New owner - 1996 Sport 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87LC2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Hey guys, new member and owner of a 96 Sport 4x4. I got this a couple months ago from a woman who lives across the street from me. It sat for years and I finally asked about it, long story short she was nice enough to give it to me. It's a regular cab short bed 4x4 with the 5.2 Magnum and Posi rear.

When I first started working on the truck it was parked for at least 3-4 years. I put some Heet in the fuel tank, primed the oil pump, and she fired right up with a battery charger hooked up. As I went to put it in gear and drive it across the street the brake pedal went to the floor...I've replaced all of the fuel lines and brake lines with stainless along with new rotors/pads and shoes/drums.

Other than that I've just given it a good cleaning and have been enjoying it. I've never owned a truck and am absolutely in love with this Ram. It still needs a few things, but I'll get to them in time. It has 126k miles and everything looks to be original, definitely needs shocks and the front end done.

Just wanted to share some photos, this looks to be a great forum for 2nd gen info, I've already found soem very helpful threads as I've been working on the truck.

IMG_6272.JPG IMG_6273.JPG IMG_6275.JPG IMG_6277.JPG IMG_6278.JPG

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Looks great! I had a 2000 Sport in the same color. Mine was a QC but looking at yours brings back memories. Well done!

OP
OP

87LC2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Looks great! I had a 2000 Sport in the same color. Mine was a QC but looking at yours brings back memories. Well done!

Thank you. I definitley think a QC (or even extended cab) would be a lot more useful, but I do like the look of the short cab/short bed. I think a tonneau cover will help, will get around to that eventually.

multimopes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow That is beautiful, looks almost new! Welcome aboard from NJ and best of luck with it. I had a 99 Sport with the same package and loved it. Unfortunately the frame rotted out so I upgraded to a 2000 Sport with the long bed & 360. Both were Intense Blue Pearl as pictured in my avatar.
:welcome:

OP
OP

87LC2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Thanks. The Intense Blue Pearl is a great color. Really enjoying the truck, I think the stance on the Sport package trucks is perfect.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Very nice!
That's in great shape!
I like to see those old survivors still on the road...

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Very clean! Congrats!

Few things these are notorious for is the intake manifold gasket on the bottom blows out. Not an if but when. Various opinions on best way to fix.

Also transmissions are notorious for going bad but it's because people never service them and overheat the hell out of em. Recommended service interval is 30,000 miles

OP
OP

87LC2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Thanks for the compliments guys.

I did remove the throttle body to clean it out as well as clean the IAC valve. I looked in the plenum and it was very clean, no oil or oil puddles at all. Plugs look good as well. Going to assume the plenum is OK for now. I run the truck on 87 and no pinging at all, runs great. It also does not have the "death flash" as far as I can tell (no sticker on the ECM).

As far as the trans it shifts great. I removed the check valve and cleaned it out and plan on changing the fluid in the next week or so. I have heard of issues with the governer pressure transducer and solenoid and was going to change them when I had the pan out. My dad's voice in the back of my head got the best of me (if it aint broke dont fix it), so I'm just going to drop the pan, replace filter, and fill it up with fresh Mopar ATF+4. If issues arise later I'll deal with them then. I'm actually very happy with how it shifts, very responsive.

The truck was babied as far as trucks go. Doubt it was ever towed with and the bed liner looks like new. I think she just drove it around on the weekends, pretty light duty stuff. Overall I couldnt be happier with it. I look for any excuse to take it out. Have not been driving it to work as I have a 100 mile commute daily and these don't seem to be great on the mpgs.