New motor - New towing capacity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
According to what someone posted a few days ago a private owner cannot get it re-certified. Has to be done through an aftermarket company or something. But I can't take my truck myself and get it done.

Toddbigboytruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
According to what someone posted a few days ago a private owner cannot get it re-certified. Has to be done through an aftermarket company or something. But I can't take my truck myself and get it done.
Yea I believe you are right but what I said was there are garages that can be done. If there is a will there’s a way just add money.

engineering

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
Yea I believe you are right but what I said was there are garages that can be done. If there is a will there’s a way just add money.

Yeah - in the USA.....just add a few $billion to buy Chrysler.
Pretty sure just buying a new truck is the more practical option unless you are really hoping to run a automobile company and have Bill Gates money.

Toddbigboytruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah - in the USA.....just add a few $billion to buy Chrysler.
Pretty sure just buying a new truck is the more practical option unless you are really hoping to run a automobile company and have Bill Gates money.
Is it really I just got my 3500 dualy and well used 35000 km 2018 Laramie and it was 77000$ I sure a upgrade and recertification isn’t close to that much cash.

Gregg kellogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
you can change the tow rating with gear ratio in the rear , if you take 2 identical trucks same engine, trans , one has 3:73 rears and the other 4:10 rears the tow rating will be approximately 3,000 lbs more with 4:10 , i know this for a fact, because i ran into this situation with my truck and 3:73 gears i spent alot of time on phone with ram techs , with 3:73 i could pull 19,000 lbs , and with 4:10 i could pull 22,000 lbs , i put 4:56 gears in it , i pull a 15,000 lbs toyhauler made a huge difference in pulling power , have 6.4 hemi, but if you want to be legal it needs to be recertified

Gregg kellogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
you can change the tow rating with gear ratio in the rear , if you take 2 identical trucks same engine, trans , one has 3:73 rears and the other 4:10 rears the tow rating will be approximately 3,000 lbs more with 4:10 , i know this for a fact, because i ran into this situation with my truck and 3:73 gears i spent alot of time on phone with ram techs , with 3:73 i could pull 19,000 lbs , and with 4:10 i could pull 22,000 lbs , i put 4:56 gears in it , i pull a 15,000 lbs toyhauler made a huge difference in pulling power , have 6.4 hemi, but if you want to be legal it needs to be recertified

Gregg kellogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Let me change my last post , you can up your payload with gears , but it will still have the old weight rating on the door , dont think there is anyway to re certify the truck i am over by about 3,500 lbs , but with 4.56 gears it is good , just wont pass the weight police

engineering

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
Is it really I just got my 3500 dualy and well used 35000 km 2018 Laramie and it was 77000$ I sure a upgrade and recertification isn’t close to that much cash.

What country do you live in?

engineering

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L

Yes, I know. The question was rhetorical. It is in your public profile shown on every post.

upload_2021-3-15_19-24-10.png

I mentioned the USA for a reason. The OP lives in the USA and USA laws are not the same as Canadian laws. Surely that is not to difficult to understand, right?

Toddbigboytruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes, I know. The question was rhetorical. It is in your public profile shown on every post.

View attachment 241396

I mentioned the USA for a reason. The OP lives in the USA and USA laws are not the same as Canadian laws. Surely that is not to difficult to understand, right?
Yes but I found the certificate information on a USA site first then I researched it further and it is the same here in Canada. You would find most laws are similar in both countries as excellent when it comes to pot and firearms

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Let me change my last post , you can up your payload with gears , but it will still have the old weight rating on the door , dont think there is anyway to re certify the truck i am over by about 3,500 lbs , but with 4.56 gears it is good , just wont pass the weight police

As was stated earlier, he could get it recertified. But because ALL THAT WAS DONE WAS AN ENGINE SWAP, he did NOT change is towing capacity, just his ability to get it moving.

Recertifying at this point is only likely to change his tow rating by a few dozen pounds, if it doesn't negatively affect it due to a heavier engine.

