperatures and what colors/temperatures reflect in certain situations or get absorbed in others. The kelvin of the LEDs is not optimal for all situations.

OP
OP
mpress2570

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What situations would those be? That is what I am trying to understand.

Inclement weather I.e. rain, fog, snow. Blue is too harsh of a color while yellow is too dim. Blue tends to reflect back into your eyes. Which is why you want dead center of that about 4300K

predat-r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
They’re LED. They’re not going to outperform everything else. Hid still is a and probably will remain the all time best option. That’s why I wish the released an hid version of all their housings. Would be cheaper and far more superior. But they’re only available in led which is why I’m happy the good lord gave us light bars. 2851ea2b02d8dac5759926dcd291983d.jpg

Did someone say LED bar! I had these installed to help my projectors but was disapointed with them after 2 seperate sets.eb7c91a51f88eb25cecf622110268a6e.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
mpress2570

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did someone say LED bar! I had these installed to help my projectors but was disapointed with them after 2 seperate sets.eb7c91a51f88eb25cecf622110268a6e.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

My rough country is holding up pretty damn good. And the output is insane.

Bennyrok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
To each their own I guess, Yea!! the morimoto's are very costly!! but I can't seem to find anything wrong with them as of yet, most of the other flash in the pan lights aren't even street legal in my little end of the planet. I find my truck to really stick out in the crowd of rams in this area, and the headlights confuse the hell out of most of them. So! to me they were well worth the money. Hopefully we put this to rest. Have a great day guys :)

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
most of the other flash in the pan lights aren't even street legal in my little end of the planet.
Interesting you would say this, because neither are the Morimotos with the clear corners (assuming your “end of the planet” is the US).

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Interesting you would say this, because neither are the Morimotos with the clear corners (assuming your “end of the planet” is the US).
Lol people love making up stuff to justify spending $1350 on headlights. The Alpharex lights are closer to being "legal" then the Morimotos.

OP
OP
mpress2570

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lol people love making up stuff to justify spending $1350 on headlights. The Alpharex lights are closer to being "legal" then the Morimotos.

Yeah lol they’re not legal and never claimed to be. They claim that their projectors are legal not their housings. “Their quad-projector optics meet & exceed all SAE, DOT, and FMVSS108 regulations when aimed properly”. That being said Morimoto is one of very few brands that actually have clear corners instead of the nasty amber [emoji1785] . I think it’s a fantastic detail.

But it is interesting you brought up Alpharex when talking about people trying to justify spending 1350 dollars on headlights, because the LED alpharex headlights are the same price lol.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yeah lol they’re not legal and never claimed to be. They claim that their projectors are legal not their housings. “Their quad-projector optics meet & exceed all SAE, DOT, and FMVSS108 regulations when aimed properly”. That being said Morimoto is one of very few brands that actually have clear corners instead of the nasty amber [emoji1785] . I think it’s a fantastic detail.

But it is interesting you brought up Alpharex when talking about people trying to justify spending 1350 dollars on headlights, because the LED alpharex headlights are the same price lol.

Yea I agree on the clear corners. According to AlphaRex, if they put clear corners in their (AlphaRex) headlights, it makes them non-compliant with the DOT and opens them up to being seized at the port when they are imported. I find this reason to be total b.s. because there are sooo many aftermarket headlights with clear corners and you never hear about them being seized and on top of that, why would Morimoto put clear corners in their housings if it opened them up to the possibility of their cargo containers being seized by customs and the possibility of losing 10’s of thousands of dollars, if not $100,000+. No company would risk that for every shipment just to have some clear corners in their lights. No amount of customer requests or sales projections would justify that risk.

OP
OP
mpress2570

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea I agree on the clear corners. According to AlphaRex, if they put clear corners in their (AlphaRex) headlights, it makes them non-compliant with the DOT and opens them up to being seized at the port when they are imported. I find this reason to be total b.s. because there are sooo many aftermarket headlights with clear corners and you never hear about them being seized and on top of that, why would Morimoto put clear corners in their housings if it opened them up to the possibility of their cargo containers being seized by customs and the possibility of losing 10’s of thousands of dollars, if not $100,000+. No company would risk that for every shipment just to have some clear corners in their lights. No amount of customer requests or sales projections would justify that risk.

That’s whole mess of garbage I know nothing about, but I don’t think anyone has to worry about them getting seized. There are loopholes everywhere. Clear corner lights aren’t illegal to possess. They’re illegal for on road usage. Many aftermarket companies get away with it by marking their products as “off-road use only” seeing how there is no disclaimer (that I’ve seen) anywhere on the product, on the packaging, in literature, or on their website I’d say they found a loophole somewhere else. Maybe they’re aloud to sell them simply based on the fact that it is the consumers responsibility to make their vehicles street legal not the manufacturer of aftermarket parts. I know I don’t ever have to worry about the legality of the Morimotos where I live. You can get by with having two mag lights as headlights around here.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
That’s whole mess of garbage I know nothing about, but I don’t think anyone has to worry about them getting seized. There are loopholes everywhere. Clear corner lights aren’t illegal to possess. They’re illegal for on road usage. Many aftermarket companies get away with it by marking their products as “off-road use only” seeing how there is no disclaimer (that I’ve seen) anywhere on the product, on the packaging, in literature, or on their website I’d say they found a loophole somewhere else. Maybe they’re aloud to sell them simply based on the fact that it is the consumers responsibility to make their vehicles street legal not the manufacturer of aftermarket parts. I know I don’t ever have to worry about the legality of the Morimotos where I live. You can get by with having two mag lights as headlights around here.

Yea I’m well aware of the “for off-road use only” warning on aftermarket products lol... but I spoke personally with AlphaRex about it and they said there is absolutely no way to legally import lights with clear corners, which I didn’t want to argue about with them, so I just said “oh wow, ok”... I just think they either can’t source clear corners or just don’t want to do it.

OP
OP
mpress2570

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea I’m well aware of the “for off-road use only” warning on aftermarket products lol... but I spoke personally with AlphaRex about it and they said there is absolutely no way to legally import lights with clear corners, which I didn’t want to argue about with them, so I just said “oh wow, ok”... I just think they either can’t source clear corners or just don’t want to do it.

Yeah all I can do on the subject is just take a guess. Hell it could be a matter of who has the deepest pockets for all I know. Alpharex is 100 bucks cheaper than Morimoto maybe Morimoto pays 100 dollars per headlight for them to look the other way. I guess anything is possible.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I guess I should have re-phrased my above comment. Installing only the Morimoto headlights (or any other set that has clear corners) puts your TRUCK out of compliance unless you install some kind of amber reflective marker somewhere on the front sides of the truck. Nothing actually says that the headlights themselves have to have the amber reflective marker. There’s plenty of vehicles that come factory like this (certain Audi’s). That’s probably how Morimoto gets away with importing them, and alpharex is just misinterpreting it.

OP
OP
mpress2570

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I guess I should have re-phrased my above comment. Installing only the Morimoto headlights (or any other set that has clear corners) puts your TRUCK out of compliance unless you install some kind of amber reflective marker somewhere on the front sides of the truck. Nothing actually says that the headlights themselves have to have the amber reflective marker. There’s plenty of vehicles that come factory like this (certain Audi’s). That’s probably how Morimoto gets away with importing them, and alpharex is just misinterpreting it.

Dodge Charger doesn’t have markers in their headlights