DuallyDean

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Didn't read the entire thread, but enough of it to know that those who argue they can increase the payload of a truck by throwing a bigger engine in it simply don't understand how payload capacity is determined. IT IS DETERMINED BY THE WEAKEST LINK.
What is the weakest link? Could be cooling system capacity (engine OR transmission). Could be tires. Could be braking performance. Could be Ring and Pinion torque capacity. Could be chassis dynamics (stability, the ability of the vehicle to wag the trailer and not the other way around). Generally speaking, manufacturers care a lot less about how fast you can get a load moving or how well you can pull the hill, and a LOT more about if you can control the trailer in a cross wind or winding road and whether you can stop the load in less than 2 miles.
Don't confuse PERFORMANCE with CAPACITY.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I stopped reading through all the posts
all i read from the Owner was
2004 4x4 Crewcab short bed.
The Series was never mentioned & from what i saw, Single or Dually was not mentioned
....................................................................................
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 , engines were 4.7 & 5.7 Liter
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 , engine was 5.7 L .. Tow Capacity 12,850
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 , engine was 5.9 Liter H.O. 16 Cummings, Tow Capacity 14,150

Bearcatrp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Didn't read the entire thread, but enough of it to know that those who argue they can increase the payload of a truck by throwing a bigger engine in it simply don't understand how payload capacity is determined. IT IS DETERMINED BY THE WEAKEST LINK.
What is the weakest link? Could be cooling system capacity (engine OR transmission). Could be tires. Could be braking performance. Could be Ring and Pinion torque capacity. Could be chassis dynamics (stability, the ability of the vehicle to wag the trailer and not the other way around). Generally speaking, manufacturers care a lot less about how fast you can get a load moving or how well you can pull the hill, and a LOT more about if you can control the trailer in a cross wind or winding road and whether you can stop the load in less than 2 miles.
Don't confuse PERFORMANCE with CAPACITY.
Another thing looked at for towing is gearing. My 2017 has 3:73 and Ram shows max towing is 12,600 lbs. But 4:10 shows 15,600 but with same setup.

Last edited:

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Another thing looked at for towing is gearing. My 2017 has 3:73 and Ram shows max towing is 12,600 lbs. But 4:10 shows 15,600 but with same setup.

You are correct but unfortunately doing that will not legally change your max tow rating. Even with 4.10's or even 4.88's your max is still going to be 12,600 even though they are identical. Now if you had to go to court and convince a jury that they were identical you might be successful but would it be worth it even if you won? Might sound like nitpicking but I'd rather be safe than sorry

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The entire physical being of the truck is tested and certified for a maximum payload capacity and GCWR. Changing one part will most likely not increase any capacity and may instead reduce the ratings. For example, trucks are required by Federal law to stop in a certain distance at 20 mph in a number of back to back runs. So unless the brakes were updated, it is doubtful any increase is realized. And cooling must be addressed, has it been reduced with a larger engine in the bay? Does the engine and mounting components weigh more; that on its own is possibly a deduction. And of course trailer sway is measured in tests, so a larger trailer will probably adversely impact towing. Realistically, if the engine is being replaced, it is arguably best to save some money and go with the exact replacement.

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks to 50 states having 117 different regulations :p the answer needs to be a little more differentiated. Generally speaking, there are no "legal towing limits" based on the manufacturer ratings. If they were legally binding they would be recorded on the federally mandated sticker. That sticker has the GVWR and the axle ratings but not the GCWR. Now depending on state a truck might be registered with a GCWR, which sometimes can be higher than the factory rating. Commercial operators do have a GCWR rating on the tow vehicle, and again it's not uncommon for hot shot operators to register for GCWR exceeding the manufacturer ratings because if they are over the registered GCWR they are in serious trouble so they like to pad a bit.
Out West here the limits are GVWR of the tow vehicle and the trailer, and the axle and tire ratings for tow vehicle and trailer. It's important to point out that there are other regulations about unsafe and negligent operation which apply so if the tail is wagging the dog a trooper will pull you over.
Another aspect is how manufacturers arrive at those ratings. SAE J2807 has a number of performance targets to hit, and repeated hill starts and the Davis dam grade are what limits the towing capacity and it's pretty much only determined by gearing, transmission and engine. Braking and steering is unrelated but again, safe and sound with a properly set up combination is key.